Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Off Topic > Off Topic Chat and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2020, 01:54 PM

Default Sports clothing and eroticism

Sports clothing and eroticism

I got to thinking about that, at least for guys, the large number of sports that require the participants wear specific clothing in order to engage in the sport, and also, that for a large number of sports this clothing has an erotic component to it that affects the fan base male and female as well as being of no small concern to the guy participating in the sport. I am going to focus on sports men and boys normally are in, in part because I understand little about a possible parallel world in women’s sports.

The obvious first example is men’s swimming and diving. There has been much discussion about how guys donning their first swim brief for team participation might feel about the situation they face. Mandating swim briefs for swimmer-athletes at least forces all the guys to be confronting the same set of issues, but given that the other guys are all wearing briefs too I would look silly if I did not look as if I were part of the team.

Letting guys choose either a brief or jammer may appear to alleviate the fear of briefs problem, but then this sets up a situation whereby the guys are not all doing the same thing. Are the guys wearing the briefs the ones who generally are the better swimmers, or do they simply “like” the brief for other reasons that cannot be openly discussed.

So if a guy wants to be a serious diver and has some sort of an objection to being seen clad in a brief, he had better get over it soon.

Water polo has always fascinated me in part because on average water polo guys are muscular but bigger than the average diver or swimmer. Water polo is a very physical sport, and requires great physical skills. Hence the big muscular dudes who get into the sport, and thereby need to force their bodies in really snug-fitting water polo briefs. I also hear that in a game of water polo lots of interesting stuff can and often does happen underwater, as in maybe grabbing the opponent’s swim brief or even more, ostensibly to affect the ability of the opponent to score. A big reason why water polo briefs fit so snug is because that makes it more difficult for the opponent to get any leverage by grabbing on to your brief. So the tight fit is very much part of the game.

Part of the fun for fans male and female for the three major swim brief sports—swimming, diving and water polo is seeing the guys clad in their gear. I think swimming has lost some of its appeal to fans was lost when all the guys were wearing jammers or even full body suits, and seeing briefs come back in competitions is in part helping the sports from the standpoint of the audiences.

Moving on to other sports, let me begin with US rules football, a game in which most of the successful players are really big, burly and muscular, at least for most of the positions. I find it interesting that currently the football pants mandated as the uniform for college and professional teams do not hide the fact that guys have penises. (see the HS football players in the attached photo)

Traditionally players wore a strap and cup underneath the pants, but nowadays the bulges do not look like the kind of bulge that a cup would make. Part of the sport is for the guy to leave the impression both with opponents and fans that the guy has a serious male organ and the current football pants play into that. Part of the US-Rules football fan base no doubt is there because they like to see obviously virile males clad in such snug-fitting garb. I’m presuming that most competitive players now wear compression shorts with a cup pocket under the pants we see, but exactly what guys do currently is a bit of a mystery—do some guys still wear jock straps and cups, for example, and if so how does that end up looking like the bulge the fans see under the pants?

Basketball is fascinating as well. When I was in high school basketball players wore uniforms that could basically be called a combination of a short satin gym short with a matching satin sleeveless A-shirt with a number and name on it. I always thought the guys looked really neat as the shorts had maybe only a 5-inch or so inseam. I presume that everyone had something on underneath, in those days specifically an old school jock strap and cup. And the guys in order to play had to all appear in public wearing this. This was not like appearing in public as a brief-clad swimmer or diver, but close. It’s fun to look back at old High school annuals at team photos and take note how scanty these uniforms really were.

Compression gear as undergarb was unheard of. The idea of wearing a compression tee UNDER the satin A-shirt was unheard of, nor would anyone be wearing white compression shorts under the looser fitting satin ones.

But, times change. Guys started wearing the compression tees and pants that covered the shoulders and extended below the shorts. Straps were replaced with pockets in compression shorts that could hold a cup. And the inseams on the shorts in the uniforms kept getting longer and longer, extending all the way to the knee.

The shorter shorts seem to be making a small comeback, but this has been very gradual.

The wrestling singlets as worn by the competitive wrestlers at the high school and college level have long fascinated me. Part of the issue is that, like swimming jammers, bulges for the guy’s anatomy often show given the snug fit, not unlike the situation football players face. A question I have for wrestlers is what, if anything do you wear UNDER the singlet. Not much, apparently, given some of the photos I have seen. A strap? A pair of brief underwear? Something else? Is a cup mandated?

