Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 10:56 PM

Default Old Speedo White Stag ads

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5717549.html
Old 08-29-2014, 11:59 AM

Default fun post

Sebbie, I remember well the "Caught for Speeding" ad. I actually had that torn out of some magazine and it was hung on the wall in my bedroom. It is probably buried in a box in the attic...lol. I was just a teen then, maybe early high school? It was one of the many swim posters and pictures that adorned my walls at the time.

I don't think I knew Speedo and White Stag were joined together for a while. That 1960's picture is pretty daring for the time, especially how close her hand is to him.

Thanks for the post.

STS
Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 PM

Sorry those ads only went up to the 1970s - by the late 80s, Speedo came out with their 'paper' suits - would have loved to see an ad for those....
Old 08-30-2014, 03:12 PM

Default Paper suits

Yes, the paper suits... by my college time they were out. They were really tight and very tiny, thinking back it is a wonder they let us wear them. They also did not hold up well, a few meets and they were pretty much done, probably the tight fit and the material. Buy, they did look hot!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 PM

Default was a novelty at the time.

What's interesting is that the 1980's ads (Caught for speeding) probably came out when Lycra/Spandex was new and probably was considered a cool space-age material.

So maybe some people flocked to wearing these suits since it was a way to wear the latest. It's like that in any sports, right?

I doubt many people really competed seriously, so that it did not make a lot of difference compared to plain nylon or polyester suits. But maybe it was nice to be considered a serious swimmer.

I bet (can anyone remember) those suits were expensive too when first introduced, so there may be a luxury or high status associated with wearing Lycra/Spandex?

I wonder how much these men's briefs or women's one piece suits cost back then -- and adjusting for inflation, how much these latest suits would cost today.

Speedo's Fastskin costs a lot today, but since it looks just like any other suit, I bet there isn't much status. Maybe back then, people can tell you were wearing the latest Lycra suit since the other ones were less skin-tight?

Last edited by JamesSwim : 08-31-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSwim
I wonder how much these men's briefs or women's one piece suits cost back then

I've been a Speedo collector since I was 12, and supported my habit with the proceeds of my newspaper route. If I recall correctly, in the mid '60s a plain color nylon Speedo cost $3.50, and a side-panel model was $4.25. They came in a cardboard box.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:01 AM

Default not exactly sure

I recall in the 1970's that my Speedo swimsuits were about $6 give or take. Lycra suits were $1 -2 more. Before the 70's, my mom bought my swim team suits, so I don't remember the price. Arena suits were a bit more expensive than Speedo as I remember. Ocean brand was the cheapest. Jantzen also made swim briefs, but I am not sure if they were similar priced.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:25 AM

STS,

If I recall correctly Jantzen was priced about the same as Speedo give or take a dollar or two. I wore one a couple of times but I liked the fit of the Speedo better.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:52 AM

Default seems like it was not price that gave it high status

Thanks for answers. So it seems that it wasn't the price that gave Lycra suits higher status w hen they first came out.

But I bet it was probably considered novel and seemingly more "pro", so people viewed those who wore it with some respect.

Perhaps the analogy is with people who wear the cycling shorts today that resemble the competitors, even if you're a casual cyclist.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 AM

James,

I think that what attracted us to Lycra was that it was a tighter fit, and swimmers saw that as better advantage. I remember putting on my first lycra suit, which was solid red. It clung to me like nothing I had worn before. I stood in the mirror and you could see every detail, and I mean every detail. I am not sure if the lycra blend back then was different, but it sure seemed like those suits were much more clinging to your parts than the suits of today. My mom was shocked by that suit, almost didn't let me wear it.

Lycra also expanded the color options, so suits got more bold with prints. Our first lycra team suits were white with red trim and a red stripe across the waist line. They looked so hot at that time. We gave the girls quite the show...lol. I think that was 1976?

STS