Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 11:51 AM

Default trends

Well, well - forgotten all that of nearly a year ago and there we were discussing split-sided short running shorts - a subject which arose
again only last month.

(hope it follows ....)
Old 07-28-2013, 03:51 PM

Granted the trend is slow but its gaining momentum. Short shorts seem to have had an easier come back. Brief swimwear on the other hand have all kinds of image issues to overcome (not of their own making) and are slowly going forward.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaulis
Granted the trend is slow but its gaining momentum. Short shorts seem to have had an easier come back. Brief swimwear on the other hand have all kinds of image issues to overcome (not of their own making) and are slowly going forward.
The "image problem" is a red herring for the real issue of how much of men's upper legs should be exposed. Upper legs are upper legs no matter whether it's running shorts or swimming briefs.

The main problem is having the courage to wear what you want and to Hell with the illusory issue of what the public thinks.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dolphin
The "image problem" is a red herring for the real issue of how much of men's upper legs should be exposed. Upper legs are upper legs no matter whether it's running shorts or swimming briefs.

The main problem is having the courage to wear what you want and to Hell with the illusory issue of what the public thinks.
I agree, people should have the confidence to wear what they want and not care what others think. When people see a guy in short shorts their first thought is oh he's a runner. When people see a guy in brief swimwear their first thought had been oh he must be gay since he's wearing that swimsuit. This is why I think guys have been reluctant until recent time to buy or be caught looking at brief swimwear. Please let me know if my thinking is flawed on this matter.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:53 AM
Speedo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaulis
I agree, people should have the confidence to wear what they want and not care what others think. When people see a guy in short shorts their first thought is oh he's a runner. When people see a guy in brief swimwear their first thought had been oh he must be gay since he's wearing that swimsuit. This is why I think guys have been reluctant until recent time to buy or be caught looking at brief swimwear. Please let me know if my thinking is flawed on this matter.

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head. I can speak from experience as I once was thinking from the opposite side of the pool. Two years ago I was absolutely positive I would never be caught dead in a speedo due to the false precrption that only gay guys wear speedos. I never could understand why a guy, minus the boys in water sports, would slip on a pair.
Thankfully I accidentally gave em a try and have realized quite the opposite. Hopefully I can recruit some trunk wearers to convert as well.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 PM

Default Image

Agree - it is not about body visibility at the thigh per se . The trouble with the younger generation is that they aspire in fashion to be seen in nothing which may be thought insufficiently macho and it must be acceptable (and preferably admirable) alongside their peers (just like a herd of sheep).

The image must be right and "cool" for what is currently "in" and anything not so conforming frightens them and so must be loudly condemned as unacceptable.

Guys going for short shorts will likely have an image advantage here however as they say "I am a fit guy - I look after myself and I demand maximum freedom of movement to maintain the good running times in my workout program".

The speedo brief however says ......................................(what?
(it may denote athleticism at the pool but on the beach ...... ??)

The impractical boardies may be useless for swimming but their statement is that "I wear the same as those bold and trendy guys who master those big waves you see out there".

There is hope however if tennis may be taken as an example of style evolution. Here is the playing
"uniform" of the early 1900s and what the youth of the period thought about the acceptability and/or inspiration of that we shall doubtless never know.
The subsequently famous Rene Lacoste was however bold enough to bring his
new shirt to the US Open in 1926 - and with SHORT sleeves would you believe! (but the long flannel trousers remained as I guess that a change there also might have been taking a step too far for the time)
http://blog.clothes2order.com/wp-con...1/Capture3.png
Old 07-30-2013, 03:05 AM

I don't get the connection that wearing a brief style suit for swimming is somehow "Gay".

As a practical matter, swimming is done best while wearing a minimum of clothing and that's why briefs were the standard for decades.

More coverage in the water (boardies and jammers) just gives me the annoying "Taking a bath with your clothes on" sensation.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 AM

Default Perception

The age old problem - it is not the facts that count but what are generally perceived to be the facts.
Any marketing and/or advertising practitioner will tell you this is used to their advantage on occasions and politicians are quite happy also to leave a misconception in place if it serves their cause.
I may be misquoting Hitler or Goebbels here but "The bigger the lie the more it will be believed".
Old 07-30-2013, 05:39 AM

Thank You Bryon and Drenalin for helping clarify my position.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM

Default bienvenue

You're welcome, as Louis might say (and maybe we had better think of casting a new speedo medal if Drenalin succeeds in his conversions)