Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Default Maybe I'm a little weird, but....

OK, sorry this isn't Speedo-related, but thought some of you might find this interesting. My local paper carries the "Dear Abby" advice column, and today's question was titled "Group showers of sons has father feeling uneasy". A man wrote: "I am the single dad of two teenage boys (17 and 18) who are both in high school. I am wondering about something they do with their friends. The boys take showers in large groups. When they come in from running or sports, or if a group is spending the night, they shower in groups of 2,3, or 4. It's not like we have a huge shower - it's normal size. I know there's nothing sexual going on because I can hear them talking and joking around. When I asked the boys about this, they looked at me like I had two heads. They said it was just a social thing and the same as showering together after football in the school gym. They also 'air dry' after showers by walking around in towels, sometimes watching TV or goofing off for hours while in their towels. When going out, they get naked in the bathroom, fixing their hair, shaving, brushing their teeth, etc. It's like a big 'nude fest' with them and their friends. While I'm glad they are comfortable with their bodies and who they are, it still bothers me somewhat. Am I being a prude in thinking this is unusual or inappropriate?"
Abby replied: "I see nothing inappropriate about what your sons and their friends are doing. Nor do I want to label you a prude. You are just not as comfortable in your skin as your sons and their 'jock' friends are. Is it possible they take after their mother?"

Am I the only one who finds this letter somewhat erotic? Do teenaged guys really shower together at a private home? At school, communal showering is necessary, but it does seem odd to me that guys would do that while visiting each others homes. This letter to Abby almost seems 'titillating' to me, almost as if it was written by someone who 'gets off' on thoughts of teen guys naked together, but maybe I'm a little weird....
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 PM

Default i am with you...

it just seems odd. I swam for years, age 7 or 8 through college), not to mention masters and stuff after. Guy swimmers are more okay with being almost naked than most athletes. Gang showers were one thing in locker rooms (where it was the norm), but we never group showered elsewhere... and on AAU travel and college, we stayed four plus to hotel rooms. We did, however, hang out in towels wrapped around us (naked under)... that is not a surprise. There is a funny story there, but I will leave that for another time (not erotic, just funny).

I agree this story just sounds strange... as does the reply.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 AM

I saw a pic on the internet the other day of two men in India walking down a street holding hands. The caption explained that although homosexuality is frowned on there, men have no problem exhibiting affection for other men. I see guys in Mexico holding hands, too. I think male affection is kind of normal and its good old puritanical America that has suppressed it. Go to a football or baseball game some day and check the stands after the guys have had a few beers and their arms are all over each other. No, its probably not homosexuality, but definitely male to male affection once the social barriers against it have been breached by alcohol. Its too bad it takes getting drunk, or being on the way, for guys to feel free enough to be affectionate with each other. I think its natural, males were always around other males in various stages of undress for most of the time the human race has existed. I have loved other men, not in a sexual sense, I'm sure most guys have, too, and it would be nice if we could express it more. Maybe someday...

Last edited by kumu : 10-11-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:47 AM

Default agony aunts

I'm sure Abby must be aware that spoof letters often arrive but no doubt they meet a journalistic need to fill her page nevertheless, even if she suspects something.
(some agony aunts have been known to make up their own "readers' letters" anyway)
On the assumption that this is a genuine one I too can't understand the odd reply about the mother.

The age and upbringing of the father who writes here may be relevant - he seems to be overtly worried about some innocent and naive behaviour in the many facets of young male bonding which does not conform to the standards of his own youth. He has already checked on what might for him be most inappropriate sexual contact and he agrees every guy is having fun.
He just has to move with the times - has he never heard of what some young guys get up to in college fraternity initiations ? (probably far more for him to worry about there). Anyway if he is the head of the house HE should be making the rules about use of the shower under his roof and who gets invited to stay (sounds like a bit of a wimp to me).
Old 10-12-2012, 05:49 PM

If you have read The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy you will be familiar with the planet on which the population subjected to painfully badly fitting shoes that fell apart (creating an archaeological layer) simply evolved wings, gave up walking and flew into the trees.
Clothing for young men has been so awful for so long; what with baggy trousers worn below the buttocks with a crotch close to the knees, that it seems these young men have given up cloths and returned to the native joys of the sarong, in the form of a towel around the waist.
The great thing about showering naked with a group of other guys is that it scares off the homophobes, the rest can be themselves without some guy with a problem with his sexuality spreading hate and division.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 PM

Default maybe.......

Its something you get used to very fast, the firsr times I was very reluctany and felt very uncomfortable, then all of a sudden you realize that you are not the only one naked, all non gay swimmers and divers prof or not dont even notice the other guys in the shower, I should know that is the way it goes in the army and coastt guard where I served and all takes there showers severel at the time.

Theres a bunch of guys that where together at a gym started to mesure there penises with a ruler and not one single one of them where gay just keep in mind that teen agers will do juist about anything just for the fun of it so dont worry about your son, hmm... I wouldnt of bene surprised if the biggest penis got congratulations from the outher guys manhood obliges, lol many wish there zizi s where bigger and longer thinking that girls will appreciate it and will increase sexual pleasue of course this has not bene proven experts on that matter the sz has nothjing to do with that btw... such postings should be in the general topics section below the page, anuyway dont worry about it your son is ok.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:20 AM

Default some points

post #6: Well put by Torchwatch and I am trying to remember ..........Bishop.
Showing my age, but can anyone remember the good looking well-built and always tanned young guy in the mags. of way back, to be seen frequently posing in what I believe was called a Hawaiin Wrap? (seemed to be his trade mark - never recall other physique models wearing one).

post#5: This idiot has returned under another name and spread EIGHT posts around the forums this time. Have asked Mike if he can be deleted.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 AM

Default gobsmacked

I hope I am not hallucinating but within seconds Torchwatch's post has just been renumbered 5 and new member LeandroRangel has disappeared on all eight posts promoting alldvdsonline again. Well done Mike !
Old 10-13-2012, 01:04 AM

Default found....

Glenn Bishop and the Wrap:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ky...zanuo1_500.jpg
Old 10-13-2012, 07:55 PM

As I've said in other posts, my friends and I were often naked at my house during high school. Unlike the Dear Abby writer, however, my parents didn't have an issue with the nudity. We had an outdoor shower. My friends and I would cram in there together after soaking in the hot tub. It was never overtly sexual. There was an erection or two, but that was it.