I also hear that some wrestling coaches complain that guys do not take up the sport because they do not want to be required to wear a singlet, a problem similar to the swimming coach that has trouble convincing team swimmers that they need to wear a brief. Some coaches have responses by allowing wrestlers to practice and maybe to compete at local events clad in sweatpants. But at the college level, the singlets still rule.

Water rowers tend to like to wear garb similar to what the wrestlers do. But there are singlets designed specifically for rowers. They are expensive--$100 or more--compared to wrestling singlets that can be found on line for maybe $20-25. What to wear underneath for the rower is another issue. A strap--no real need for a cup.

As a stationary rower and stationary bike rider, I think I look the part wearing a wrestling singlet. The stretch fabric works well. The serious outdoor bike riders wear a two-piece uniform consisting of tight compression pants that have padding sewn into the butt area, and a top that fits equally snug but usually in a team color other than black.

How about the cowboys? The uniform here is a pair of snug-fitting wrangler jeans and a snug-fitting, snap button, colorful, long-sleeved, western-style shirt. Rodeos have a strong female fan base who watch the “wrangler butts” The “right” pair of jeans emphasizes the cowboy’s male anatomy in front as well, which is of interest as well.

There are all sorts of other sports we could talk about as well. The really skimpy briefs worn by the competitive bodybuilders that appear to leave almost nothing to the imagination. Winter Olympic sports such as the luge and the speed skaters, participants in both sports clad head to toe in some of the snuggest –fitting outfits I have ever seen.

Today, I got to thinking about writing an essay on the erotic nature of the clothes worn in a lot of different sports. The problem is that the essay has gotten longer the more I think about the subject.

I will stop for now and see if you have any comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg football players.jpg (72.5 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by sebbie : 06-13-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:54 AM

When I wrestled in public school I was issued a 100% nylon (not smooth but heavy, scratchy with no stretch) singlet. It was made by a company called Pro Knit Wear. A jock strap was also issued. Cups were not worn since they would move out of position and I was told caused more discomfort.

When I coached other than the singlets being made of nylon/spandex everything has remained the same. I coached in the early 80's and the boys were very excited to wear their singlet, as compared to todays kids.

I still have all my singlets somewhere in a box.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:33 PM

Default The male rite of passage

The male rite of passage

In the 1950s and 60s, for many if not most boys, there was a male rite of passage that marked the end of childhood and the beginning of being a young adult. You probably think that this must be the first real orgasm that a guy has while wide awake, but this time I am thinking of something else.

What I am thinking about is the first time a guy is required to wear a strap, and probably a cup as well. At early ages, guys may not think their private parts need to be not only contained but protected from injury from the outside. I suppose the young baseball players are the first to be told that they need to wear a cup if they are going to play on a team. Part of this is something of a male tribal ritual that calls the notion that a guy’s organs are really important parts of his anatomy that should not be damaged in any way.

Getting a first strap and cup was always a “learning experience” for a young male. At some level, getting one’s head around the idea that he must wear this and still successfully play the sport was part of the challenge. But doing this was made easier by knowing that all the other guys on the team were required to do the same thing. Still, that strap looked mean as all get out. It fit closely to the body in all sorts of places, and gripped body parts quite securely. And adding the cup only increased the apprehension, as the guy knew trhe small cup would likely make itself quite noticeable bearing down on sensitive body parts. Still, the other guys were all doing the same thing, and if they managed, most guys were not going to back away. After all, wearing the jock and cup was a firm requirement for playing the sport.

Runners too, in the 1950s and 60s, liked to run in what we would now call short shorts—typically loose-fitting nylon shorts on occasion with a brief-style nylon lining made with the same material but sometimes unlined as well. Without additional protection, key body parts would simply flop around down there with every step. Basically, something needed to be worn so that the ‘nads stayed firmly in one place.

The solution, of course was to wear a strap of the appropriate size—large enough to enclose the genitalia and snug enough so the genitalia were largely held in one place step by step. A strap was generally an essential part of a runner’s running gear. But in the 50s and 60s straps tended to be rather “mean”, and as the runner took each step, those snug straps would cause chafing in the groin area wherever they came in close contact with the skin. The solution? Vaseline® of course. Routinely runners greased the entire groin area with Vaseline in all of the spots where the straps came in contact with the skin as well as where the edges of the pouch and the skin came in contact.

