Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2015, 11:39 PM

Default 100 years of men's swimwear in 3 minutes

See the video attached to this story
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...=mostpo pular
Old 08-09-2015, 03:11 PM

That is quite a video. Curious on where he got the information on those styles. I lived through enough of those years to know that information is totally off. The board shorts started in the 60's and the 70's and 80's speedos and bikini suits were popular, the really baggy shorts in the 90'. However, the more tailored laced front board shorts have prevailed throughout the entire time from the 60's right on through today. I can only speak for So.Cal since that is where I grew up, but I can say that that selection of suits were not worn there. From what I have seen in photos during the 50's the boxer short was really the go-to swim suit for men and often sold with matching shirts (cabana set). The tight belted suit went out in the 40's (according to my father). Since fashion -- especially for men -- was very regional during much of that time in the US, I have to wonder where that montage is representing.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:45 PM

So today's fashion is really somewhere between 1925 and 1935?
Old 08-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Speedo Member

PSDave is right about the video have a lot of mistakes, and the first one of the mistake is built a video named “100 years of the men’s swimwear” when the swimwear born (officially) at 125 years ago in 1890. That mean all the video have problems in “put in” the different swimsuits in less time.
Another point is, the world years ago was not so “globalized” like today. them some swimwear was more popular in some places and another never was knew in another places.
In my country , for example, wear the smaller sports shorts (like the 80’s adidas short) was very popular at 1985, and this swimwear is not at the video. Also in 1990 when the swim brief was very NO popular in USA and other countries, paradoxically at 90’s too in another countries the swim brief begging to be smaller and more popular, for example in Venezuela, some caribbean countries and some countries of Europe.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:58 PM

That 1915 suit the fellows wore is cool.

The men wore more than us.

Kind of similar to a bodysuit my bf sometime wears when we go lake swimming.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:02 PM

Also cool were the belts that they put on the guys swimming suits.