Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 04:32 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSwim
Even if you don't have stretch, I prefer those to some new Lycra suits that may fit tight, but are thin, so you don't feel much support. Plus being so thin means it reveals more curves than I prefer.

I completely agree with you. That's one of the reasons I like the Turbo water polo suits because they don't show your package in any way that stands out (lol....pun intended).

D67
Old 09-04-2014, 04:34 PM

Before they started using the lycra all the suits were 100% nylon and fit great. Suits were generally 2 or 3 inches on the sides and either solid colors or stripes. (patterns came just before Lycra hit the market) There were also some all nylon suits that we called tank suits. They were about 5 or 6 inches on the side and had an inner "under pant". (They are now sold as drag or training suits) Lycra had fun patterns but as is the case today, they don't hold up anywhere as long as the nylon suits did. The also had to be treated better with rinsing and hand washing. The nylon suits got tossed in the lockers after practice while still wet with pool water and when washed went in the the reset of the wash. I still have 20+ year old nylon suits while not a single lycra suit lasted more than two. I think that Lycra was used so that guys would have to buy suits every year.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley67
I completely agree with you. That's one of the reasons I like the Turbo water polo suits because they don't show your package in any way that stands out (lol....pun intended).

D67
Dooley67,

Its the unlined swimwear that show off the male form. I think swimwear makers are using lighter weight material that makes it feel thinner. I'm sure the reason why the makers are using the light weight material is monetary.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:30 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaulis
Dooley67,

Its the unlined swimwear that show off the male form. I think swimwear makers are using lighter weight material that makes it feel thinner. I'm sure the reason why the makers are using the light weight material is monetary.

shaulis,

I'm sure that you're right about that. They say the lightweight material is for a faster swim, but money is the overriding reason.

D67
Old 09-04-2014, 09:41 PM

I have a Janzen swim brief in an orange-red Flag-like pattern with stars. It dates from about 1972. The material is not Lycra, but a woven material with rubberized threads intermingled like would be used in a jock-strap only finer.

This suit isnt in great shape, but its still together, more or less. I bought a Lycra Speedo about the same time. That one disintegrated many years ago, so this fabric was a lot sturdier.

The tags are still in the suit, recommending machine washing, cold. Unfortunately there is no tag indicating exactly what the material was.

This suit fit quite snug.

Sebbie
Old 09-05-2014, 01:09 AM

Default Lastex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbie
I have a Janzen swim brief in an orange-red Flag-like pattern with stars. It dates from about 1972. The material is not Lycra, but a woven material with rubberized threads intermingled like would be used in a jock-strap only finer.

This suit isnt in great shape, but its still together, more or less. I bought a Lycra Speedo about the same time. That one disintegrated many years ago, so this fabric was a lot sturdier.

The tags are still in the suit, recommending machine washing, cold. Unfortunately there is no tag indicating exactly what the material was.

This suit fit quite snug.

Sebbie

I think the fabric you have that is rubbery is lastex.

http://www.glamoursurf.com/articles/...8259/90530.htm

says:
"an elastic core wound around with cotton or silk or nylon or rayon threads"

I wish they still made these suits.

By the way, the site listed above is interesting. Lots of info on old swimwear. It even sells an "open side" suit that was discussed on this site a while back.

http://www.glamoursurf.com/catalog/i...40/9720487.htm

and also look at the ad on this page on Lastex

http://wearinghistoryblog.com/category/lastex/

Talk about high waisted suits! And "quick drying" worsted suits.

Last edited by JamesSwim : 09-05-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:27 PM

Default Here is a scan of the Janzen suit

The fabric is falling apart in back, but Lycra wouldn't be here at all in 40 years

Front
http://www.sebringsil.com/sw1.jpg

Rear:

http://www.sebringsil.com/sw2.jpg

Just for comparizon, here is a magenta Thong from Koalaswim.com. This is probably 10-12 years old and in great shape

http://www.sebringsil.com/sw3.jpg

And just for the fun of it, my new Seobean 40 years after the Janzen
http://www.sebringsil.com/sw4.jpg
Old 09-07-2014, 06:28 PM

Default In good condition

That's in good condition, considering how many years it's been. I presume the red suit was a darker color originally, but it's amazing how well it has kept up.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:48 PM

The color has not changed much. Interestingly it was always a bright orange-red
Old 09-29-2014, 01:05 PM

Long time no post all,
I was digging through some old photos on floppy discs and found 2 blasts from my past that I thought may be of interest. The first was in St.Augustine, I was about 13 or so. I don't know the history of the suit, just that it came from my grandmother's apartment. I don't remember much about it, just that I had it.

The second one I have no idea of the brand, it came from a discount store that cut out the tags. I do remember wearing it to bed at night, and having it for a while before wearing it out completely. I was 14-15 at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg st aug 8 80.jpg (67.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg rvr cntry resized.jpg (33.1 KB, 47 views)