Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2023, 01:18 PM

Default A Very Brief History of Men’s Swimwear.

A Very Brief History of Men’s Swimwear.

I was thinking about some very iconic photos of guys in swimwear, some having been turned into posters that were widely sold, and came up with four that are particularly interesting. I think I am limited to 2 small attachments but I will put the ones I did not get loaded in a reply.

Photo 1 is the classic poster shot of Mark Spitz after he had won 7 gold medals in the 1972 Olympics. This shot got a lot of attention, but note that the brief is not actually that brief. The sides look to be about 4 or maybe even 4 1/2 inches. At the same time the Australians were wearing briefs with narrower sides, but in the US that shift did not happen that fast. This poster adorned a lot of rooms. Unlike most other swimmers, Spitz had a mustache. I think it was the combination of the mustache and the Speedo® that did it. Spits also was a key in the wearing of suits that featured US flag patterns, and more generally swimmers from other countries started wearing suits with home flag motifs.

For the 1984 Olympics you had Steve “The Lunk” Lundquist, a really massive gold medal swimmer, Lundquist set the trend toward swimmers being really big and muscular. But the Speedo® has become far smaller than the one Spitz wore. This appears to be about a 2-inch side. In the mid- and late-1980s competitive men’s swimwear was getting skimpier and skimpier, and the TV cameras used to love panning over the swimmers’ lower bodies as they waited for the start. They quit doing this nowadays for some reason.

At about the same time, in the fall of 1984 Christopher Atkins took on a role as a camp counselor/swimmer and lover to Sue Ellen in the nighttime soap “Dallas”. This is the classic photo of Christopher from the series. A Sapphire blue Speedo® but with wider sides than the Lunk wore. Who says that in order to look sexy in a Speedo® you need to have really narrow sides!

Finally. Michael Phelps is remembered not so much for being seen in a Speedo® brief, but for wearing the really tight full body suit that was briefly legal in competitive swimming. Here is a poster of him wearing that suit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mark spitz.jpg (14.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg steve lundquist.jpg (23.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by sebbie : 12-28-2023 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-28-2023, 01:20 PM

Default additional attachments

the other two poster photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg christopher Atkins 2sm.jpg (20.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg michael Phelps.jpg (25.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-29-2023, 11:51 AM

In the 1970's or early 80's competitive male swimmers were limited to a minimum of 10 cm for the side seam of their swimsuits. Now they are limited to nothing above the waist or below the knee. How times change!
Based on how little he wore in some of his movies, it is surprising that Chris Atkins didn't wear the smallest swimsuit that the censors would allow!
Old 12-29-2023, 03:52 PM

Default Speedo ad from the 1950s

This historic Speedo ad came in one of my e-mailings from them. It is not dated but I am guessing it was early 1950s given the suits shown and no briefs. Once you got into the 1960s the non-brief suits became shorter, about an 8-inch leg, and featured a nylon net brief lining. Plaid patterns in a small print were all the rage. These suits show none of that and look to slow the swimmer down not speed the swimmer up.

Change pockets were a regular feature as you could carry a few coins of change and have enough foe something to eat. Times are different now. The cell phone would not fit in the change pocket and you wouldn't want to be swimming with your cell phone anyway. But the change was fine even in the water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedo ad early sm.jpg (30.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by sebbie : 12-29-2023 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2023, 04:00 AM

I actually have a poster of that "Lunk" picture - purchased at the International Swimming Hall of Fame in Fort Lauderdale in the late 80s. He was a great breaststroker who swam for Southern Methodist University. Yes, the 80s saw a definite trend toward extremely brief suits. At the 88 Olympic Trials, and at the late 80s/early 90s NCAA championships, the infamous 'paper' suits ruled. Since swimmers want suits that are tight (so no water could slip into the suit to add drag), they often wore suits 2 sizes smaller than normal - so a guy with a 32" waist would squeeze into a size 28 Speedo or Finals (a big swimwear co. back then) paper suit. I often found size 26" in the locker rooms after a big meet also. The smaller the suit, the briefer it looked on a normal-sized male. And the 'paper' fabric was very thin - literally, it 'crinkled' like paper if you squeezed it in your hand. Sadly, in the mid-90s, the jammers started to replace the brief suits (competitive swimmers I've spoken to said the jammers were NOT used because swimmers wanted more 'coverage' - they like them because they squeeze and massage their thigh muscles so those muscles don't get tired as quickly. If you attend a regular college swim meet, most of the guys will still wear brief suits - they usually just use the jammers during their championship meets in February and March when they want to achieve their fastest times to hopefully qualify for NCAAs at the end of March.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:05 PM

True, it is not for modesty but it still resulted in a maximum coverage rule and probably was a contributing factor to the decline in the wearing of swim briefs for recreational swimming.
My son swam on his high school team in 2007. Most of the boys on his and opposing teams wore jammers, very few wore briefs.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:36 PM

I have a photo from a netted pool in the River Medway, Rochester, Kent dated 1895. It is a competition swimming event, the swimmers posed about to racing dive. Seven of them are wearing cotton swim briefs, one is possibly wearing a cotton Tarzan style loin cloth but it's hard to see. None of them feel compelled to cover up their thighs. In the audience there is a least one boy, this is competitive sport not something indecent to be kept hidden from the children.

There are 2 types of jammers; those made of "shark skin" water repelling fabrics, worn downsized and really tight and those made of normal swim Lycra but worn down to the knees.
The expensive sharks skin fabrics have less water drag than naked human skin and allow you to go faster, while swimming Lycra has greater water drag than naked human skin and will cause swimmer to go slower than if he were wearing Lycra swim briefs.
As is so often the case the sponsored top swimmers get the good kit while the poor kids joining the sport get stuff that looks right but doesn't do the job. I suspect that many boys who do swimming lessons in shorts are dropping out from joining their clubs racing squads because both they and their parents are confused and prejudiced against all skin tight male swimwear.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:43 PM

My son's team wore Lycra jammers.
Don't know about the others.
They were not very good, lost every meet.
The team joke was they had a successful season because no one on the team had to be rescued by a lifeguard!
Old 01-01-2024, 06:05 PM

The coach to your son's swim team has 2 problems, first the swimmers in his squad aren't very good and 2nd their Lycra jammers aren't very good.
The 2nd problem can be solved by going over to swim briefs both for training and racing, this will cause those members of the team who aren't interested in improving to leave.
He can now put his attention into those left training harder and improving.
As the smaller team starts to improve and actually win races it will attract attention and gain recruits, even if they have to wear swim briefs.
If they still fail to improve they probably need a new coach.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:11 AM

She is no longer at the high school. Girls and boys practice together,
Meets are also co-ed, but individual races are gender specific.
The swim team has been bad through a number of coaches. Most have been women.
The girl's team has a decent. but not outstanding, record.
I don't know if the problem with the boy's team is that it is more difficult for a female coach to work with male swimmers.
There are 2 obvious problems for the swimming program.
We are one of only 3 high schools in the league that don't have their own pool.
The team practices from 5:30 to 7:00 AM at a local college, not a good time for attracting team members.
Many of the schools are in more affluent communities where many of the students have private coaching.