A runner might spend 15 or 20 minutes preparing himself for the run greasing himself up and getting his strap in exactly the proper position.

Bike® by far was the leading strap manufacturer with designs used without a cup and designs that generally included a cup. Cup designs in the 1950s tended to be smaller and less roomy than the ones we see today, but that made them more “interesting” to wear. Remember, compression gear had basically not been invented yet. The idea of wearing a compression short underneath the uniform with a cup pocket did not exist. Same for runners. Nowadays we thing of runners mainly wearing a pair of snug compression shorts with maybe a looser fitting pair of shorts that covers some of the compression short, but makes obvious the guy is wearing two layers.

The rise of the compression gear industry has had a lot to do with the decline of the jock strap industry. I suspect that the real straps now sell in only a fraction of the numbers they sold back then. Wikipedia provides a great history of the company here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIKE_Athletic_Company

Briefly, the article says the company was formed in 1874 and the early straps were intended for bicycle riders, hence the name. They also claim to have sold over 300 million straps over the years. Over the years they focused on “athletic protective gear”. They tried to market more general athletic clothing under the Bike name. I think the problem was that the Bike name was synonymous with jock strap and so marketing something under that brand was a non-starter,

The company was sold to the Russell company, another athletic wear brand. Russell became part of Fruit of the Loom, and FOTL was a brand owned by Berkshire Hathaway, Warren Buffett’s empire.Russell has had its own market problems, and in 2017 they discontinued making anything under the Bike label.

In my personal strap collection, I still have a few Bike® branded straps and some in pristine condition. I still regard being able to crawl into a strap as being a true male rite-of-passage thinking about all the guys who got to do this for the first time as young teens or even earlier. While compression gear is fun to wear too, every guy needs to have the experience of being strapped and cupped. It’s one of those great parts of just being a guy!
Old 06-15-2020, 10:51 AM

Each season we passed out new jock straps to the team. Size was always a question--waist size that is. Of course all the boys, thinking the size was in reference to the pouch, wanted large. I still chuckle remembering this 85 pound boy requesting a large jock.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:29 PM

Default Embarrassment

So the straps were a requirement for engaging in the sport. I suppose it made as much sense for the school to provide the straps as it did for the school to provide the uniforms. But another issue might have been that the guy felt more than a little uncomfortable going to (probably back then) the local drug store to purchase one. And even telling your parents what you needed and letting them make the purchase was another potentially embarrassing situation.

The guys who were getting a strap for the first time were probably scared stiff. If the other guys said "Large' that is what you should say. But in straps a men's Large is a very different size from a boy's (aka "Youth") Large. The other problem strap manufacturers have is the lack of correlation between waist size and penis size, and straps are sold by waist size which assumes that as the waist gets bigger then the pouch size should get bigger too. But guys with a small waist may have a large penis. And vice versa. You see the fitting problem here.

I am reminded of the classic scene from the movie "Summer of 42" where the coming-of-age lad (actor Gary Grimes) decides he needs to have condoms. He goes to the drugstore and meets a friendly druggist and then hesitates to explain to the druggist what he is really looking for. It's a classic and funny movie scene as his predicament plays out relating to the embarrassment in just saying "I need a pack of condoms". In 1942, condoms were kept behind the counter in drug stores.

I can see guys in need of their first strap potentially facing a similar situation which is probably one reason why coaches passed out the straps.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:47 PM

Default A very early strap

I’ve watched sports equipment change over many decades. I managed to dig out of my drawer one of my first straps. I’m thinking that the first one I bought was a bit bigger than this one, but this one still is from way back.

Not being a participant in any sports that required a strap, I think I got my first strap after I had moved away from home and was into college. But growing up, I was a tall but really skinny guy, and my weight at 5’10 was about 110 lbs. So that meant that I also had a really small waist.

This strap I purchased way back, but I do not recall exactly where I went or how I got to that point. I did not have the excuse the other guys had—that I needed it for a sport. I just liked the look and potentially the fit and feel of the strap. I knew I wanted a really snug fit. I also thought that a really tight strap would be fun to jerk off in, though that was an empirical “experiment” of sorts.

