Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Lycra Forums > General Mens Lycra Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2020, 12:13 PM

Default The "Starter" brand of compression gear

“Starter” was a brand name under which athletic apparel and shoes were sold primarily at Wal Mart. Interestingly the brand was once owned by Nike (2005-2007) as it made an attempt to sell apparel and shoes in the discount market. But Nike sold the brand to another company and the brand name has gradually faded from the store shelves. I checked this morning and on the Wal mart Web site there are about a dozen different men’s athletic shoes bearing the starter brand name but that is about it.

In its prime, for about 10 years, the Starter brand was used by Wal mart to sell discount compression gear. This was the same period of time when the high-end compression gear was sold in athletic stores under the Undergear brand name at the big box athletic stores. The price differential was substantial—a basic Undergear compression tee or pair of shorts would run $25-30 but the equivalent product at a Wal mart store as Starter gear was maybe $12.

And I really liked the fit and feel of the Wal mart “Starter” Compression gear. They came in lots of different colors, and the fit was, well, skin tight—just the way I like my compression gear. I still have lots of this stuff and wear it regularly. The tees I wore pretty much every day under another shirt. Those I wore frequently gradually deteriorated. I still have a few of these tees that I did not wear as often.

The shorts held up better, and I still have many of these in good to excellent condition in all sorts of colors. There was a version with shorter legs and one with longer legs, and I have a number of both types. But what I like the most about them is the skin tight fit. Still, I would wear these in my yard no problem.

I am wearing one of the longer legged pairs today in a solid Charcoal Gray with the “Starter” brand name on the waistband, and it feels really really good and snug—just the way I like my compression gear to fit. I will go stationary biking and rowing later this morning. Of course I am also wearing a way undersized pair of tighty whiteys underneath though I could go with a strap or thong or both instead. I really like the combination of the two for working out and I know I have kept up my exercise programs more regularly because of the fit and feel of my gear.

The compression gear I get nowadays on Amazon is nice, but that seems to have more stretch to it, and does not give me quite the body feel I experience wearing my old Starter Compression gear. I really like to feel horny when I am working out as it helps we work out with more enthusiasm and the exercise time will pass quickly. No problem today for sure!
Old 08-19-2020, 11:24 AM

I remember them well. I do believe prior to Starter there was Spalding sold at Wally World. Vert tight and felt wonderful wearing them. Multiple colors were offered. I still have a few pairs, but I am sure the waist band has probably deteriorated.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:44 PM

Just saw this week that Amazon is now selling some Starter apparel.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Captain.Jammer
Talking I love my Starter gear, too

Yes, the Starter brand was a welcome relief from the higher priced Under Armour. I got several of their shirts and the long-legged shorts. Love the fit and feel of them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starter-spandex-shirt-grey-L1.jpg (76.6 KB, 10 views)