Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Off Topic > Off Topic Chat and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2016, 09:29 AM

Default Have you experienced leg cramps while swimming?

Hi. Swimming is my hobby and passion. I feel relaxed after swimming.Now, I cannot swim properly because of leg cramps. My friend who is a physiotherapist in Burlington said that it is caused mainly due to mineral deficiency or by insufficient blood supply to the area.He advised me to consume plenty of water and consume food which is rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium. Anyone here had experienced leg cramps while swimming? What do you do to prevent it? Please advise.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:49 AM

Bananas are a good source of potassium. The doc is right about mineral requirements. And drink lots of water to keep hydrated. Some stretching will help also.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:00 AM
Speedo Member

Water water water, stretch stretch stretch!
Old 10-21-2016, 07:34 PM

Default Not solved them either.

I sometimes get them badly too while training for swimming. Used to be in the calf and was more severe when wearing training flippers so I have jettisoned them. More recently it is the upper leg. I manage to stretch them - was also advised calcium. Someone else said it was linked to swimming training after too much cycling. I never get cramps cycling.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:20 AM

Default Stretch, drink, keep swimming, stretch more

Where in the leg? I get the in my lower leg if I cycle hard and then swim, in my hamstrings if I push a long run then swim. Stretching long slow pulls helps, no bounce. For lower leg, flex the foot and hold. Agree on lots of potassium and water. Easy, slow kicks with a kick board also help. Long slow stretches on the pool deck also help. It sounds to me like you have overstrained and caused tight inflexibility, but keep up calcium, mag and zinc. Just do not overdue those as mineral excess is hard on the body. Hope this helps.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:15 AM

Yes. I have experienced leg cramps while swimming. My veins also become swollen up.