Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 02:00 PM

Default drawstrings

I just noticed that there isn't a "search" on this site. If there was I would have searched for "Drawstring" to see if there was any information on what makes a good replacement drawstring when one breaks. Because that happened this morning and luckily it was before going into the pool.
So, do any of our resident fart smellers oops I meant smart fellers have any suggestions what makes a good drawstring, one that will hold up in saltwater pool use? Thanks guys.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Default Bootlaces

What you need is the strong flat ones (not the round ones) and not for walking boots - length is required so that only those for the high lace-up boots would apply. Then you have to thread the new cord in the waistband and that topic has been covered in posts earlier this year.

Btw there IS a search facility here. It will go back in the archives for you BUT the big problem is entering the correct keyword for an old thread. Posts may be there under an unexpected thread title and I have tried drawstrings but that alone has produced three answers which don't apply.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:30 PM

http://www.mensswimsuitboard.com/for...ght=waist+cord
Old 10-02-2013, 07:22 PM

Default memory

LOL - Tw is making me feel very old in reposting that thread - I referred to a discussion earlier this year but the dates show me it was in fact more than a year past (stop the World please - it's going too fast for me !)
Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 PM

Default PS

As an excuse for my senility I will just claim that the last post there was March 2013 (Tw's Diana cord made me laugh)
Btw I tested the board's search function with Louis's words for a new thread in his post #1 and it produced what we have just seen.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:35 AM

I ran into something pretty weird while trying to replace the drawstring with a boot lace. Inside the hem where the string goes it was all sticky and I couldn't even get a crochet hook through. It would pull out with sticky black goo on it, like after you take electrical tape off of something. What the hell. So I worked dish soap in with the crochet hook and finally, after literally an hour, got it worked all the way around. Wow. Then I could get a wire through, then taped the bootlace to the wire and pulled it through.
That was a lot of work. I'm baffled what the sticky stuff was. This suit is a black Dolfin jammer that's about two years old. It's been used a lot but is holding up fine, the stitching is faded but the team logo silkscreened on is holding up beautifully.
I figured out the search. I was looking on the home page, now I see that once you go into the forums you can search through that forum, then when in a thread you can search through that thread. I'll get the hang of it.

Last edited by 50 Free : 10-04-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:06 AM

Default strange but ingenious

Black goo is hard to explain if running all within the waist seam but they are jammers
and so of a material which gives compression?
My first reaction was a heat source but that would show first as external damage - so it may be the fabric produces a chemical reaction if an inner face is pressed to an inner face with the addition of pool chlorine penetration.
However that would not happen in just 24 hours, so how clean were the remains of the broken drawstring when withdrawn and had it always been
running free up to the time of failure?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:51 PM

The black goo is rubber (or synthetic rubber) breaking down.
I use elastic when I make anything requiring some stretch, elastic is thin strips of rubber(/synthetic rubber) running parallel with each other and all stitched together. As an alternative you could use a single wide strip of rubber (/synthetic rubber) but it is more vulnerable to heat and chemicals, washing in bleach then drying in a hot spin drier is a killer.

If you really value this suit you may have to unpick all the waist stitching and put in new elastic, then resew it. This could take some some and spoil the looks of the suit. Shopping for new swimwear can be exciting!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:31 AM

I figured it had to be some kind of a reaction between materials, aided by salt, chlorine, maybe even got some shampoo or something on it daily. Just weird...
No it's not like some kind of precious swimsuit, it's just what I wear to swim team practice usually, gotta sport the team logo, you know. Our kids wear one out in six months, how mine lasted years is remarkable. Not like I spend quite as much time in the pool as they do, don't have that kind of energy any more...
A new one is just two clicks away at the team store, online. I suppose I could switch up to a sheer white one but that would probably freak the kids out. Better not, huh?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:14 PM

My pair of Ice AB's did that. String is in there and never coming out. The string area is hard as a rock.