Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM

Default New materials

Just wondering how everyone feels about the new materials that companies like speedo and tyr are using to make the suits last longer.

i don't really like them, they seem to have less stretch and the thicker material makes the leg hole seams much more bulky.

What are your thoughts?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:47 PM

A thin Lycra fabric with a high Elastane content will stretch around you like a second skin, you may forget you are wearing them, but chemicals in the pool water and the ultraviolet in day light will rapidly break down the Elastane leaving you with a floppy nylon suit.

A frequent swimmer may prefer an Endurance type swim suit, the fabric is thicker and the Elastane content is reduced. This will make the suit last longer for daily training. This suit will not feel like a second skin.
Around the leg holes are 2 or 3 layers of fabric and a loop of elastic. The greater thickness of an Endurance suit will be doubled or tripled and may be noticeable. At the points where the front, back and other panels meet the total thickness of fabric is again doubled perhaps forming a noticeable lump of fabric that could make the wearer uncomfortable in the water and even sore if a swimsuit is worn as underwear.

if you don't like your Endurance type suit put it at the back of the closet and get a new Lycra suit but be prepared to replace it if you swim every day, or are lazy and leave your swimwear in soggy plastic bags.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 PM

I like the Speedo Endurance suits, but I swim 2-3 times per week, so really appreciate the longer-lasting fabric that keeps its shape and color for much longer than the Lycra suits. But as noted elsewhere, the somewhat thicker fabric is not quite as 'sexy' or form-fitting! What's hot about the Endurance suit is that the side seams tend to wear out/rip open while the rest of the suit still looks good. I've seen several college swimmers at my local pool with the sides of their suit ripped apart, and that looks totally hot...
Old 03-10-2014, 06:21 PM

Default torn seams

that sounds interesting. Do you have any that have done that? post a pic if you do!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 PM

Default Pic

Can't trace the guys from Swimmboy's pool but here's an illustration of stretching things a little too much on an old bodysuit:
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...g_1452183c.jpg
Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 PM

Haven't we seen that picture before on here?
Old 03-11-2014, 01:41 AM

Default repeat?

Seemed a little familiar - from whom and on what date?