Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 01:33 AM

Default Channel4 short shorts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbLNs5wqsls

Trailer for series of short stories on Channel 4 TV
Old 08-15-2014, 02:39 AM
Speedo Member

I like to wear shorts-shorts, of course I want buy some ones that look cool, for me half thigh is ok..... of course a short-short would look ridiculous if we choose wear the most ridiculous. At the 80’s wear a “Bermuda” was for guys without personality to wear “regular shorts-shorts”.... ridiculous is like the media teach (like the trailer)
Old 08-15-2014, 03:28 AM

Default short shorts

Yes - and as 'Zungaboy' would you also wear sungas on the beach ?
I am beginning to wake up to the fact that your first language is probably
Portuguese and if so your country of Brasil is so often seen spelled as Brazil
because of the transposition of s and z in English text.
(I hope you enjoyed the Zungaboys in the video I posted for volleyball players following Sebbie's post)
Old 08-15-2014, 04:56 AM
Speedo Member

Yep Byron. I wear “zungas” at the beach I was born finishing the 70’s that mean in a decade when the zunga (speedo) and the square pants for swim was very common to wear.
BUT at middle of 80’s the speedo was not common here them I begin to wear “Bermuda shorts” ..by the way, I back to wear speedos in travels to places were the speedo was common to use at the year 2001 and I back definitely to wear speedos (zungas) at 2008.
Is not common to use it here (the speedo) but “step by step” year to year I can see more guys in speedo at my local beach. (I think the speedo is coming back here)
About the name “zunga” you are right about the world is from Brazil but the word is not portuguese word.
At the 70’s speedo built a factory of swimbriefs in Brazil, them a lot of local factories in Brazil begging to make swimbriefs make with lycra them the swimbrief begin to be very popular in Rio de Janeiro.
The Brazilian people call to the swim brief with the name “sunga” because the soldiers of the “sunga empire” (185 BC-73 BC in India) used loincloths and the “sunga-swimming brief” look like a loincloths because early 70’s the sungas was the “bikini-male” very very shortly (Now sunga in Brazil is a square pants)
By the way, as I told you square pants to swim in south America at the 70’s an early 80’s was very common to wear, them nobody call it like “zunga” it just was called “male swimwear” because nobody dress another swimwear here, them the word “zunga” in south America (in the countries were speak Spanish) was born maybe at the 1984, remember in Brazil the people speack portugues but in the rest of south America the language is Spanish, “Zunga” (With “Z”) was the translate in spanish to the word “Sunga” used in Brazil ( where they speak portuguese) Also no in all the Latin-Americans countries who speak Spanish the “swim Brief” is named “Zunga” it is most called Zunga in Chile, Argentina, Perú, Paraguay and Uruguay.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:30 PM

Smile most interesting...

Thanks for post Zungaboy - I have learned a lot.
We were told by twt1985 about acceptable beachwear around the countries of S.America and now I know of an ancient sunga empire from India as well !*
Btw, do CaRIOca put that historical note in their website? (they should)

Keep going with your speedos (I would like to see the return of the tanga too)

*I will give you a joke in English and hope you can follow the play on words:
The Hellawee Tribe in deepest Africa are so called because they are pygmies in a region of very tall grassland. They are to be found jumping up and down all day shouting Where The Hell Are We !! - Where The Hell Are We ??

Last edited by Byron : 08-15-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:23 PM

Default Ipanema

Do you know Aware Zungaboy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxnWG7R5T7I
Old 08-19-2014, 05:35 AM

Here's a recent article from the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...tory_LeadStory

When you see an article like this in the WSJ (a "conservative" publication), you know the trend for the shorter look is gathering momentum. Also, most of the comments seem to be very supportive.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Smile Some hope yet.....

LOL CD - never thought I would see a discourse in the WSJ on the matter and they show their age a bit with knickerbockers* and breeches showing up (clam diggers I have not heard of).
Is it you or PSD who hails from SF? - have you seen the Chubbies guys as mentioned ?

*a gentleman out on a shoot with his gamekeeper and in his knickerbockers
(Edward VII if I'm not mistaken): http://www.vintagers.org/king2.jpg

PS: Not so sure about the calf-length socks as mentioned in the comments and so many forget that the bush rangers in African game reserves have been setting the trend for bare legs for many many years anyway (just imagine telling those guys to wear boardies - let alone scaring to death the poor animals !)

Last edited by Byron : 08-19-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:00 PM

I was a skinny child, my long socks always fell down even with garters on, my rugby socks always sank to my ankles.
It didn't matter how many times I tried to "pull my socks up", they always fell down. becoming a runner allowed me to wear short ankle shock that could be pulled on and forgotten.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:15 PM

Default socks

There are I believe also minimal athletic socks now available which cover the heel but which do not go as far up as the ankle bone.