Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2017, 05:26 PM

Default The popularity of swim briefs---then and now

As I was composing Dylan and Josh’s swim brief order, I got to thinking about what I was seeing on the swimoutlet.com site. Not very many years ago, swimoutlet seemed to have tons of closeout briefs from the manufacturers Speedo, Tyr Nike and Dolphin and each of them had a grab bag sale for getting rid of briefs each year that didn’t sell well, sometimes for as little as $10. Maybe it is just late in the season to be placing swim brief orders, but the grab bag for Speedo had very limited sizes—basically nothing smaller than 32 inches. And the 32 inch one that Josh did order for Dylan cost $20 not $10 or even $15. A non-grab bag Speedo typically runs $28-$36 so the grab bag discount is not that great any more.

Does this suggest that Swim briefs are becoming so popular that they basically get sold out quickly with no need to discount the slow sellers any more?

The other thing I notice is what must be the increasing popularity of (house brand?) briefs from Sporti and now iSwim on the site. Even weirder is that swimoutlet now says that the tiny (I know that for certain) Sporti Euro brief is now a “Best Seller” for them. If guys routinely steer clear of the skimpier swim briefs then how is this so? But the standard Sporti brief is also a best seller, though apparently not so much in green. Personally, I think the green is their best color.
https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti-...798/?color=209

The iSwim briefs typically sell for even less than the Sporti briefs. There are some colors and sizes for as little as $5.99 each right now, and the reviews are quite good. And they are listed as best sellers too. There are youth versions and adult versions, but the sizes overlap in 26 and 28 inches. What differences exist between the two Y vs. non Y are unclear.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/iswim-e...67/?color=9325

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/iswim-e...msuit-8127468/

Swimoutlet I think is the largest swimwear retailer in the world, and it looks to me like there has been something of a resurgence in the demand for swim briefs for males, something that was not selling well at all not very long ago. Or maybe more and more guys are discovering what I have known for a long time.

On a personal note, I have had fun putting together Dylan and Josh’s order in the story. I considered putting together a similar order for myself, but I already have too many pairs of swim briefs for sure. Lots of Sporti Euro, but no iSwim, yet.

I did make one order, however, a NWT multicolored Speedo in size 26. I have a multicolored Speedo in size 28, and although it is not skimpy, that one fits really tight everywhere. The size 26 should fit snug snug snug. This is my Christmas gift to myself, and I will save it for that, making an attempt to get into it on Christmas eve!

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qs4AA...cL/s-l1600.jpg

Sebbie…

Last edited by sebbie : 11-26-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:00 PM

Here was one of the iSwim brief reviews ROFL

It's a bit snug. 5'10 150lbs and it's snug.
Not much space for the boys to move around
I wish I would have gotten 1 or 2 sizes bigger. Probably 2 sizes.
On the plus side you can finally hit those high notes
Old 11-27-2017, 03:23 AM

I've been searching on line photos of men's college swim teams and there's definitely a strong trend for briefs and a lot less for jammers.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbie

But the standard Sporti brief is also a best seller, though apparently not so much in green. Personally, I think the green is their best color.
https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti-...798/?color=209

Sebbie…

I have a pair of those green Sportis. Oddly, the liner seems to have gone missing.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:00 PM

Some of the swim brief reviews on swimoutlet get quite detailed and graphic Several guys mention that the first thing they did was cut out the liner. Reading all the reviews gives a good idea of what is going on with guys when they pick a swim brief out and try on a specific brand, style, color and size for the first time

It appears that a lot of guys on HS and college swim teams are buying the inexpensive Sporti and iSwim briefs for practice wear, switching to a more expensive brand like Speedo or Tyr but only for the big meets.

And many guys have gotten hooked on the gather skimpy Sporti Euro brief as their go to swimwear for practice.

Sporti is selling black and navy spliced briefs with a contrasting splice color of red, yellow, gold, green, royal, red or purple. High schools often have one of these latter colors as one of their school colors, the idea being that HS swim teams will want a basic black or navy brief with the school color in the splice.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:49 PM

it appears that I can't see the Eurobriefs while in the UK so can't see how 'tiny' they are, which I'd prefer.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:08 PM
Speedo Member

My nephews wear jammers and speedo briefs at their school and school squad but they also wear rashtops with them. They like the coverage.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Speedo Member

And solid white caps with the solid black bathing costumes.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Speedo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dolphin
I've been searching on line photos of men's college swim teams and there's definitely a strong trend for briefs and a lot less for jammers.

Jammers are preferred in comps as they aid in blood flow return, you'll find teams start wearing them more closer to a competition otherwise briefs for training as the pro jammers are $$$$$, that's how its done where I am
Old 12-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Speedo Member

Boys 13/14 is roughly a 30, therefore a 28 would be a boy 12/13, I prefer the boys 13/14 (30) otherwise a adults 30 sometimes sits to high on the hip as I'm not a tall person, as rule boys and adults sizes are very close in cut due to manufacturing variations