Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 11:14 AM

Default Old men and Speedos

I got to reading this series of posts last night. It takes awhile, because there are 661 posts on 27 pages:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/fashion/...x2ELV6PE2YQX63

The thing that always amazes me is the vitriolic posts by women who seem downright angry at any man who would dare to wear a Speedo.

A few men too, but far fewer.

I go to the stores nowadays and snug-fitting briefs and boxer-briefs totally dominate the underwear shelves. I also realize that many men are not perfect body specimens. I am scratching my head and wondering what reaction these vitriolic women have when they see their hubbies or boyfriends in their underwear. Not every guy who wears underwear is a perfect specimen of male anatomy nor are they all in their teens or early 20s. So what drives the vitriolic comments about seeing a guy wearing a Speedo at the pool, hot tub or beach? One has to wonder. Americans seem to have these hangups to a far greater degree than in most of the rest of the world, for what that is worth. Are American men always supposed to be ashamed of their bodies?

Interestingly, women in America wear tiny, barely-there suits and often these women are not perfect bodies either. You dont see 27-page blogs on the Web devoted to why American women wear smaller and tighter swimwear than they should. So this seems to be mainly anger directed toward men by a subgroup of women as well as certain other men who seem to be insecure in their own skins. At some point every guy is going to end up in a situation where he is nude or nearly so in front of someone else. Once should not be so scared of ones' own appearance in minimal or no clothing that one completely falls apart. Think about it.

Sebbie

Last edited by sebbie : 12-09-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Speedo Member

I totally agree with your assessment. Women of all shapes and sizes wear bikini's nowadays and I don't see anyone rantin' on them.

And how about the beefy chicks wearing short shorts in the summer, sweaty thigh skin rubbing together as they walk, ewww. And the latest fad of wearing leggings (tights) in the winter, awesome on fit girls/women. Queen size gals should leave 'em at home but they don't, I see them everywhere!

I just don't get it....
Old 12-10-2012, 08:52 PM

Default Queen size gals....

King size men leave meggings at home too if tempted by the new 2013 men's fashion trend? (all the rage in NYC we are told)
http://freenewfashiondesign.com/wp-c...f-meggings.jpg
Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM

Default oldmen and........

Bryon they should be in speedos nothing else.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM

but baby it's cold outside .....
Old 12-12-2012, 01:49 AM

Default cafe terrasse

Yes, but not for Louis - crazy weather means comfortably sitting out for a coffee at the moment.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:41 AM

Default re.post#4

http://www.offerson.co.uk/sites/defa...eedos-fail.jpg
Maybe not this time when it's been shorts for tanning Louis.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 PM

Default to show or not to show....

Welcome new member today (and a forum contribution without product promotion - that makes a change)
Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 PM

Default old men...

well Il be darned they usually put them on top the speedo not under, unles its a new US fashion
Old 12-31-2012, 03:09 PM

Default my theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbie
I got to reading this series of posts last night. It takes awhile, because there are 661 posts on 27 pages:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/fashion/...x2ELV6PE2YQX63

The thing that always amazes me is the vitriolic posts by women who seem downright angry at any man who would dare to wear a Speedo.

A few men too, but far fewer.

I go to the stores nowadays and snug-fitting briefs and boxer-briefs totally dominate the underwear shelves. I also realize that many men are not perfect body specimens. I am scratching my head and wondering what reaction these vitriolic women have when they see their hubbies or boyfriends in their underwear. Not every guy who wears underwear is a perfect specimen of male anatomy nor are they all in their teens or early 20s. So what drives the vitriolic comments about seeing a guy wearing a Speedo at the pool, hot tub or beach? One has to wonder. Americans seem to have these hangups to a far greater degree than in most of the rest of the world, for what that is worth. Are American men always supposed to be ashamed of their bodies?

Interestingly, women in America wear tiny, barely-there suits and often these women are not perfect bodies either. You dont see 27-page blogs on the Web devoted to why American women wear smaller and tighter swimwear than they should. So this seems to be mainly anger directed toward men by a subgroup of women as well as certain other men who seem to be insecure in their own skins. At some point every guy is going to end up in a situation where he is nude or nearly so in front of someone else. Once should not be so scared of ones' own appearance in minimal or no clothing that one completely falls apart. Think about it.

Sebbie

You make an interesting point that brief underwear is popular, so it's contradictory that brief swimwear is not. Here are some theories.

1. Fashion appearance - women now like to wear bikinis, but they don't like to have their husbands or boyfriends wear something too similar (perhaps they think it's feminine?) in public. If she's wearing a blue bikini, and her boyfriend is also is wearing a blue brief, she may think he's wearing something that's too similar to what a women would wear? Women's clothing tends to more attention getting than men's, so they may expect men to be different.

2. Age issue - if men who are most comfortable wearing briefs are older (they got used to it a few decades ago) they don't want their boyfriends to look like they are older. I presume men's casual clothing used to be more revealing a few decades ago too? So if this is true, women don't want their boyfriends to wear say, their shirts unbuttoned too far down?

3. Getting attention -- women like the attention they get wearing bikinis. but women don't like to see their guys getting attention by others. Men don't mind seeing their girlfriends getting attention since they feel good they have an eye catching girlfriend? I think guys are more easily turned on by visual cues, but girls less so. Girls probably care about modesty for their boyfriends and not have other girls look at their guy?

4. Private vs public -- that's the most odd thing . If brief men's underwear is popular, why not swimwear? I think it's an issue of being private so the girl's the only one who gets to see the guy -- and nobody else, so she's happy with that.