Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Default Would you ever stop wearing Speedos?

A question I sometimes ask myself when I'm the only one at the pool wearing them.

When I go swimming it is precisely that. Try and swim as many laps as possible as fast as I can. I don't know if I could do that wearing long shorts. Especially as I'm moving past 50 and have to accept it will get tougher.

So I suppose as long as I continue to swim I will continue to wear them.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:11 PM

I have wondered the same thing Bede, but for different reasons. I wondered if the point would come when I thought I was too old to wear them. Let's face it, even as much as we all try to stay fit and active, we can't completely stop the aging process. Having said that, I have no intention of switching any time soon. I have never been influenced by whether other guys are wearing board shorts or swim briefs. I like wearing the swimsuits I wear, and see no reason to conform to what others do. I like the colors, the fit, and the feel of being in brief swimsuits. I also think a fit guy looks great when he shows more of his body.

I have been the same with running shorts. I have stayed true to the 1 inch inseam and side split running shorts that were popular years ago. I never saw the advantage of wearing shorts with longer inseams.

STS
Old 09-14-2014, 01:57 PM

Smile

Bede,

In my personal story that I wrote about my becoming a serious swimmer, I said that while in Hawaii 4 years ago at age 64 decided that I was too old to wear speedos, only to realize later that I needed to lose weight to look good in a speedo. Now, at 2 days short of 68, 23 pounds lighter, and having become a serious swimmer, I feel that as long as I look OK in a speedo and continue to swim, I will wear one. I'm fortunate in that I don't have many wrinkles and while I don't have any abs to speak of, my stomach is flat, I don't have any overhang of flab, and I don't have any of the sag that comes with advancing age. I'm also like STS in that I've come to love the look of the colors and prints of some of the speedos I've bought since I started swimming so for me, that's a draw as well to continue to wear them.

D67
Old 09-14-2014, 04:10 PM

As long as I continue to swim regularly, and enjoy getting a good 'swimmer's tan', I plan to continue wearing Speedos!

STS - you also mentioned those running shorts with the splits up the sides - I also love those, but haven't seen many the past several years. Are there companies that still make them? Any idea what stores carry them? Thanks!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:09 PM

Default Swimmboy

I can still get them sometimes from Running Warehouse. Asics was making them, but they did not this year (at least I did not find any). BOA (Built on Athletics) still does make them (boausa.com). I have several of their shorts. I also find them at the expos at big races.

Hope this helps.

STS
Old 09-14-2014, 11:25 PM

I agree with STS, Dooley67, Swimmboy and Bede735 as long as I'm capable of swimming I will wear briefs. We are told swimming puts less stress on our joints so I hope to swim for many more years.
I like Asics running shorts too but like STS I didn't see them at my favorite store, I found some on Ebay though.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:40 AM

Thanks for the running shorts info, STS.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to VTspeedo
Default Game Gear shorts

I have bought many pair of Game Gear nylon shorts........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg game gear black.jpg (10.2 KB, 17 views)