Anyhow, I somehow ended up with the strap you see here. As you can see the brand is MacGregor, a popular sports clothing brand in the day. The size is B R which stands for Boys Regular. Translated, that might be a size appropriate for a small 12-year old. Just getting into this was going to be something of a struggle even for me at my low body weight. But I was not buying the strap in order to wear it while engaging in a sport, unless you count what I had in my mind you could call a sport.

The measure says the waist measure but 9 inches across. Double that and you get 18 inches. But the waistband stretches a lot. I can still get into this, somewhat. The elastic still has a lot of stretch to it. That pouch looks to be more appropriate for a pre-pubescent boy, but that meant once I did get in it fit snug—really snug.

Oddly enough, otherwise this strap is still in reasonably good shape for being 50-years old or more. It has stained yellow in some interesting spots, but I would attribute that to the fact that cum-stains are often difficult to wash out completely, and what remains tends to gradually darken over time. Clearly, I had a lot of fun after I slipped on this strap.

Have my readers also kept sports clothing items like this that they bought when they were young?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strap2.jpg (60.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-15-2020, 06:23 PM

Default My First Swim Brief

My first swim brief

I got my first swim brief sometime in 1970 or 71. In retrospect it was a fairly large but still a brief style. It was made of material that stretched quite a lot—not just nylon—and clung tightly to my skin. This was waist size 34 and the sides were about 4 inches. The brand name was Jantzen. Jantzen was famous for female swimwear and the brand logo was a photo of a female diver, even on the men’s suits. The pattern was a patriotic red, white and blue with stars.

Keep in mind that the Summer Olympics where Mark Spitz won seven swimming gold medals occurred in 1972 a little over a year later. The iconic photo of Spitz and his medals, clad only in a patriotic swim brief, became a famous wall poster. Spitz’ brief was not THAT different from my brief in cut, color or design. The sides look to me to be even wider, maybe closer to 5 inches. This was well before the period when the really skimpy narrow-sided briefs came into fashion among internationally-competitive swimmers. Spitz was only about two years younger than me, so I was of his generation.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/26d7969c...o1oo1_1280.jpg

A year or so later I got my first real Speedo® brief. That was still in a flag motif but much narrower sides and a skimpier cut all around. I liked that.

The funny part about this is that I still have the Jantzen brief. It is not in great shape but the stretch fabric still stretches and has not completely fallen apart. There is a use and care tag but that makes no mention as to what the fabric is made of. Looking on the Internet I found a vintage Jantzen brief made of Lycra and Polyamide with the Polyamide being nylon or close to it.

At some point, the Speedo® completely disintegrated and completely fell apart, and I had to throw it away. I will admit that the Speedo ended up taking more male abuse than the Jantsen did. Given the cut I rather liked it better. And Lycra briefs I have found often don’t hold up well when laundering out cum stains, stains that are sometime reluctant to dissolve and disappear. Whatever Jantsen did the fabric was very stretchy and form-fitting and had a much longer life that the Speedo fabric.

Still, I had a lot of fun in both of these briefs, and the Jantsen that is with me now still serves as a reminder to me of how truly great times once were for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sw1a.jpg (52.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by sebbie : 06-15-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 12:25 PM

Default Experiments

So, I tried getting into my old Jantzen swim brief last night. In the photos you saw of the brief it looked rather stretched out. But interestingly, it fit pretty well..only a bit baggy here and there and the colors were just a bit faded. But overall, it had a nice 70s "vibe" to it. I'm going to continue to hang on to this as an early representative of some of the first stretch fabric swim briefs.

I also tried wearing the really undersized MacGregor strap. Oddly enough, what appears to be an ultra-small waistband is able to stretch a lot. I remember just being able to get into it many years (40+) years ago. But I am still able to get it on and around my waist.

The trickier part is getting anything other than my penis into the pouch. the pouch is so small that my balls just want to stay outside.

I remember having the same struggle with it years ago. It takes a lot of attention and work to get myself entirely in the pouch where I should be. But I also understand why I liked being in this particular strap so much. Playing around in the effort is still quite enjoyable. A lot of guys might not find doing this that interesting, but its a stunt I would always enjoy doing. And it's a fun look in the mirror once I get myself all in place. This bigger guy with all his private parts compressed into this tiny strap...and nothing else.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:27 PM

Default My First Compression Shorts

My First Compression Shorts

Compression shorts as worn by athletes most often as undergarments when engaging in a sport is something that has occurred relatively recently, at least compared to the dates when the Bike jock strap was introduced in the mid 1800s and the Swim brief only starting to become popular in the 1950s. The idea of wearing compression shorts as an undergarment, say, under basketball shorts, probably first became popular with only a few professional athletes in the late 1980s, but by the early 1990s that same idea of using a compression short, perhaps instead of wearing a strap, spread to colleges and then high schools.

