Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2014, 01:36 AM

Question Do changing seasons affect your desire to swim?

I've wondered if the change in weather affects people's desire to continue swimming. For me, starting out swimming just this past June, I'd go to the Y in shorts, a t-shirt, and sandals, and then change into my speedo and swim. This morning it was 43 degrees so I wore jeans, a long sleeve shirt, a jacket, shoes, and then I think ahead to winter with a heavy jacket, boots, gloves, etc. I'm committed to continue to swim, but I know, living in Maine, that when it's below freezing and below zero, I hate to go out and I will have to push myself to leave my warm house.

How do others react to changing seasons as far as the motivation to continue swimming is concerned?

D67

Last edited by Dooley67 : 10-28-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:55 AM

Here in San Francisco, the actual temperature doesn't change much so I can go swimming at an indoor pool all year round.

For those who like the beaches better than the pool, the weather is also very accommodating. However in the summer, there are sharks and in the winter, there are rip tides that can drag and drown unsuspecting swimmers.

Other than that, California is always swimmer and speedo friendly.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:26 PM

Having lived in Palm Springs for years, we too enjoy fine weather year round. The notes get chilly but the days are always friendly for lounging by the pool in our speedos. Actually the pool temp cools in the winter months so it is better for swimming laps. In the summer it get too warm to swim in. (approaches 90F) I pretty much live in my speedos since I work at home and can take pool breaks.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:30 PM

I'm sure that we have all seen the Westerns in which the cowboys crossing the desert reach the waterhole and leap in as they are, My dream is to be in speedos and just fall into water warm enough not to feel that icy cold shiver before I can warm up.
So in summer I want to swim outdoors in the sea or in an outdoor pool, almost feeling the ripples glide across my body as I swim underwater.
Swimming in an indoor pool is much the same all year round, but there is something special about pulling myself out of the pool and looking out through the window onto snow outside.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:57 AM

I swim laps in an indoor pool here in TX...I wish there was an outdoor lap pool nearby!

When I move to FL next year, I'll find one and use it for my laps
Old 10-30-2014, 02:49 AM

I swim/train in an indoor pool pretty much year-round, though do hit an outdoor pool a few times during the summer. So the change of seasons doesn't really affect my swim training. If anything, I am more motivated to go to practice since I don't get out and about as much during the winter otherwise - in the summer, I'm outside biking, working in the yard, etc. In the winter, I NEED an excuse to get out and do something!
Old 11-01-2014, 12:20 PM

Default Maine

Cold weather is just life in Maine, as you know D67. I love swimming in the winter. I think it is pretty neat to be swimming in a pool in just my tiny swimsuit, knowing that outside it might be -20 or even worse (not uncommon here in January). I get really motivated to go to the pool when the snow is flying, for some reason. Things here rarely close for snow unless it is a really bad storm. I also like to go running in the winter, something about being out there in the wicked cold makes me feel very tough and masculine. I have some awesome lined running tights that keep me warm even when it is really cold, although I usually cut the outside running when the temps get colder than -15.

STS
Old 11-15-2014, 03:40 PM

In a funny way I prefer it, as in Summer it takes me ages to cool down after a swim. But in cold weather I just feel nicely warm after it.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:22 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede735
In a funny way I prefer it, as in Summer it takes me ages to cool down after a swim. But in cold weather I just feel nicely warm after it.

Bede,

That's a good point, but when you live in Maine, getting yourself out into the cold is what tests your dedication.

D67