Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2020, 04:38 PM

Default Missing the "Good Old Days"

Speaking as an American, I really miss the "good old days" back in the 70's to the 90's - when speedos and skimpier swimwear weren't so "stigmatized". I swam in college and then was on Masters Swim teams post-grad, so wore Speedos as a part of my life. After college I and then after marriage I continued wearing them at the family beach house. Even my father-in-law wore a red speedo at the time (and this was in the deep South). My wife and I (and then our children after they arrived) would travel to tropical climates often and I never thought twice about wearing suits to the beach with sides as small as 3/4" or less (and an occasional thong). The catalog "International Male" opened up the World of more minimal swimwear for men - both gay and straight. I'd wear the same "skimpy" suits when traveling with friends as well - no one cared or said a thing. There were no preconceived ideas, and there were lots more people wearing them. People seemed more accepting in those days and it was more live and let live - without the snide comments about what someone might be wearing.

Somehow when the baggy board shorts came in vogue (about the same time basketball players started wearing their shorts to their knees) everything changed. Suddenly unless you were a competitive swimmer, wearing a Speedo became awkward.

Maybe the pendulum is swinging back some towards Speedos and more minimal swimwear in the Main Stream now - I certainly hope so. I know at my age my time has passed - but for the younger generation I hope you get to enjoy the freedom I had without the feeling of being out of place that seems to have been prevalent during these past years.

Last edited by Speed-Will : 05-25-2020 at 07:11 PM.