I got my first pair of compression shorts about 1990, I think. Having had a long fascination with wearing anything that fit snug in the groin area, this just represented another option for me to run my experiments. Other guys probably were curious as well. Exactly how do these fit and feel?

So, around 1990, you typically did not go searching for compression shorts in the clothing section of a department store. Rather, you found your way to the sporting goods section of the store. The big discount chains (Walmart, Kmart) always had a section in the sporting goods department that contained a short wall of “safety” items a guy might need when engaging in a sport. Knee protectors, mouthguards, straps both with and without cups, but all wearable safety-related sports-related gear. It was common for drugstores to sell similar gear, straps etc. along side knee and elbow wraps and treat the section as medical-related gear designed to reduce or eliminate a variety of injuries.

The new item around 1990 was bubble packages containing compression shorts for guys, right next to the athletic supporters. So, I wandered into Walmart about this time with the idea of checking out the straps that were available, and along side of the straps were the new compression shorts, available in white or black. I ended up buying one of each, both size SM, of course. They were about $12 each.

The brand name was Bollinger, and Bollinger also sold other sports gear designed to help minimize injury in the same section of the store. The compression shorts were just a new item.

From the moment I put them on, I loved my Bollingers. I was so fond of them that I sometimes slept in them through the night. I loved the fit and feel

I still have both pairs though at the moment I am not certain where the white pair is. I am wearing the black pair as I write this. How does the pair from 1990 differ from compression shorts from more recently? That is an interesting question. The Bollingers have moderately short legs, maybe a 7-inch inseam. No effort was made to sew in a visible pouch, they just fit flat in front.

The tag that is still on them says 85% nylon and 15% Spandex. But the material is thicker and much heavier duty than the material in my more recent purchases. This heavy-duty material provides more compression than the current generation of shorts I have been buying.

Pulling them on today I fully understand why I was so turned on about these when I got them. They really feel great. My body is in a special place.

Interestingly, the spandex has not deteriorated at all. They still fit every bit as snug as they did the first time I wore them. The seams have held up well. However, the elastic waistband did come loose from the short in a number of places. I stitched them back together on my sewing machine.

I really like the vintage look and feel to the material. I’m constantly reminded of them as the day goes on. The question, of course, is whether this should be a guy’s sole undergarment or whether a guy should wear another layer underneath. These would seem to work well over an old-school strap, as one possibility. I could have gone with an undersized pair of tighty whiteys, but today I chose a little cotton thong instead. I will be doing my daily rowing and biking workout wearing this combination today.

There are lots and lots of compression shorts on the big online retailer sites. All of these appear to be made of a very stretchy but much lighter-weight material than my Bollingers. I have not seen compression shorts at the big discount houses in some time regardless of fabric weight. Brands like Nike® and Undergear® appear at the sporting goods stores.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:15 PM

Default Trends in Popular Underwear designs for males

Trends in Popular Underwear designs for males

I enjoy looking at the latest trends in underwear designs for males. The best way to learn about what guys must be wearing is to look in the men’s and boy’s underwear aisles in the big discount department stores such as Walmart and Target. These stores cater to where the majority of their shoppers are at any given point in time. So I wouldn’t expect anything too trendy. Besides, guy in search of trendy underwear now largely shop on-line. No, what you see in-store is what guys who still shop in-store are wearing.

I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s. In that era the white cotton brief (aka tighty whitey) was almost like a uniform that any guy my age was “supposed” to wear. The alternative was the so-called mid-length brief that had maybe a 2-3 inch leg, but the material was the same. The mid-length brief is sometimes now referred to as the boxer brief. Generally, cotton briefs back then came only in white. A colored brief was risky. Moms washed white clothes together and colored clothes together. A red pair of cotton briefs, if thrown into the white clothes, could turn everything a weird shade of light pink, or so it was feared.

