Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2017, 10:20 PM

Default Returning to Swimming

So, I have recently moved from Atlanta to North Florida and joined to pool to take up swimming again. I figured it is a great way to get some exercise and wear a speedo every day. Today was my first day back in the pool and I am completely out of shape. But since many of you are regular swimmers, I though I would ask for and advice you might have for someone just starting out. It seems to me that we have discussed this topic before, but I couldn't find the posts. So links in that direction are appreciated.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:14 AM

Set a target for each swim and raise the distance when you find current distance getting too easy. ( 25 m pool)
20 lengths 500m
30 lengths
40 lengths 1000m
50 lengths
60 lengths 1500m (metric mile).

Get hold a kick and a pull buoy and after each distance swim a couple of lengths using each to improve style of breast stroke and front crawl.

Once you can easily swim 1500m non stop then start concentrating on style, concentrating on kicking and breathing for front crawl. Doing blocks of 6 lengths with rests between them.

Finally get back to swimming 1500m and see how much you have improved.

Wear your speedos with pride, you may be slow and struggling now but you will improve.......

Last edited by Torchwatch : 02-18-2017 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:01 PM

First, congrats on getting back in the pool. It is a great sport for all the reasons you say. You mention taking up swimming again. Did you swim competitively or for fitness?

I agree with the post before this one. Set a goal that is realistic and achievable. Maybe shoot for a mile, which is 36 laps (down and back) in a 25 yard pool or 32 in a 25 meter pool. Most US pools are yards. As for more advice:

1. Set a time that you will swim and stay in the pool the whole time. If you get tired, take a break at the wall, but keep in the pool for the whole time. I say this becasue if you stay in the pool you are more likely to keep moving. I recommend 45 to 60 minutes.

2. Do not try to swim fast, swim at a pace that is comfortable and does not leave you gasping for air after each length. Set a goal of swimming a certain distance before a break, such as 4 laps, etc. As you get better close the gap by increasing the distances until you can do the long distance you want.

3. Build the base first, then worry about speed.

4. The only technique I would focus on is breathing well until you get the base. Learning to breath well in the water will really help you build distance.

5. If you have a day that you feel like you just can't swim, force yourself to go to the pool, even if you agree with yourself to only do half. Time in the water is better than skipping.

6. Cycling and running are great ways to build out of water endurance.

7. Finally, get a couple swimsuits you love and want to show off. I find I really want to go to the pool when I have a hot new swimsuit I want to wear. Getting a few looks is a great motivator.

Good luck,

STS
Old 02-19-2017, 10:22 PM

Thanks for the guidance. I really should clarify....after taking years of red cross swim lessons in my teens, I have decided to take up swimming for exercise at 34. I'm a pretty trim guy so I fall into that trap of thinking I active and healthy until I actually to to do something. After spending an hour in the pool Friday, I'm a bit sore today and debating on what I should focus on first. My plan is to:

1. focus on showing up every day and spending an hour in the pool.

2. rotate between the freestyle and side stroke/backstroke for a break.

3. start taking up running to help build endurance.

My concern is will I "learn" bad technique by just focusing on showing up and building endurance?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:24 PM

Check to see if there is a "Masters" swim team in your area - go to usms.org and go to Local Programs. Places to Swim. Don't be put off by the term "masters" - these teams have everyone from ex-college swimmers to beginners, and nearly all have coaches that can help with your stroke techniques and training. Good luck!