Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2014, 06:53 PM

Default What is the drag effect on swimwear?

My local pool is 25 metres long and there is a countdown clock poolside, so I thought I would try and sprint as fast as I could. So yesterday I did one length backstroke which clocked 35 seconds, and after a short rest did front crawl in 20 seconds. I was amazed at the difference in the type of stroke used, so surely there must also be differences in the type of suit you wear?

If you swam wearing a shirt and a pair of trousers that must be slower than wearing swim briefs, obviously. So how much slower would you be wearing knee length board shorts? Has anyone tried to make a comparison?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:27 PM

Default slower by sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede735
My local pool is 25 metres long and there is a countdown clock poolside, so I thought I would try and sprint as fast as I could. So yesterday I did one length backstroke which clocked 35 seconds, and after a short rest did front crawl in 20 seconds. I was amazed at the difference in the type of stroke used, so surely there must also be differences in the type of suit you wear?

If you swam wearing a shirt and a pair of trousers that must be slower than wearing swim briefs, obviously. So how much slower would you be wearing knee length board shorts? Has anyone tried to make a comparison?

I haven't measured it but even when wearing mid-thigh length trunks I felt slower and felt more drag. That's why people train with drag suits. I actually wonder why they make specific drag suits. You can just wear board shorts and it will give you a work out. I suppose people want to wear something that resembles their normal suit (i.e. if they compete), so wearing board shorts may mess up your stroke or form?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:39 PM

Though maybe the difference is more pronounced in long distance swimming? I like to swim at least 50 lengths in a session, but to attempt that wearing board shorts sounds exhausting.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:49 AM

Default Adjust in other ways

Quote:
Though maybe the difference is more pronounced in long distance swimming? I like to swim at least 50 lengths in a session, but to attempt that wearing board shorts sounds exhausting.

Yes, I think it's best to use other things, like pull buoys or kickboards to adjust you swimming. I think 50 lengths in board shorts may get really tiring.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 PM

Smile

Quote:

Bede,

I try to swim between 20 and 25 laps each time and only having worn speedos since I started swimming 3 months ago, I can't even imagine what it would be like to swim in boardshorts.

D67