Probably late 50s was when briefs manufacturers first experimented with dyes colorfast enough so that they could be put in a washing machine with the white things, but that was still risky for moms. In the 60s they started experimenting with briefs made of other fabrics, such as colored nylon, but guys were wary of underwear that looked too much like a girl’s panty, and the nylon fit loosely, not like the Lycra-blend nylon we think of wearing today. So even when I was in college, all the guys were still wearing white cotton briefs. The briefs also worked well with the narrow-snug-fitting sand-colored denim jeans that every guy was wearing at the time.

But as the jeans styles went back to being loose-fitting and less butt-hugging, guys gradually made a transition to loose-fitting cotton or poly-cotton boxer shorts often in a blue plaid. No stretch at all. Private parts were now free to flop around and roam at will, but some guys—maybe most—seemed to enjoy the new-found “freedom”. But freedom comes at a price. Nothing was tied down. Then the jeans had gotten really loose-fitting as well. Still, having one’s private parts simply flopping around all day long got old. This wasn’t working all that well either. Still, this was the era when boys got teased and bullied for wearing anything other than loose-fitting blue plaid boxers—tighty whiteys were particularly singled out. The choice of underwear for the teen male boiled down to what would not attract undue attention in the high school gym locker room—and blue plaid boxers it was!

Then, a couple things happened. NBA players started showing up obviously wearing compression shorts under their uniforms, and the legs of the compression shorts dangled under the inseam of the uniform shorts. Players at the top colleges soon followed suit, and teen guys everywhere were wondering what this was all about. They soon ended up going out to their local big-box sporting goods store which had this new line of clothing from UnderArmor a company that was focusing on compression tees and shorts like the NBA players were wearing. And guys opted to give it a try first as gear for the gym, but then why not wear the same stuff as daily underwear as well.

The blue jeans market in the 80s and 90s was dominated by what I call the ‘hood look—that is loose fitting jeans that contained lots and lots of denim. The slimmed-down look did not really get going until the start of the 21st century. The loose-fitting boxer shorts were fine with loose-fitting jeans,, but jeans that fit snug in the butt and thigh required a more snug-fitting undergarment. Jeans manufacturers were still debating if guys would accept denim made with 1 or 2 percent Lycra® and initially worried guys would think it too “girlie” but accept this they did. With the Lycra®, a guy could easily wear jeans with an inch or even two inches smaller waist than he wore when the denim was not stretchy. (Girls had known that for ages). The tight fitting look was “in”.

However, tight-fitting jeans called for a drastic change in underwear. Plaid cotton boxers were out. Snug was in. The underwear manufacturers had taken note that UnderArmor, selling mainly compression gear of various sorts, was prospering. Why not develop underwear styles that were consistent with the compression look but designed for fitting neatly under the snug-fitting jeans? And thus the compression- style underwear made of stretch poly and Lycra fabrics was born. Tighty whiteys were out, but so were loose-fitting boxer briefs.

Dads take note of what their teen sons are wearing. If a teen son likes a particular style of underwear, it won’t be long until dad is wearing something similar. So right now we are seeing gobs of compression style stretch underwear with about a 5-inch leg length—designs that look almost like a compression short but are made to be worn under any style of clothing, but particularly the narrow jeans and other pants that are so popular right now.

The underwear can be in a somber navy blue, grey, or black, or maybe even in a brightly colored pattern. A related trend, one used by Hollister, one of the retailers that caters to teens, is to make underwear from the same pattern and stretch cloth in a variety of lengths. They make a brief, a shorter-length trunk that has about a 1-inch inseam and looks like a sunga, what they call a “classic” trunk with about a 3-inch inseam and a longer-length trunk that has about a 5-inch inseam. All from the same fabric [95 % cotton, 5% Elastane (Lycra)]

https://www.hollisterco.com/shop/us/...wear-and-socks

The 7- and 9-inch longer-inseam underwear are easy to find too at other retailers, and these look more like swimming jammers or true compression gear for sport, and fit mid thigh to just above the knee. The question here is “fly or no fly”. Both are readily available. Dad takes his lead from what the teen son likes, and what is popular with teen males soon finds its way to older guys as well. This as the popularity of classic cotton briefs for guys continues to decline for males of all ages, and the racier stuff (I.e. men’s thongs from Asian manufacturers) become stuff guys purchase on line only.

So there you have it! The short history of underwear for males from the 1950s to the present.