Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2016, 10:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Captain.Jammer
Thumbs up A major step for me

Those that know me from my posts on here know of my love for Jammers because of my size. And that I also wear a rash guard to try to cover my big stomach and my back hair.

Me in my black Body Glove rash guard and Hapari 'Hawaii' print jammers (taken a few years ago) by C J, on Flickr

Sadly, that black rash guard that goes well with many of my jammers has been deteriorating. It has large patches where (according to a friend that noticed) the material has become pretty much see-through when stretched. It is looking pretty shot, actually.

My regular gym membership is currently suspended (it's crazy! they expect you to pay on time!), so I went to check out a different gym and take a tour, the other day. The facility has two indoor pools and one outdoor pool. The indoor area was quiet, but outdoors, I saw three guys swimming laps. One, I did not get a good look at, but the other two guys were actually in racer cut suits! That made me feel that the people at this gym are pretty serious about swimming. At the end of the tour, I was given a card good for me to try out this gym for a week for free.

I went last night to try the place out and did some cardio, then wanted to hit the pool. My gym bag was still packed from the previous gym day when I discovered that I couldn't work out at my regular gym, so, I had my jammers --and that sad-looking rash guard -- with me. As I had been enjoying this nicer, more upscale gym during my cardio I was thinking about that sorry-looking rash guard. When I got to my locker to dress out for the pool, I was reflecting on what a nice gym this was... and that I didn't want to stand out as a cheap guy that continues to wear a worn out rash guard (I did not want to look like "white trash")... so I decided to muster up the courage to go swim without the rash guard. I was just in my Speedo Jammers:

Speedo LunarTwist jammer, front left by C J, on Flickr

That was the first time for me to ever swim (or actually do anything) out in public without some kind of shirt on. I felt awkward and like people were staring at my stomach or back... but I did not see anyone throw up or cover their eyes, which is good. It did help a lot that it was not very busy, though. Plus, I guess I had a little bit of motivation -- not only because of the guys I had seem in racer style suits the night before, helping me to think the folks attending this gym do not judge -- but when I had looked out at the pool before venturing out, I saw another guy there, that was even bigger than me, and he seemed fine being shirtless (though he was sporting baggy swim trunks).

But it was nice to not have anything on my upper body. I could feel the water flowing over my chest and stomach and back. It was different and nice.

Now, whether I will have the courage to do it again, I don't know. We will see.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:21 PM

Good for you! I remember when I first swam without a rash guard on during freshman year of uni 3 years ago. I too felt like everyone was staring at me. It gets easier the more you do it because it normalizes for you, and it seems like people sometimes notice the insecurity more than the actual shirtlessness because that's what actually stands out.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:50 AM

In the UK if you swam with any kind of shirt on in a public pool then everyone would stare at you.
We would notice and then ignore a big man or a hairy man but leave them alone unless they spoke to us.
Get used to having your shirt off in and around the pool, no one will mind, most people won't even be interested.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:16 PM

I have a similar problem, mine is not about weight. I swam in college and have speedos and swimming all my life. I'm 65 now, and within the past year or so, I've had surgeries due to Colon Cancer and later, liver Cancer. My abdomen looks like a roadmap to Tuscany. For the first time in my life, I should stay covered up. With scars, of course , this will now be a permanent issue.
I'm happy to say that my treatments are progressing well��
Old 06-04-2016, 06:02 PM

Wear your battle scars with pride for they are caused by the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.
If you look rubbish but swim well you will be admired for as the Goodies once said you should look older than you are so you can act younger than you look.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Speedo Member

Great look on you! Soon you'll be wearing a bikini with confidence.