Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2017, 06:08 PM
Speedo Member

Red face "do's and don'ts"

Hi guys, inexperienced lap swimmer here. 35 y.o, in cold New England I'm thinking of adding swimming to a work out routine. In the past I have gone to gyms on day passes from time to time so I didn't care if I was being "inappropriate" in my swim suits, work out clothes or locker room nudity. But I want to take exercise seriously this time and make it a regular thing, and I don't want to offend anyone (unless someone totally against men's swimwear).

1. How visible should my penis line be? I tried on a few of my suits last night and noticed how visible the outline of my penis is. Should I worry about this or is that just a part of swimming? I tried a thong on underneath to see if it would smooth things out, anyone else do this?

2. Suit cut, is there a standard minimum at most places? I'm assuming all briefs need to be full rear, but are one inch sides usual? Or should I wear 3 inch or square cuts?

These are my questions for now, I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on. I'm sure this stuff has been discussed before but I couldn't find a thread on this stuff.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-18-2017, 06:41 PM

Wear something that you feel comfortable in and that won't end up dangling around your ankles when you dive in or kick off the sides.
When you start swimming in a new pool wear something fairly conservative so that if you are the only male in swim briefs they won't make you stand out as a freak. As you get used to a pool start wearing brighter colours and patterns if you feel they will be accepted. Swimming is sporty and sensuous and you should try to reflect that in what you choose wear when you swim.
In Europe swim briefs are about 2" long at the side, while Americans seem to prefer 3" sides. A swim suit with 1" sides is considered a swim bikini and should only be worn in a public pool if you are confident that you will be accepted in it, after wearing a 2" swim brief.
The front of your swim briefs will display a bulge, a lined suit front will smooth over your bulge so that it will not catch the eye. Unlined, pouched or transparent suits will draw the eye to this area. Try to balance how many eyes you catch against causing offense and being asked to leave the pool. You will have to learn how the other swimmers and Lifeguards in your pool react before taking things to the limit, but gently push the envelope and see if the others object or join you by converting to speedos themselves.
Have fun, collect a few speedos that you like but don't get banned from the pool.
The briefs you can't wear at the pool can be fun at home or on a quiet beach.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:01 PM

At my local pool, I wear black or navy blue briefs with 1.5" sides and there aren't any problems with that.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:20 PM
Speedo Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll start out wearing a black Nike off the shelf from sports authority. I'll keep the wilder suits for private time at home!

I tried to upload some pics of my VPL to get some opinions but couldn't get them to load. It's a few of my favorite suits that surprised me about how visible the outline is.

Two more questions..

Will I look stupid if I don't wear goggles my first couple times swimming?

And I should rinse off in the shower before going to the pool, right? So does that mean that I should make the walk from the locker room to the pool in just my swim briefs?

Sorry for the dumb questions guys
Old 01-18-2017, 11:56 PM

1. I would wear a traditional cut brief, which is usually a 2-3 inch side. I would avoid a 1 inch or less cut and really a 1.5 inch is smaller than usual. Remember, you are there to swim, not make a fashion statement.
2. I would not be too hung up on the fact that your anatomy might show, as long as you are not intentionally wearing a suit designed to make it show. Everyone knows that swim briefs show bulges and such. If you wear a suit designed for fitness or competitive swimming you have no reason to worry. Avoid tranparent or translucent colors. No one wants to see your anatomy that vividly at a lap pool.
3. No one cares if you don't wear goggles, but I can't imagine swimming in a public, heavily chlorinated pool without them. The damage to your eyes should tell you to go get goggles. If you are not wearing goggles because you don't put your head in the water you really need to change your swimming technique.
4. Shower and walk to the pool in your swimsuit, assuming the locker leads to the pool. If you have to walk through the gym to get there, just do whatever the other guys do.

I love hot swimwear more than most. A pool designed for lap swimming is not the place for suits that are more designed to flaunt your male parts. A time and a place for everything.

STS
Old 01-19-2017, 12:36 AM

I'd say 1"-1.5" sides are acceptable if it is clearly a water polo or general swim brief. Something more for style like Andrew Christian or aussieBum for example probably wouldn't fly. I'd also stick to lined either way.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:40 AM

here in the US i wear these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seobean-New-...-/322148033241

this is at my local YMCA when swimming laps. I did start in something with a bit more coverage that had maybe a 2 inch side and a bit more coverage in the back. then switched over to this. For lap swimming i dont see ever switching to something more revealing then this as i'm here for a workout.

hope that helps
Old 01-19-2017, 06:07 AM

Goggles are a must in all serious swim training except lifesaving. Lifesaving training requires you to swim while watching a casualty or the spot where a casualty was last seen so keeping your head above the water is essential.

Most pools want swimmers to shower before entering the water so the swimmer will go from the changing/lockers area, past the toilets then to the showers and the pool. If you have to walk through a crowded gym to get to the pool from the showers then slip on shorts and a track suit top if the thought of being nearly naked among dressed people concerns you. Find out what everyone else does and conform except for enjoying your speedos, and remember you don't have to wear black and navy every day.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:35 PM

Sort of happened to me last week in one of those 'changing villages'. I had to walk past a fully clothed woman to get to the shower area.

I'm of the opinion now though, if pools can't provide separate changing rooms for men and women - then I and they will just have to put up with it.