Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2016, 07:09 PM

Default Scuba diving in the tropics

I've never dived before, so I don't know a lot about it - but, of every video I've see of people diving in tropical waters - they all seem to wear wetsuits. Why is that? Surely this is not required due to the high water temperatures - so wouldn't wearing a Speedo be more appropriate?
Old 05-02-2016, 07:38 PM

This is an uneducated guess, but I think it could be for protection from the sun. Being in the tropics, you'd need sunscreen which wouldn't last very long underwater, and I am PASTY white so I extra-need it.

Or, perhaps it protects you if you brush up against wildlife underwater. My dad recently brushed against a shark which left a scar, and my mom once had an incident with some fire coral. Neither one of them were in wetsuits and were only snorkeling. Based on their experiences, I'd probably wear a wetsuit myself, to be honest!

Are you thinking of going scuba diving?
Old 05-02-2016, 08:27 PM

Default buoyancy

Gives you more displacement!
Old 05-03-2016, 10:50 AM

Although the water is warm (low 80s) compared to what you find in the higher latitudes, immersion in it for an hour or more can easily chill you -- divers don't move very fast at depth, so they don't generate a lot of extra body heat. Also, the suit offers protection against brushing against coral, and protects the skin against chafing from the heavy scuba gear. At usual diving depths, sun protection is not an issue.

Me, I prefer snorkeling on the surface. Most interesting sea life can easily be seen there, there's no 30 minute dress up / dress down before and after the dive, and I can wear as brief a suit as I want.

Current favorite is Sporti Euro. Just wish they came in more colors.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:00 AM

As a PADI MSDT, I can verify all of this. Good on ya Blue Nike.

I do agree that most of the cool stuff is at shallower depths... but it's just so much fun to get close to it..snorkeling doesn't do it for me anymore :P I still dive in a brief and a neoprene surf vest if the water is warm enough...but you do have to pay attention to the coral and animals that are near you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Nike
Although the water is warm (low 80s) compared to what you find in the higher latitudes, immersion in it for an hour or more can easily chill you -- divers don't move very fast at depth, so they don't generate a lot of extra body heat. Also, the suit offers protection against brushing against coral, and protects the skin against chafing from the heavy scuba gear. At usual diving depths, sun protection is not an issue.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Captain.Jammer
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51tazz
As a PADI MSDT, I can verify all of this. Good on ya Blue Nike.

Sorry for being ignorant, Area51Tazz, but what is a PADI MSDT?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:40 PM

The wetsuits worn in the tropical waters aren't as thick as those worn in cold waters. Besides preserving body temps, they also protect against things like coral and jellyfish. They are also padding against the harness and the air tanks.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:10 PM

What about sharks? Would they be more likely to chomp on bare flesh rather than clothing? After all, the first victim in the Jaws film was naked.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:12 PM

Sharks are amazing, they have good eyesight, are sensitive to vibration and chemicals as well as having an amazing sense of smell/taste.
They are always hungry and if they consider you edible they will bite.
They have to keep moving to push oxygenated water through their gills so they never stop moving.
The advantage to being bitten while wearing a wetsuit is that the wetsuit will contain those bits of you not bitten away so increasing your chance of survival.
Did I mention that sharks can detect electrical activity in water ?

I took a small group of young people to a beach on the Isle of Sheppey in the Thames Estuary, the water is muddy there. One of the young people had a wee while wading in the sea (no one else about for miles), a few seconds later a 6' blue fin shark popped out of the water to have a look around close to them. I was impressed at the speed at which the young people were able to cross the sand back to the beach, they never thought that sharks can't swim on sand when the tide is out or that blue fin sharks are harmless.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Speedo Member

It is some years since I did any scuba diving in the Red Sea. Always had a wetsuit. Once you get below about 30 feet, the water gets cool, it is only the surface layer that is warm. It is not as good idea to risk muscular cramps in cool water when deep diving. Agree with other posts that wetsuits also protect against jellyfish stings (some of the tentacles can be metres long!), puffer fish toxic spines and abrasions from coral.
More recently, have done snorkelling in Maldives and Mauritius, just going down to about 20 feet. I am happy to just wear brief speedos or similar (but still need to look out for dangers!)
I started my scuba diving around the coast of the UK. Thick wetsuits essential! Was diving on wrecks, going down to about 120 feet. There the water was only 4 degrees Celcius.
Unfortunately, my ears are not up to deep scuba diving now. I miss it. I must just stay near the surface, in my speedos.