Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2020, 02:23 AM

Default Difference between Briefs and Bikinis

Are there any differences between briefs and men's bikinis besides the length of the side seam? What about in regards to use for serious swimming?
Old 04-08-2020, 03:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to dm106 Send a message via Skype™ to dm106

From my competitive swim days, briefs were pretty universally worn, not bikinis. Towards the end of my competitive swim days, longer leg suits (jammers) and square cuts began to appear on the scene. I never saw anybody in a bikini (like really narrow sides) at a swim meet or even in practice. I'm curious what others may have worn or observed in their competitions.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:27 PM

There is a total confusion of terms in the definition of men's swimwear. Different brands use different names according to whim.
Chinese Ebay sellers seem to load keywords into a title so instead of advertising a men's swim bikini brief they'll name it a men's swim bikini brief tanga thong jockstrap G string.

I would guess that a swim brief with a side width of less than 2"/ 3cm is a bikini swim brief.
While a swim brief with a side width of between 2" to 3" is a European or classic racing swim brief, and between 3" and 5" is an American swim brief.

A tanga also known as a string bikini has fabric covered elastic between front and back panels. Desmiit have recently launched a new swim tanga range, possibly following Aussibum doing the same last year. A tanga will tend to have a 3/4 rear as opposed to a full rear on a racing swim brief.

A swim thong has a front pouch, narrow sides and minimal rear. The rear will slip into the ass crack revealing one's ass cheeks. It has a waist elastic and 2 leg hole elastics all covered in fabric.

A G string or posing pouch has a front pouch held in position by an uncovered waist elastic and an uncovered rear strap through the ass crack. Don't expect to be comfortable in a G string. G strings are not intended for swimming.

A jockstrap or athletic support has a front pouch and a waist elastic, traditional sports jockstraps have very wide waist elastic. Swim jockstraps worn under swimsuits have narrow waist elastic.
A jockstrap has rear elastic straps along the lines where a racing swim brief's leg elastic would run each side.
There is a current fashion for jockstraps with circular or oval rear holes constructed from elastic and fabric.
Apart from swim jockstraps (which are worn under swim suits), jockstraps are made from cotton based fabrics and not intended for swimming, so you are unlikely to see anyone swimming in a jockstrap, though I have seen men in jockstraps on beaches and in the dunes.

Any brief or thong with a Lycra or Endurance fabric and a waist cord/string is probably intended to be swum in.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:53 PM

Default Back in the 1970s...

Practically any swimmer in major competition (and most minor ones) wore a Swim brief with about a 3-inch side.

Then the European swimmers started showing up wearing skimpier briefs with narrower sides, at first modestly skimpier with maybe a 2-inch side. The American guys started thinking that if they were to be competitive they had to wear something similar, and started doing so.

These briefs were styled to look like the regular briefs with wider sides, but the sides gradually morphed into a 1-inch side. Pretty soon most of the swimming competitions featured guys in suits with 1-inch sides but they were not called bikinis. The fit became snugger as well

Then suddenly everyone decided a jammer made from a special fabric that mimicked sharkskin or was faster than regular human skin, which led to the swim meets were all guys covered to half knee. Then the full body suits eventually ruled illegal. Then to the mix we see today.

At a typical high school swim meet the videos I see reveal about a third of the participants back to briefs with maybe a 2 1/2 inch side. I notice in a lot of the meets the winning swimmer is wearing a brief not a jammer, and this is gradually having an impact over time on what guys wear.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:38 AM

Default Competitive Swimming

I believe competitive male swimmers are required to wear a swimsuit with at least a 10 cm or 2.5 inch side seam.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:49 AM

Default Competitive Swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist75
I believe competitive male swimmers are required to wear a swimsuit with at least a 10 cm or 2.5 inch side seam.
I also think I read somewhere that the speedo solar was designed with a 1' inseam partly to allow competitive swimmers to swim and sun in public places and have a small enough untanned area that none of it would show when wearing a competition suit.
Old 04-11-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist75
I also think I read somewhere that the speedo solar was designed with a 1' inseam partly to allow competitive swimmers to swim and sun in public places and have a small enough untanned area that none of it would show when wearing a competition suit.

I have worn my Speedo Solar swimwear in public, but only when I have folded in the inseam to make it 1/2". Otherwise, they have been seldom used. They're not minimalist enough for my taste due to I prefer to wear even less with thongs and g-strings. My wife and I have a new young couple neighbor living nearby on over 5 acres due to one of the elderly lesbian couple neighbors whom were previously living there developed some respiratory health issues with living at our high desert like climate of a 6,000 foot high altitude. They have both recently moved away. I might have to wear something more conservative while working outdoors during our hot (daily nearing 100F) weather season. Bummer. I used to be able to chat with them wearing nothing but my micro string thong bikini bottoms. Unfortunately, our new neighbors are clearly visible with being just 300 yards away.

Here's a
https://www.the-bottom-drawer.com/sp...solar-1-brief/
Old 04-11-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbie
Practically any swimmer in major competition (and most minor ones) wore a Swim brief with about a 3-inch side.

Then the European swimmers started showing up wearing skimpier briefs with narrower sides, at first modestly skimpier with maybe a 2-inch side. The American guys started thinking that if they were to be competitive they had to wear something similar, and started doing so.

These briefs were styled to look like the regular briefs with wider sides, but the sides gradually morphed into a 1-inch side. Pretty soon most of the swimming competitions featured guys in suits with 1-inch sides but they were not called bikinis. The fit became snugger as well

Then suddenly everyone decided a jammer made from a special fabric that mimicked sharkskin or was faster than regular human skin, which led to the swim meets were all guys covered to half knee. Then the full body suits eventually ruled illegal. Then to the mix we see today.

At a typical high school swim meet the videos I see reveal about a third of the participants back to briefs with maybe a 2 1/2 inch side. I notice in a lot of the meets the winning swimmer is wearing a brief not a jammer, and this is gradually having an impact over time on what guys wear.

Are there any of these 1 inch briefs still around for sale?
Old 04-12-2020, 11:50 AM

Glenda, Do and wear what you want. I now have a close neighbor who destroyed a very heavy tree lot to build a McMansion. Every tree gone. I always, in the morning, go for coffee in my kitchen, a bite to eat and the paper, usually in my underwear (stylish) or nothing at all. I continue to do this, for I see if they wish not to look at me, stop looking out the windows. They created the line of sight with out trees.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:23 PM

Great advice Singletlover. At our high altitude the sun in quite intense and the 100 degree days it becomes unbearable without wearing a thong. There's seldom any cloud cover over 300 days a year.

My wife never had wanted to plant large trees on our closest northern neighbor's side due to it would block their view of the 11,000 feet nearby high mountains. Our new neighbor though stated that he was going to take out the gate between our properties. I mentioned to him that when it snows here somewhat heavily (3 feet plus) our home's road might be his only access out when his road becomes too snowbound. He over confidently replied that he has a 4x4 pickup and so doesn't see any issue. My wife told me that his 4x4 is a wimpy city use paved street pickup compared to our 4x4 Power Wagon which was built to tackle this climate. It is factory equipped with tire chains, huge off road tires, front and rear locking differentials, and a winch. My wife is talking about planting some 30 large trees against and along our new neighbor's fence now. Screw him.

We also have a $4 million dollar mansion up our road, but it is seldom used, other than as a holiday home. City folks don't get living up here due to my southern neighbors work outdoors nude with no concerns. I only wear clothing due to having my stuff exposed they're more likely to get bitten or stung by insects and possibly be injured while working outdoors.