Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 08:30 PM

Default Slate Article: Why Are Guys Afraid to Wear Speedos?

Quote:
Summer is here, and again I am seething with frustration. Why? Every year I scan the beaches for men in Speedos and every year I am disappointed. The ridiculous board-shorts trend shows no sign of waning. I had high hopes for change after last year’s Olympics, when the entire nation was gripped by the spectacle of those jackknifing water sprites in their micro-briefs. (Those preposterously teensy swim skivvies worn by Tom Daley et al could only be explained by some kind of harsh polyester-rationing scheme: “Sorry, boys, but only 1 square inch of fabric per customer. Don’t worry. It is quite stretchy.”) I just assumed that, come this summer, one might see an increased willingness on the part of the U.S. male to embrace a little European savoir-faire. But, yet again, all I see are men in billowing shorts.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d...ring_swim.html
Old 06-20-2013, 07:12 AM

I've repeatedly emphasized on this board that men here in San Francisco are wearing a lot shorter running shorts and the trend is continuing toward the pre 90s look.

I haven't been to a pool or the beach, but I'd guess that swimming suits will follow running suits and speedo style (or just plain 1960s "trunks") are making a come back as well.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:20 PM

I watch some of the ufc fights on TV not so much for the fights but for the bods and more and more of them are clad in shorter and shorter outfits. Last night featured a fighter in what looked like about a 4 " side suit. Truth is, I'd rather see the guys kiss and make out than fight. But the point is, styles worn by these uncontestably manly men are getting shorter, maybe the masses will take to the trend. Have you ever actually swum in board shorts? Its like wearing a tent. They have always made sense for surfing, protecting the inner thighs from irritation from the rails of the board, but for swimming? Basketball? No. Styles do change. Trends come and go.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 PM

Default Ufc

I don't know much about the organisation in these fights but rules of attire seem to vary all over the place. There was a big fuss about a US competitor last year (the name might have been ......Sheffield) who turned up for a bout in blue speedos. That seemed to turn the promoter blue in the face too and he got himself much reported with his rage at this happening and that this guy wouldn't be employed again, etc. (never know what to believe as genuine in that game - everything being overhyped for the sake of a headline of course).
Old 06-22-2013, 02:25 AM

A few responses from other websites:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3477653.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...y-Speedos.html

http://theweek.com/article/index/246...-to-the-speedo

It is a bit ironic that Huffington Post and Daily Mail have a negative slant, yet accompany their articles with pictures of women in skimpy suits.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:55 AM

Default angle

Seems to me hard to determine who has what slant where - a bunch of journalists with space to fill and nothing interesting to say as usual, employing the
old and very boring trick of just rereporting on each other.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:28 AM

Default Re. post#4

http://www.fighters.com/wp-content/u...man_b1_576.jpg

Wrong name - it was Dennis Hallman in Philadelphia August 2011.
Dana White most upset and speedos now banned in UFC.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:55 PM

The vision of Chris Christie in a Speedo might inspire the NJ legislature to ban them for everyone. But there's a happy medium between racing briefs and ankle length male burkas. I've got a pair of swim shorts that are liner-free (like board shorts, so you can wear a Speedo under) with a 5" inseam that are practical for a poolside BBQ where hanging out (literally) in a Speedo would be a bit too much.

It was a lot more fun a few years ago when Speedos were considered to be bold but acceptable generic beach wear. Now you practically need to be wearing your Olympic medal to show up in one anywhere but a lap pool.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:58 PM

To claim that Speedos are practical for activities like UFC is analogous to the NRA line-in-the-sand that kids should be able to bring their guns to middle school.

UFC fighters have to hide a lot of protection under their shorts, and a cup under a Speedo is just not a good look.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:51 PM

Maybe 3 posts on the same topic is too many, but...

It's always fun to read the comments following the annual ritual-of-spring anti-Speedo articles. Most fall into the "women don't want to see... eew" theme. But occasionally one provokes thought:
"Considering that male genitalia are called "junk" in American colloquial parlance, is it really any wonder that American men are a bit modest about calling attention to that part of their anatomy?"