Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2017, 07:25 PM

Default Peer Pressure

I just thought I'd share this....

On our recent cruise, while I was sitting on a bar stool at the pool bar (wearing a speedo, of course), a 20-something guy walked behind my back and said, "Courageous."

I couldn't help but smile. He didn't stop, just kept walking. I think he was with a girl. I suspect he may be one of those guys who'd love to try wearing a speedo, but is too afraid to let go and just do it.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:13 PM

Not as courageous as them wearing loose-fitting board shorts. When they leave the pool the shorts slip down to reveal half their bottom. I don't have the courage to bare my ass in public!
Old 01-16-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede735
Not as courageous as them wearing loose-fitting board shorts. When they leave the pool the shorts slip down to reveal half their bottom. I don't have the courage to bare my ass in public!

Seriously? Giving in to peer pressure to cover your body from waist to knees while swimming and laying out in the sun is NOT courage. No one cares if they're showing half their ass. They do it all the time with their pants hanging down all day long.

There is nothing dumber looking than a guy laying out, supposedly trying to get a tan, with dork shorts on. Even seeing a naked guy with a tan line at his waist and below the knees....is ridiculous.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:16 PM

I am not sure if it is peer pressure that causes males to not wear speedos in the U.S.. I think it is just the fashion in the U.S.. This makes them less likely to be sold in general clothing stores (Target, JC Penny, etc...) and as a result less people buy and wear them.

Hopefully that will change. I have found that men's underwear sold in general clothing stores in the U.S. is becoming more diverse (more brief and bikini types) over the past few years. This could transition into a change in swimming fashion as well .
Old 01-16-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedomoon
I am not sure if it is peer pressure that causes males to not wear speedos in the U.S.. I think it is just the fashion in the U.S.. This makes them less likely to be sold in general clothing stores (Target, JC Penny, etc...) and as a result less people buy and wear them.

Hopefully that will change. I have found that men's underwear sold in general clothing stores in the U.S. is becoming more diverse (more brief and bikini types) over the past few years. This could transition into a change in swimming fashion as well .

I agree with you and believe that is part of the equation. I think there are multiple factors involved. Clothing, like most trends, tend to recur in cycles.

Personally, I think people tend to prefer something different, or opposite, of what their parents had or used. You see a similar trend with carpet vs hardwood, 'shabby chic' vs modern.

Guys who grew up in the speedo era, often think the young guys wearing their long shorts look silly, and vice versa. I suspect when the young guys wearing long shorts have children, they'll be wearing short shorts and speedos and cycle will continue.

Just my personal observations. I'm sure everyone has their own opinion and view on such things.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:16 PM

I wasn't really trying to start a discussion of board shorts vs speedos. I just wanted to share the comment.

But, hey, whatever gets people talking is great!
Old 01-18-2017, 04:30 AM

Default peer pressure

I am not an American and I do not mean to offend. }My impression, however, is that far too many Americans believe in, or say they believe, the whole set of bullshit fairy tales which is religion. From that, it seems to me, stems a whole culture of utterly phoney and hyporitical "morality". It is not about ethics but usually about sexual behaviour. Middle aged women have set themselves as arbiters of public taste in matters sexual and what they think supposedly innocent children should see or not see. The idea that kids' minds will be polluted b y seeing a man who is unmistakably equipped with what all men have, but not, for example, by seeing their schoolmates killed by a madman with all too readily available guns, is breathtaking in its hypocrisy.

Tell these Mother Grundy's to get fucked (actually a bit more of that would do them a lot of good).
Old 01-18-2017, 12:21 PM

In response to Georgeoz: Before we go bashing America, lets think about this. Brief swimwear is no longer common in far more nations than America. Even Australia, the claimed mecca of swimwear freedom, is predominantly board shorts on guys. American fashion is as much dictated by other cultures as it is home grown. I am not just defendng America, I get offended when we segregate one nation or culture and bash it. I actually think that the problem with brief swimwear acceptance is as much an issue that many of the claimed "speedo lovers" haven't got the balls to actually wear them outside of their bedroom and when they do they have the misguided self perception that everyone is wathcing them, while most couldn't care less. I only wear brief swimwear wherever I wear a swimsuit. Always have. Maybe an occasional comment, but it has never, ever been an issue. In fact, the only place I was ever told to "put some clothes on" was in none other than Austarlia on a trip.

Lets talk about swimsuits and not false perceptions that insult an entire nation's people.

STS
Old 01-18-2017, 10:06 PM

I've never had a problem wearing brief swimsuits in over 25 years. Just isn't an issue.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:05 PM

My husband tells me I'm too old to wear speedos. I like them, so I wear them. I don't care what he or anyone else thinks.