Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2014, 02:55 AM
Speedo Member

Default "Appropriate" Swimwear

Hi guys,

I was just wondering your opinion on something. You see, usually I swim at my university's pool, where I am happy to say brief-style swimwear isn't uncommon at all.

However, for winter break I signed up at another gym that is closer to my home. On the way out from the locker room there is a sign on the door to the gym's pool saying, "Co-ed area. Please wear appropriate swimming attire."

Seeing as this is in the U.S., I can't help but think "appropriate" excludes all brief style swimwear, not just the blatantly revealing styles. I'm tempted to just wear my regular arena competition suit while doing laps regardless of what the sign says, but I wonder if people would go

I'm tempted to ask my girlfriend to go through the women's door to see if there's a similar sign about "appropriate" attire. Unfortunately she doesn't have a membership to this gym....yet.

What do you think?
Old 12-21-2014, 03:25 AM

I'd consider brief swimwear appropriate for a gym pool, in the absence of an explicit statement by management to the contrary. If in doubt, ask. The worst they can say is, "no." I suspect strongly though that if the suit would be considered appropriate for a swim competition, it would be approved for use at their pool
Old 12-21-2014, 05:15 AM

Oh come on, you guys are absolutely silly. Of course briefs are appropriate. Do you think for a minute that USA Swimming and any of the fifty state high school swimming associations and FINA and YMCA and any of the other governing bodies of the sport of competitive swimming and diving would allow something "inappropriate" to be worn by kids and adults alike? Seriously now.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:28 AM

2" sided classic racing Speedos (and other similar briefs) are suitable swimming attire in any sports environment.
Even a 1" side isn't inappropriate but you may be pushing the envelope.
Going towards a low cut brief that allows a tunnel view at the rear may be going too far, while wearing a swim thong would be asking to be thrown out.

A tenant of the British law on indecency was whether public opinion regarded material to be indecent, by pleading not guilty the matter would be taken before a jury and they would decide. The resulting trials eg that of Lady Chatterley's Lover or Oz changed society.

The thing to do is to wear 2" or 3" Speedos and see the reaction, if the majority (or even a significant minority) start wearing speedos then you could aim for something more adventurous. Remember, a frog will jump out if placed in a pan of hot water but sit happily until he is cooked if placed in cool water and slowly warmed.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:49 AM

I see the sign as saying : "We've had guys jump in the pool nude or even in your underwear. Please do not do that as there are possibly women around and swimming there!"

Last edited by sebbie : 12-21-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:07 PM

I would wear my swim brief suit and not worry about it. I'd not wear a sheer cut Aussiebum, but then I don't wear those anyway for swimming laps. A speedo brief or similar brand is perfectly fine for a pool. I swam once at a lake that had a similar sign and it was not an issue.

STS
Old 12-21-2014, 01:20 PM

If it's a gym as well, they probably just want to make the point that people must have proper swimming kit - not jump into the pool in their training shorts or briefs for instance. I have seen this happen: guys have turned up to the gym to train and then think it would be nice to have a dip afterwards, but of course haven't come prepared with the right kit.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:55 PM

Smile

Inappropriate swimming attire would be thongs or any suit that becomes see through when wet. But all other briefs down to 2" would be appropriate because that's what swimmers wear when doing laps.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:28 PM

At a sports centre I use there was a sign by the Jacuzzi saying that following recent inappropriate behaviour the police had been called and would be again if any further inappropriate behaviour occurred. The sign was up for at least 10 years, I guess one complaint in 10 years isn't bad.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:04 PM

Would 'inappropriate' also mean swim pants below the knee, as they are now disallowed by FINA?