Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 05:48 PM

Default What's the briefest you can wear in British pools?

For about the last 20 years I've worn nothing but Speedos with a 5 cm (2 in) side seam. I'm usually the only guy at my pool who wears anything that brief, bur I'm so used to it, it doesn't bother me. At the moment I wear Speedo endurance briefs, which are getting close to needing replacing, but unfortunately Speedo no longer manufactures 5 cm briefs.

So - I've ordered an Aussiebum 1.5 (4 cm) Classic, which is briefer than I've worn before, but I like the look of it. What would be deeply embarrassing is if some pool attendant ordered me out of the pool for wearing something too brief, so as I say, are Aussiebums within acceptable limits?

Having said, women attend my pool wearing bikinis with string sides and nobody bats an eyelid.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:37 PM

Default "the only guy"

Good evening and welcome as David Frost might have said.

Sad to say it is only too true that you might be the only one wearing Endurance as current pool fashion goes - but good luck with the AB* and I see no reason for you be slung out unless there is a big notice on the wall about dress code for male (and female?) patrons.
*sheer rating?

Last edited by Byron : 03-31-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:59 PM

As an American, I would warn them with a lawsuit. If you let one gender wear something "brief", then why not the other?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:05 AM

Default LOL, yes

If things get difficult I am sure there is an Article somewhere dealing with equality and the right to
self-expression and so the management might suffer an adverse ruling from the European Court of Human Rights if they pursue any such action.

Last edited by Byron : 04-01-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:19 AM

Default No issues

I don't see any reason why an AB swimsuit cut as you describe would be an issue. Like you, I wear various cut swim briefs and am often the only guy. It has never been as issue, even in a conservative area. However, AB briefs (as Byron raises above) can be sheer. That is more likely to be offensive than the cut, as it should be at a family/coed pool. If they can actually see the merchandise, as opposed to the mere fact that you have a bulge, it is likely a show stopper.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afewgoodmen
As an American, I would warn them with a lawsuit. If you let one gender wear something "brief", then why not the other?
I've posed this question over and over before.

Why are women's shorts actually short, but men's shorts (and swim suits) are only knee length????
Old 04-01-2014, 07:04 AM

I usually wear 2" side speedos in UK swimming pools without any issues. I have worn slightly brief than that but not recently.
Most of the Lifeguards are swimming club members and are familiar with swimmers in speedos for training and racing and should have no trouble for you.
The problems come from small girls of a certain age who may begin tittering and pointing. You would no doubt ignore them but other people may notice them add 2 and 2 to get 5.
As I write this the early morning sun is shining and the birds are singing, try wearing your 1.5" bikini on the beach to discover how people react to it before taking it to a pool.
I believe in pushing the envelope and leading by example but suggest you wait until a few more guys are wearing brief swimwear before going for very brief swimwear yourself in a public pool. Being a trend setter doesn't work if no one is following your trend.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:49 PM

I've ordered a black suit so no problems with see-through.

This may shed some light:

http://www.rondjenoordereiland.nl/uk...rijd/sgear.htm

It's a river race in the Netherlands, which has the following regulations on gear:

'Men may only wear swim briefs which are not smaller then 4 cm / 1.5 inch or taller then 8 cm / 3 inch (as measured by the height of the suit's side panel).

Women can choose between an one or two piece swimsuit. Like the men the women may also not wear a swimsuits with covers their shoulders or legs.'

So this is maybe a European standard? Presumably anything less than 1.5 inches would be too 'kinky'.

The women's two piece can have bikini bottoms with string sides, so the double standards apply.

Last edited by Bede735 : 04-01-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:55 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimTeamSpeedo
I don't see any reason why an AB swimsuit cut as you describe would be an issue. Like you, I wear various cut swim briefs and am often the only guy. It has never been as issue, even in a conservative area. However, AB briefs (as Byron raises above) can be sheer. That is more likely to be offensive than the cut, as it should be at a family/coed pool. If they can actually see the merchandise, as opposed to the mere fact that you have a bulge, it is likely a show stopper.

I think one should wear it in the bath tub before taking it to the pool....
Old 04-01-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchwatch
I believe in pushing the envelope and leading by example but suggest you wait until a few more guys are wearing brief swimwear before going for very brief swimwear yourself in a public pool. Being a trend setter doesn't work if no one is following your trend.
Not a case of being a trendsetter - just that the Endurance briefs I have are no longer available, so I'm looking for a replacement.

It shouldn't be that much of a culture shock - switching from 5 to 4 cm sides. I used to swim in 14 cm long trunks before changing to the 5 cm Speedos - and I coped with that.