Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2015, 08:31 PM

Default 2 Syrians drown swim Channel

The bodies of 2 Arabs were found on beaches; one in the Netherlands the other in Norway. They were wearing identical wet suits that were traced back to a shop in Calais, France.
The bodies belonged to 2 Syrian refugees/illegal immigrants who having reached the Jungle campsite north of Calais were able to see the White Cliffs of Dover but not reach them.
Both men could swim but neither of them could claim to be "professional swimmers". They went to a sports shop and bought wetsuits, made arrangements for relatives to collect their laptops and mobile phones, then set out to swim the Channel, in October 2014. The water must have been freezing and they were attempting to cross one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. Their bodies were not washed ashore until recently.
The Jungle campsite wasn't there when I was in Calais last summer and went to the beach north of town and enjoyed a couple of hours in my speedos while preparing for a ferry crossing that afternoon. The youth holiday camp (Jules Ferry) there has been turned into a refugee centre. I think it was from this beach that the 2 Syrians attempted to cross the Channel.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:49 PM
Speedo Member

Default Float Vests?

You would have thought they would have purchased float vests to give them a chance in those waters.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:24 PM

From Calais you can see the English coast, it doesn't seem that far. There are ferries going in and out of the port almost continuously so it's not as if you'll be alone out there.
These guys had already crossed the Mediterranean Sea, the Channel was soo narrow by comparison.
If I remember correctly they had bought wetsuits in a sports shop and made preparations but not only is the Channel one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world it is also subject to severe currents and tides. Even in summer the weather never rises above 10*C
One of their bodies was carried to Scandinavia by the currents.
People swim the Channel every year, but they spend years training in open water, they are greased up to protect their skin and have a support boat beside them providing food and water. Most of them fail and return home on the support boat. Even relay teams run out of swimmers and fail.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:19 PM

Default Men and Boys Often Over-Estimate their Swimming Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimForHealth
You would have thought they would have purchased float vests to give them a chance in those waters.

A lot of the fellows get into trouble in the water because they think their swimming skills are far superior than they actually are.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:36 PM

Only very specialized outdoor long distance swimmers get to swim the channel.
Although it is only 22 miles wide it is one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world and is very tidal. At times even experienced swimmers can be swimming backwards or sideways.
You can see the cliffs on the other side on a clear day and it doesn't seem so far, but even in summer the water doesn't get above 10C.
The Syrian refugees that died are unlikely to have understood the dangers of what they attempted.
I've swum in the English Channel but only for a few minutes at a time, I respect all that cold water and know my limits.