Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 01:39 AM

Angry Swimsuit descriptions

With the exception of Aussiebum and Speedo (the solar 1"), none of the major online companies like Swim Outlet, Zappo, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc., report the length in inches of the sides of the suits in their descriptions. I find this very frustrating to have to guesstimate whether it's 1.5 or 2 or 2.5 - you get picture. Am I just being picky or are other folks annoyed by this as well?

Dooley67
Old 06-23-2014, 02:38 AM

Default Annoyed?

Yes - and a timely thread there as I have also just come across this newspaper article where the journalist, as usual, doesn't know a speedo from a night-gown.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/fashion-b...peedos-for-men
Daniel Craig wears "tiny trunks" (far from it) and David Beckham has Speedos (no they aren't - it is Emporio Armani) ( and after all one would expect nothing less of brand-concious Becks)

Inaccuracies aside it seems that I had better demand the side seam measurement in purchasing my "swim shorts" - these being the only acceptable male beach attire this season, according to the travel company "survey".

Last edited by Byron : 06-23-2014 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:35 AM

Default spd descriptions

yes very annoyed, yet its hard to understand why better descriptions of there products would permit them to sell more easely and allso just to add that at ebay how many times do i see European sellers mentionning sizes according to there countries, yet they offer to the whole wide world so should they not mention sizes according to north american standards (Canada -US) I even emailed a seller from France asking him if his suit would fit a sz 32 or 34 by north american standards and he gave me as an answer DESOLE NOUS NE SOMME PAS FAMILIER AVEC LES GRANDEURS NORTH AMERICAINES, (SORRY WE ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH NORTH AMERICAN SIZES, my reply COMMENT POUVEZ VOUS ETRE AUSSI STUPIDE (HOW CAN YOU BE SO STUPID.LOL
Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Speedo Member

Even with proper size descriptions it's hard to get what you want. I have a 36" arena, a XXL turbo, a L and XL aussie bum, an XL Caussie. They are all over the place.

That's true about buying cloths online. It's a role of the dice the first few times.

I only buy my kids one kind of suit and it was easy. Once they out grew one size, get the next one up! Wish it was that easy for me.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron
Yes - and a timely thread there as I have also just come across this newspaper article where the journalist, as usual, doesn't know a speedo from a night-gown.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/fashion-b...peedos-for-men
Daniel Craig wears "tiny trunks" (far from it) and David Beckham has Speedos (no they aren't - it is Emporio Armani) ( and after all one would expect nothing less of brand-concious Becks)
A 'fashion faux-pas' to wear briefs? So women should have no problem if men wear them to swim in as opposed to posing in?
Old 06-23-2014, 07:37 PM

Default Sizes on some web sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofan
Even with proper size descriptions it's hard to get what you want. I have a 36" arena, a XXL turbo, a L and XL aussie bum, an XL Caussie. They are all over the place.

That's true about buying cloths online. It's a role of the dice the first few times.

I only buy my kids one kind of suit and it was easy. Once they out grew one size, get the next one up! Wish it was that easy for me.

Some web sites like international jock list the side seam length. However, other web sites like Swimoutlet do not. But you are right that even with descriptions, its hard get the size correctly.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:39 PM

I suspect a chain such as Dick's Sporting Goods makes very little money on swimsuit sales (compared to what they make on overpriced athletic shoes/sneakers, sportswear, etc.), so they just offer a few basic Speedo and TYR 'briefs' to satisfy the general public. And the general public is not focused on whether the suit has 2.5" or 3" sides. Swim Outlet mainly supplies team swimsuits - and again, I don't think most male members of swim teams really care if the sides are 2.5" or 3" - they will just order a 'brief' suit or 'jammer' suit according to personal taste or desire. Members of this web site, however, are certainly focused on the difference in appearance between a 1.5", 2", 2.5", or 3" suit, but I suspect that focus is related more to aesthetic desires rather than swimming functionality. That's why we visit this board - to trade info on what suits have what size side seams so we know what will 'suit' us!
Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 PM

That's a very "suitable" explanation you gave Swimmboy, and I think you may very well be correct.

D67
Old 06-24-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley67
With the exception of Aussiebum and Speedo (the solar 1"), none of the major online companies like Swim Outlet, Zappo, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc., report the length in inches of the sides of the suits in their descriptions. I find this very frustrating to have to guesstimate whether it's 1.5 or 2 or 2.5 - you get picture. Am I just being picky or are other folks annoyed by this as well?

Dooley67
Agree. I've often asked vendors about the width of the sides. Being a bikini lover anything bigger than 3 cm is no use.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Speedo Member

I've never bought a suit at a "regular" sporting good store. Always online. There's never a selection and even the boardies don't have much of a variety.

I think they do cater to the mass and for guys like us who are very specific about what we want and like, it's hard to find a store worth going too.