Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2020, 04:38 PM

Default Missing the "Good Old Days"

Speaking as an American, I really miss the "good old days" back in the 70's to the 90's - when speedos and skimpier swimwear weren't so "stigmatized". I swam in college and then was on Masters Swim teams post-grad, so wore Speedos as a part of my life. After college I and then after marriage I continued wearing them at the family beach house. Even my father-in-law wore a red speedo at the time (and this was in the deep South). My wife and I (and then our children after they arrived) would travel to tropical climates often and I never thought twice about wearing suits to the beach with sides as small as 3/4" or less (and an occasional thong). The catalog "International Male" opened up the World of more minimal swimwear for men - both gay and straight. I'd wear the same "skimpy" suits when traveling with friends as well - no one cared or said a thing. There were no preconceived ideas, and there were lots more people wearing them. People seemed more accepting in those days and it was more live and let live - without the snide comments about what someone might be wearing.

Somehow when the baggy board shorts came in vogue (about the same time basketball players started wearing their shorts to their knees) everything changed. Suddenly unless you were a competitive swimmer, wearing a Speedo became awkward.

Maybe the pendulum is swinging back some towards Speedos and more minimal swimwear in the Main Stream now - I certainly hope so. I know at my age my time has passed - but for the younger generation I hope you get to enjoy the freedom I had without the feeling of being out of place that seems to have been prevalent during these past years.

Last edited by Speed-Will : 05-25-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 AM

Yes it seems the 70's to the 90's was the golden age for men being able to wear swimwear of their choice regardless of how skimpy the suit was. I was a child of the 90's so sadly when I got to my teens and 20's the pendulum had already swung although thankful at least I could still wear regular speedos for swimming. at the pool or beach.

I guess wider fashion trends changed? As you say the dreaded board shorts seemed to be the final nail in the coffin for bikini and thong swimwear for men.

It's fun to look at back at some of the catalogs of brands you mention (I have one or two I managed to get off eBay) and marvel at all the amazing styles and colours that men could choose from.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:08 PM

Default Some more boys in swim briefs

I am not saying there is a definite trend and that fashion is going back to briefer swimsuits for the young 10 to 15 year old boys but I seem to see more and more. And they seem to agree more openly than ever that they are more comfortable. It seems to me it is more accepted and they are less affraid to be made fun of for wearing them.

One of my young friends at 14 which I swam with regularly before the pandemic started wearing a blue and white patterned Nike swim brief. Water polo style I suppose, it is double lined throughout. He likes it very much and wouldnt wear anything else. From the time he started wearing them, his board shorts disappeared.

At one time he tried one of my Seobean suits that ran too small for me so he decided to give it a try. He absolutely loved it. Much thinner and sleeker than the double lined Nike suit. He really liked the color too and he said they felt really good. He now tried to ask his parents to get one in blue and one in red in his size. The XL he tried was just a tad too big on him.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:52 PM

seems like we are of the same era. hopefully the pendulum will swing a back a little. already i can wear skimpy speedos to my pool without comment. thanks for sharing.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to dm106 Send a message via Skype™ to dm106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmin
I am not saying there is a definite trend and that fashion is going back to briefer swimsuits for the young 10 to 15 year old boys but I seem to see more and more. And they seem to agree more openly than ever that they are more comfortable. It seems to me it is more accepted and they are less affraid to be made fun of for wearing them.

One of my young friends at 14 which I swam with regularly before the pandemic started wearing a blue and white patterned Nike swim brief. Water polo style I suppose, it is double lined throughout. He likes it very much and wouldnt wear anything else. From the time he started wearing them, his board shorts disappeared.

At one time he tried one of my Seobean suits that ran too small for me so he decided to give it a try. He absolutely loved it. Much thinner and sleeker than the double lined Nike suit. He really liked the color too and he said they felt really good. He now tried to ask his parents to get one in blue and one in red in his size. The XL he tried was just a tad too big on him.
Very good to hear that the young guy likes them. I sure did at that age. Is it a trend? Not sure but nice to think so. I was about 13 when I started in speedos.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm106
Very good to hear that the young guy likes them. I sure did at that age. Is it a trend? Not sure but nice to think so. I was about 13 when I started in speedos.

There is also a 9 year old that wants a real Speedo and his mother just accepted. He is currently wearing a square cut but has been asking for a brief for months now. His board shorts pretty much disappeared too from the moment he got a tighter swimsuit.

Even at 9 he understands he might get some looks or be made fun of but he decided to simply ignore all that. He thinks the brief swimsuits are cool and is determined to try them.

Trend? Probably not as they are still very rare but definitely an option now that we actually see some on young guys.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:45 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to dm106 Send a message via Skype™ to dm106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmin
There is also a 9 year old that wants a real Speedo and his mother just accepted. He is currently wearing a square cut but has been asking for a brief for months now. His board shorts pretty much disappeared too from the moment he got a tighter swimsuit.

Even at 9 he understands he might get some looks or be made fun of but he decided to simply ignore all that. He thinks the brief swimsuits are cool and is determined to try them.

Trend? Probably not as they are still very rare but definitely an option now that we actually see some on young guys.
Swimmin, how does the 14 year old do in his speedos? Does he manage to "stay in control" in them? That was hard for me at that age.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:01 AM

As I've said on previous posts, If you want to see a change back to the pre 90s shorts, start emailing the makers and tell them what you want.

All the clothing makers can be easily contacted by email and you can even attach a photo of the old fashioned shorts so they know exactly what you want.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Swimmin, how does the 14 year old do in his speedos? Does he manage to "stay in control" in them? That was hard for me at that age.

I just keep under water and concentrate on swimming so my mind isn't getting below the belt line.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:

That young man is much more in control than I have ever been until I got to about 25. Not that I have been checking all the time but he seems safe enough to be confident about walking around the pool from and to the lockers. That Seobean suit is quite revealing and obviously he had a thrill out of wearing it at first but remained under control.

But at the end of the day I was telling him that I was impressed about him enjoying himself dressed like that. He said at first it was a little wierd but he quickly got used to it and said that would be exactly the suit he wanted next but just a little smaller because you could see the XL is a little big.

I am not his father so I try not to talk too much about erections or puberty stuff but instead I always make it known if he wants to talk about it I will listem to him.

He asked me once about penis position while swimming and said he is more comfortable down. I said really? Up is much better....he then tried it and quickly went back to down.