Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 04:18 AM

Default Sauna Etiquette

My gym has a coed sauna (and steam and hot tub), which means swimsuits are required. Most of the men, of course, wear shorts. While I'm fine wearing a bikini to swim laps, I'd feel a bit out of place wearing one in the spa area. The smallest I've got in a square cut. I've gone au naturel at places like Baden Baden with men and women, but nudity is taboo in the US.

How do you feel about wearing a bikini in the sauna in mixed company?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 AM

Default Why an issue?

Why is this even an issue?...I've worn a nice neon yellow thong in Hotel hot tubs, co-ed as all get out.

Having said that, there are different unwritten "rules" about acceptable attire depending on where you are at. I was in a hot tub in San Dioego CA. BUT I would probably think twice before wearing the little neon thong in a not-so-urban locale in a Southern Bible Belt State. But a 3" blue Speedo should be fine anywhere. In San Diego, the yellow thong didn't even get a second glance...just normal and quite acceptable hot tub attire.

As I understand it, at private homes, most hot tub parties in California are completely clothing optional, and most everyone will be in a hot tub--men and women completely nude. But on the east coast, everyone at a private hot tub party wears a suit, perhaps a big(ger) suit. What happens at public facilities in each case is just an extension of what happens in hot tub parties at private homes, and in San Diego the thong ends up being the "modest" choice...what is considered a modest dress at one geographic location is perhaps seen as revealing and unmodest at another..

Bottom line: if you are concerned about modesty in this situation wear a 3" classic blue Speedo and you should be fine.

I wish people everywhere were comfortable in their own skins, but that is not the case.

Sebbie
Old 06-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Default Heat damage

Before you wear your nicest Speedo to the hot tub or sauna, take time to think about the damage the heat will render to the Lycra fabric.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:46 PM

Default sauna attire

Have to agree with Sebbie - "When in Rome...." etc.

As a square cut is available to wear maybe opt for that
as the compromise to offend nobody at either extreme ?

(a clearly stated piece of guidance from the gym concerned
might not be amiss here in order to alleviate any doubts)
Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM

Default Push the Envelope

Next time you go to the mixed costumes compulsory sauna suite wear something slightly briefer than last time.
If you are comfortable and no one complains, then keep it up for a while.
One day go shopping and buy something slightly briefer, tighter and more colourful than the current suit, wear it to your sauna and see how you and the others react.
Wear this suit until you start thinking of something even more exciting, while you are at it watch the other sauna users and see if anyone else starts wearing brief suits and bikinis.

We did it in the 1970's and 80's daring each other to wear ever shorter, shinier and more side split running shorts.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 PM

Check around. The spa I go to is all men (woman have their own rooms) and nude prevails in the jacuzzis and saunas. Actually, except in private homes, I've never been in a coed sauna or jacuzzi.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:59 PM

Default coed facilities

Mixed sex saunas will often be found at UK public pools.

Such pools in Europe (at least Switzerland I know) have
mixed changing room also.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:27 PM

Default Sauna.......

Hey Torchwatch that reminds me of a friend living in England recently telling me that he waon an award (CERTIFICATE OR SOMETHING) for wearing the shortest shorts oh his rugby team.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 PM

My rugby shorts are faded navy cotton, short, old and comfortable, and I am wearing them now.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 PM

Default wear what u r comfortable in

Hey Jackk78: I am perfectly fine wearing a very brief cut swimsuit in the sauna, hot tub, or in general around mixed gender company (no thongs, though for me). It's never been an issue, even in really conservative appearing locations. However, the key is to wear what makes you comfortable and if a brief cut suit doesn't work for you, don't worry about it. Having said that, based on your pics you have a very nice looking body for whatever suit you choose