Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2016, 09:55 PM
Speedo Member

Default Towel Dance and Speedos: NCAA Zone Meet

So here at Purdue, we not only hosted the Big 10 men's meet two weeks ago, but the past three days have been the zone qualifiers for the national NCAA meet. Some of the guys competing have already qualified for nationals based on their performance in their respective league meet. But about 35 guys competed in the three events over the past three days. Starting on about Tuesday, the guys (and ladies too) started showing up for practice at the Aquatic Center, and they basically had the dive well all day for all week. So I go swimming laps every day (the main competition pool was open since it didn't interfere with diving). It was quite a nice sight - all those young men in speedos - of various colors, patterns, and "level of skimpiness or brevity"! Anyway, after four straight days of using the aquatic center men's locker room to change myself - and running into several divers each day (I would say three to five each day) - it truly amazes me these young guys...after spending all those hours in a little speedo practicing, and competing - not just this week but all the time since they were young...they walk and stand around the dive well in their suits, in front of coaches, female divers, and various Purdue employees making sure the center is in ship-shape for the meet...and they come into a private locker room (It's a modestly sized open room, with lockers up and down both sides the length of the room - leads to the bathroom/hall/showers - the Purdue men's team has a private locked room with access to this area) - and do the towel dance to change or dry off and change into clothes. I find that amazing that all that non-embarrassment and public display in their speedos and they go and hide in a towel in a locker room to take their suits off and put on their undershorts/shorts.
Generational? I don't walk around naked, but I don't towel dance either. I'm wondering if anyone else sees this trend, but especially in guys who are in their bikinis all day. Anyone else ever see a NCAA or league (Big 10/12/PAC10 etc meet) like this?
Thanks!
Old 03-13-2016, 11:50 AM

I see the opposite at my local pool. Men who wear long shorts in the pool but then will shower naked. That doesn't make a lot of sense either.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 PM

Yes, the 'towel dance' is seen in many locker rooms. I swim at a US college pool which regularly hosts meets, and it amuses me to see guys in Speedos on deck and in the pool for hours, thinking nothing of it. But once they get into the locker room, they shower in their suits and then they wrap towels around their waists while slipping off their suits and pulling on their underwear. I guess they just don't want to be seen totally nude?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:20 PM

There are worse things than the towel dance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWCSQm86UB4

I think I visited that beach when I cycled from Cherbourge to Boulogne along the French coast. It took ages going down all the steps with my bike and all my gear left at the top. I remember an EDF nuclear power station nearby.

I think this one qualifies under the towel dance subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm3_qEMTdc4

sorry couldn't resist.

Last edited by Torchwatch : 03-13-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmboy
Yes, the 'towel dance' is seen in many locker rooms. I swim at a US college pool which regularly hosts meets, and it amuses me to see guys in Speedos on deck and in the pool for hours, thinking nothing of it. But once they get into the locker room, they shower in their suits and then they wrap towels around their waists while slipping off their suits and pulling on their underwear. I guess they just don't want to be seen totally nude?
Why would they? It's a hell of difference between exposing your legs compared to your genitals.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:46 AM

On the subject, here's my experience from here in San Francisco.

I go swimming on the weekends and about 1/2 the guys wear speedos and they also take showers in the nude.

Recalling from high school PE back in the 60s, there were 30 showers all in one room and everyone was butt naked.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:36 PM

I don't think this should even be an issue.

To each their own and what they're comfortable with.

Some guys/girls just didn't grow up being free/confident with being naked in front of others. Modesty and privacy should be respected.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Speedo Member

I am sorry if my original post came off as judgmental or overly crude and critical. It was not meant to be. I realize we all have different modesty limits. I still think the phenomenon is unusual - to be in a little speedo for 1 to 6 hours a day in front of whomever when practicing or at a meet, but covered up in the locker room.
Either way - here is a little eye candy for you - one of Purdue's divers - the suit he is wearing is one of two or three competition suits I've seen the guys wear (plain black with gold P is another). Sorry but this guy is...very straight, very Catholic (based on facebook-twitter-instagram), but he's only 18 and diving quite well for a freshman!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JoeyCdive2.jpg (42.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-18-2016, 07:21 PM

I still don't get your point. There's a massive difference between showing your genitals or not.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Speedo Member

I think I've made my point, but I still find it interesting, I never said people have to agree or say I'm wrong for thinking so.