Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 02:50 AM

Default Finally did a triathlon!

A goal of mine is finally off my list, finished a triathlon, did it all in a tyr brief suit!

I had actually packed shorts and a top for the bike and run, but it was humid, and once I was competing, I didn't care. The race didn't require a shirt to be worn, Just my number, so once the swim was over, it was a brief, a race belt and my shoes the rest of the way!

Absolutely loved it. Can't wait for my next one.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 AM

Congratulations on accomplishing a goal you set for yourself.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:50 PM

Good job - congratulations!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 AM

Thumbs up Congrats

Aren't they a blast... so happy for you! And I like that you stayed in your swim brief... so few of us "old school" triathletes left. When I started, racing in your swimsuit was the norm... now I find we are a rare, but great exception.

Where was your race and what were the distances? Did you wear a wet suit on the swim?

Celebrate fellow Triathlete...
Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 AM

Thanks for the warm words!

The event was actually two races...first a one mile, open water swim. then the Aquathlon, a 2 KM run , a 1/2 mile swim, then a 2K run. The water was 77 degrees, so a wetsuit did not seem necessary.

I guess there were three other guys out of 50 who did the mile swim in a speedo. No one did the aquathlon in a speedo, except me.

I tried on tri-suits, but I swim all the time in a brief, and I just don't like how the tri suit fits...plus tri suits are expensive!

I do understand how triathlons become addictive, it was a fast two hours once it was all said and done!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:49 PM

Was there no bike ride section, with normal swim briefs you would have felt the saddle after a while.

Well done for completing the event, whatever it was, and showing it could be done in swim briefs.

When I finished my first triathlon my brother forgot where he had parked the car, I remember walking around Canterbury city walls in a sweaty tri-suit with a space blanket over my shoulders looking for his yellow beach buggy.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:38 PM

I have two triathlon briefs. They have a bit of padding, but I'd imagine the real concern would be chafing on the inside of the upper thigh where legs may rub on the bike seat. I have not yet ventured out on a bike ride in a brief to see how it would go.

Nothing like wandering around exhausted in a sweaty tri suit looking for a car!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:34 PM

Default Saddle Friction

Try a little lubricant on the saddle before the race, Vaseline (petroleum jelly) might do it. Applying it to your body won't work as it will wash off during the swim section.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:00 PM

Default triathlon

Well done - but this is one event today you might not have enjoyed quite so much.
Here are competitors moving en masse in the swim section of the annual Virgin Active London Triathlon - not a single speedo to be seen and it's wetsuits all round (there may be a current heatwave but it is after all still the hypothermic (and maybe toxic) River Thames):
http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/uploads...edium/5861.jpg
Old 07-28-2013, 11:48 AM

There are salmon in the Thames these days, makes a change from the era when a stomach pump was compulsory for anyone that fell in.

There used to be a couple of "beaches" beside the Thames in London, boys used to sun themselves and bathe in the waters at these places. See the Battle of Britain movie to see these boys standing knee deep in the waters and arguing over aircraft identification as dog fights and bombing took place overhead.

Just found a site about the Tower Beach which was opened in 1934:
http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerofLondon/...cus/TowerBeach