Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Lycra Forums > General Mens Lycra Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 03:55 AM

Default Lycra in men's underwear

I posted a similar thread in the Swimsuit board, but thought I'll bring it up here.

Although lycra swimming briefs have been less popular in recent years, I've noticed that men's underwear made with lycra (woven with cotton, polyester, modal or nylon) seems to still widely available. I think men's underwear used to be mostly cotton. But maybe I'm wrong, so wondered if anyone remembers:

When men's brief-style (speedo-type) swimwear was popular years ago, were brief or bikini underwear with stretch (like lycra) was also popular?

It seems odd that brief swimwear is less popular now, but similarly made underwear is still popular.

One theory I have is that synthetic fabrics in underwear has gotten better, so they wick away moisture. Maybe the nylon/lycra underwear in the past didn't keep you dry (didn't matter for swimming but underwear needs to keep dry).

When one goes into a department store's underwear section, lycra based underwear seem to be sold widely, unlike those in men's swimsuit section.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:48 PM

Default Check out what the masses are wearing

Walmart uses Jocket as an underwear supplier, but this is sold under the "Life" brand name. They used to sell both briefs and thongs in Lycra, 3 or 4 to a pack. All they carry are the briefs now, or they did the last time I checked, They are sold in cotton, but they also sell a lycra blend with nylon. The style is similar to a Speedo brief with about 2-inch side. The material is thinner than what would be normally used for a swimsuit, but otherwise similar. There is no front ubderliner, nor is there a cord, just an elastic waistband covered with he brief material. These also are abailable in squarecuts with a pouch.

Sebbie
Old 10-16-2012, 04:21 AM

Default continued interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbie
Walmart uses Jocket as an underwear supplier, but this is sold under the "Life" brand name. They used to sell both briefs and thongs in Lycra, 3 or 4 to a pack. All they carry are the briefs now, or they did the last time I checked, They are sold in cotton, but they also sell a lycra blend with nylon. The style is similar to a Speedo brief with about 2-inch side. The material is thinner than what would be normally used for a swimsuit, but otherwise similar. There is no front ubderliner, nor is there a cord, just an elastic waistband covered with he brief material. These also are abailable in squarecuts with a pouch.

Sebbie

It's interesting that even in a popular store chain like Walmart, people are purchasing men's lycra blend briefs, but less so for swimwear. So it seems that people have a continued preference for that style -- but maybe not in public beaches as swimwear.

The Life underwear web site shows a string bikini http://www.lifeunderwear.com/popups/popup_fashion3.asp but it's 100% cotton.

In other popular department stores such as Target I see many briefs of that type. I just don't know if they are getting more popular nowadays. It does seem like it, given there are more brands now making that type of brief

Last edited by JamesSwim : 10-16-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 AM

Looks like the went to cotton. I still have several pairs that are the nylon blend, and they are comfortable. Normally do not go to Wall Mart, but for the underwear.

Target for some time sold Monrovia(sp) that was 100% nylon. These are my choice for bedtime. Have not seen them in quite a while.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:07 PM

Default Merona

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletlover
Looks like the went to cotton. I still have several pairs that are the nylon blend, and they are comfortable. Normally do not go to Wall Mart, but for the underwear.

Target for some time sold Monrovia(sp) that was 100% nylon. These are my choice for bedtime. Have not seen them in quite a while.

That must be their Merona house-brand. They now carry a new brand called Evolve, which is made by 2(x)ist which has many briefs.

And Merona seems to be more mainstream boxers. They also carry a brand called C9, maby by Champion -- but those are meant for sports.

I noticed that companies like Calvin Klein make nylon/lycra underwear, but they seems to be just as expensive as swimbriefs --costing over $25 at times.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 PM

That is why I liked the house brands, not made by an "in" company. The Life and Marona seem to not fit that idea, but they were inexpensive.

I have to learn, when I find underwear I like in stores like Walmart, Target, get all I want then, since they will not be there long.

BTW Champion was being offered at Target a while ago. They peddled them at underwear, but they sure felt and wore like swim bikini.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:17 PM

In my case, all i have in my underwear drower is made of lycra, i wear Joe Snyder underwear and it's wonderful. Love the bikini & thong styles and the way it hugs in the right places.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:26 PM

Red face Lycra in men's underewear

The other real lycra are in a pair of leotard and tights with Speedo style lycra briefs under my tights. They feel especially nice during the cold winter months, especially when at the medical clinic getting ready for an examination. I can remember, while still in my dark red colored long sleeve leotard with a long back zipper, dark red tights with my shiny bright red briefs underneath. The lady clinic nurse is with me saying ' let's get these Danskins off", as she closes the large privacy curtain. There were a few other young naked guys, who just gave up there tight lycra body suits and briefs, then nervously awaiting to see the doctor. Soon she'll have me out of lycra leotards and shiny red briefs. "Turn around, so I can unzip the leotard." All you could hear was the sound of my long sleeve leotard being slowly unzipped, While the red faced naked guys could hear my whimpers and the nurse quietly telling me "hold still now." My upper torso was bear now and my lower half was still encased in warm and snug both leotard and tights, as she took my blood pressure and telling me like the other naked guys, "don't feel embarrassed being naked and erect, as the doctor and I have seen it all before." Now the clinic nurse continued stripping off the clinging dark red lycra leotard, then the lycra warm tights were peeled off me, while saying to me "give them up, let it all come off." Now in only in the red lycra briefs keeping my now hard penis, still snug and secure in them. Soon the other naked guys were being examined by the doctor, one by one and I'll be his last one to be examined for the day. After some squirming, the bright red lycra briefs were finally peeled down and off me showing my full erection and the nurse telling me to step out of the tangled lycra briefs and finally naked and erect for the doctor to see. Those lycra fiber material leotard, tights and briefs felt so good while wearing them and then having to put on boring, baggy underwear after the examination. There is no other underwear that fit and feel so good like men's snug underwear or leotards with lycra. That was certainly an unusual time being in lycra, yet an enjoyable medical plight for me.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:44 AM

For those of you that really enjoy lycra and stretchy materials, you should give Jockey No Panty Line Promise bikinis a try. Yes, they're women's underwear, but honestly you'd never know if you stuck with basic colors. They fit awesome and can easily accommodate what we have. They are unbelievably comfortable and sexy at the same time. Read the reviews and you'll see just how many men wear them. They're pretty much all I wear now. The style and type of men's underwear that I like are expensive while these Jockey are super cheap and even better than most mens.

My wife doesn't mind that I wear them as well, In fact, she has bought a few for me. Give them a shot!
Old 08-10-2019, 09:36 AM

In the 1960's underwear was boil washed, it came out a dirty grey colour whatever colour is started out. Elastic soon went saggy with this treatment. Everyone wore saggy shapeless grey pants of which they were mildly embarrassed.

In the 1970's with the coming of automatic washing machines and nylon briefs life became more colourful and better cut.

With todays low temperature washes cotton Lycra lasts longer and underwear can be made to stretch and fit well around the body. You can now be proud of your underwear and want to let other people see it. Colour fast dyes and fun prints makes underwear a thing you want to display.

Skin-tight jeans and shorter shorts have reduced big boxers and trunks to boxer briefs (square cut underwear) and as more men wear actual briefs speedo swimwear will become more common in public.