Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM

Lightbulb 1966 and all that....

Ah, I now see a fellow recollector (is there such a word?) in Torchwatch.
He is right because I once wore one in that period and as it happens in an old Victorian pool too.
Yes, no good trying to put eyelets into Lycra - it had to be a non-stretch material (which was a sort of satin cotton)
- and that's why I soon hated the awful fit.

I now have to ask him the name of the BBC commentator who uttered
the immortal words of the World Cup victory (was it Kenneth Wolstenholme ?)
Old 04-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Default PS on Jantzen

Might it be true to say that the USA's Jantzen held (and may still hold) the esteem of
Oz's Speedo?
(as I recall it was generally regarded as a quality product but family finances
inevitably demanded a cheaper purchase for the kids' swimsuits).
Old 04-29-2012, 02:40 PM

Default Jantzen

Prior to the invention of Lycra, tight fitting swim suits depended on rubberized fabrics to achieve stretch. Although they look quaint and unfashionable now, Elvis's swimsuit was typical for the time.

As a kid I remember seeing a boy my age at the beach wearing a suit with no sides, similar to that Jantzen ad with the pipe (the boy wasn't smoking one, however). I thought he was incredibly bold.

One summer I had a Jantzen suit that was visually and functional identical to a nylon Speedo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2829817228298173large.jpg (40.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-29-2012, 03:47 PM

Default When were briefs popular for non-competition or lap?

When were briefs popular outside of competition or lap-swimmers?

Looking at this archive of Jantzen ads in this web site, it seems that 1970's or 1980's had most ads for briefs for mainstream (probably stuff you buy in department stores), plus there's an ad describing Lycra

http://www.advertisingarchives.co.uk/index.php?service=search&action=do_quick_search&la nguage=en&q=jantzen

Last edited by JamesSwim : 04-29-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Default Briefs

Some good pics there - and I would even go back a little
earlier with dates.

It was possible to find what Brazilians would call tangas in conservative "gentlemen's outfitters" - such daring beach
and swim briefs* would not be seen there today.

Fast-moving fabric techonology had its influence on styles
and colors of course and speedos were only part of a new
fashion trend that encouraged the wearing as leisurewear
of athletic clothing only previously attributable to a particular
sport (just see the profitable paraphenalia for sale in soccer
club shops).

Winston Churchill's romper suit of WWII became the new and
(sometimes horribly) colored shell suit or track suit to be worn
to the shopping mall for example.

* terminology has changed - to say swimbriefs meant precisely
that and was an alternative to "swimming trunks".
I have learned from much earlier confused searching on the internet
however that briefs in the USA means underpants (but, just to make
things even more confusing, trousers are pants).
Old 04-30-2012, 02:52 AM

Default Two comments on items above

Old geezer that I am, I not only remember Parr bikinis but I still have a yellow nylon (not chamois) Parr side snap bikini. It's still such a sexy suit that I can't throw it away even though it is not really wearable anymore because all of the leg and waist elastic is shot. And, yes, after all these years it still fits me!

I remember seeing an article in Life magazine about men's open sided swim suits when I was very young (but not too young to pay close attention to the illustrations). I remember that the article, which also had a very brief women's suit, was the occasion of a fire-and-brimstone sermon from our priest about modern day immorality and lack of modesty.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 AM

Default Jantzen and pipe Smoking

In the 1950's smoking a pipe was considered a very normal, conventional thing to to do. Having a pipe and slippers suggested that you had a home, a wife, a dog and a couple of children. Jantzen has taken Mr Conventional and allowed him and his family a holiday/vacation, he is relaxing in the sunshine with his pipe and his wife. He may be wearing rather daring side-less swimming trunks but because he is such a conventional and conforming person his wearing them is just fashion and in no way sexually explicit or inappropriate.

In the 1970's and 80's swimming briefs were just what you chose to swim in, you could choose colours and patterns to suit your mood. Although pipes had gone out of fashion anyone, any age could wear Speedos. Then somehow the male body became sexually explicit, and wearing brief, tight swim suits in public was thought inappropriate and the conformists covered up.

Wearing brief swimwear on the beach is sensuous and exciting, at their peak Janzten made it seem conventional and almost boring, and as they got the conformists on their side they made money while the celibate priests raged and fumed.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM

Default evolution of suits.....

Effectively Jantzen and Catalina suits were very popular (end of the fifties, early sixties) were very popular in the USA they were even the favorites of Hollywood mouvie stars, however they were mostly more the 3 inches sides, however at the end of the sixties some 3 inches sides did appear, I dont know why but Jantzen quit making mens suits and kept on making women suits as till this day, as for Catalina suits they simply quit making them.
An old friend of mine who now passed away gave me one , it was a maroon color 4 inches sides with a satin bright like material.

They were consedered as very skimy and sexy suits at the time no wonder they were favorites for mouvie stars.

Yes Parr of Arizona did offer a side lace up suit If my memory is correct (NOT SURE) the fabrick was a kind of light brown or golden color.

Speaking of a lace up chamois suit I have seen one advertized on the net not so long ago, but unfortunetely I cant locate the site, (Or the firm that sold it) To bad I desperately want one for myself, can anyone remember the site or firm.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 AM

Default pix

LOL - in the amusing bit of photoshopping for Elvis in Blue Hawaii* the studio seems to have taken his suit's waistband almost up to his armpits!

Compare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQxqZ...eature=related
(why the swimfins I don't know)

Here we seem to have our Jantzen pipe-man in close up:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-j...zen+trunks.jpg

*have to confess only time I have walked out of a cinema in a movie - couldn't take any more of such an awful script and acting
Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 AM

Smile This popular thread

You started something of interest on speedo history here on 11th March James -
you've already had 58 posts and 1740 viewings.