Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2015, 02:41 AM

I've often said that apparel makers are being pressured behind the scene by some unknown forces not to offer any form of men's clothing that may be perceived as "Gay" including speedos, short shorts, and snug fitting jeans.

Market forces alone cannot account for the current monopolistic style of jammers and knee length shorts. Without any variety, the market cannot be used as an indicator of preference.

I have sent emails to a lot of retailers suggesting they offer the old style shorts and swim wear and they have responded favorably. Mysteriously however, the products have yet to materialize on store shelves and it's a case of the "Status Quo".
Old 03-24-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dolphin
I've often wondered if these stores actually tried selling speedos (or short shorts) in the first place.

I've asked some clerks if the store would consider offering something other than boardies or knee length shorts and their reply was something to the effect that there's no market for them.

This is convoluted reasoning because stores don't know what the market really is unless they offer the product in the first place. This is a case of "Captive Marketing".

For the past few years Macy's carried Speedos, plus a couple other brands in square cuts, briefs and thongs. I would always check out what they had and check occasionally until they were all marked 50% off. Last year the manager marked them down when they first came in based on previous year sales. Board shorts double as shorts or swim wear so guys like having something they can wear all the time He said once the speedo types were marked down swim team guys would by them or guys got them to wear under the boardies.
Since this discussion was on the board I asked the manager about the lack of speedos this year. He said since most stores didn't want to waste space on a slow moving item they left it to the Internet so corporate could buy less than stocking the stores. He said that so far I was the only person to ask for them. Since we are well into the swim season, swimwear is moving fast. It is a matter of economics based on history. If it doesn't sell, don't waste valuable floor space especially in areas where it is a seasonal item. the speedo market is pretty much dedicated to swimmers and gays. You can always find them in sporting goods stores (especially during swim season) and gay oriented stores. Many retail stores have shut down in favor of Internet stores saving them lots in retail space rent. ( years ago Undergear had 3 retails store in So.Cal that have all closed) I know I prefer my speedos but do see the popularity of the more versitle board short and why it sells so well. I have some and they make great shorts. They have pockets and are shorter than most of the shorts on the market. As long as you have one or two buyers deciding what everyone shopping at their chain of stores wants and not localized buying I don't see the tide changing. Thank God for Internet shopping!
Old 03-25-2015, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackk78
Sporting goods stores typically keep briefs in stock. The selection isn't huge, but places like Big 5, Sports Authority, and Dick's Sporting Goods usually have a rack of solid colored Speedo or Nike briefs.

I have looked in the above mentioned stores, and have also tried on what they carried in stock. I found nothing "skimpy" to my liking. I put them right back on the rack
Old 06-01-2015, 11:12 PM
Speedo Member

This is a constant source of frustration. I live near a number of shopping centers and Macy's, JC Penny and Sears carry no Speedos. Actually Macy's usually has a squarecut, but that's usually it. Even the Modell's sporting goods store near me only carries two Speedos: navy and black briefs, that's it.

There is a Century 21 nearby and they do have a lot of briefs there, but a lot of them are still a bit pricey even though they're designer brands that have been marked down 50%. I can't imagine that a $150 brief feels better than a $40 Speedo, right?
Old 06-02-2015, 01:59 PM

I have never gone out and purchased a $150 suit. $80 has been my all time high. I will tell you most of the time you do feel a difference in the material "softness". Expensive suits somehow better feel and sometimes seem like the material is thicker. The Ca Rio brand briefs are like this. Got one in Palm Springs, at a deal, and it is the heaviest (best way to describe fabric) brief I own. Intyman is another.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:14 PM

I was recently given a designer suit that retails for about $500. I will say that the fabric and construction is fantastic and the fit is perfect. I would pay extra for that quality and fit, but never that kind of money. I too think that $100 is a bit excessive. I'd rather have more suits than just one expensive one. I am guessing the cost has a lot to do with the designers name on it. Quality is nice, but it can be found for a lot less money. (I am a sale watcher too)
Old 06-02-2015, 04:30 PM
Speedo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDave
I was recently given a designer suit that retails for about $500. I will say that the fabric and construction is fantastic and the fit is perfect. I would pay extra for that quality and fit, but never that kind of money. I too think that $100 is a bit excessive. I'd rather have more suits than just one expensive one. I am guessing the cost has a lot to do with the designers name on it. Quality is nice, but it can be found for a lot less money. (I am a sale watcher too)

Exactly. Even Speedo brand briefs can be too expensive; there's a Speedo I've been eyeing (this one) and I think it's discontinued because I can only find it in my size for $50.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:07 AM

I still find it funny that in Socal none of the mainstream retailers have speedos in store. In a sporting goods store about any speedo runs $30-$45 which isnt bad but no variety... I will say the designer suits always fit better but I can get a pair of AC's for $20. You dont have to pay thru the nose to get designer
Old 06-03-2015, 06:44 AM

The mainstream stores will always say there is no demand for speedos, they may grudgingly stock a plain black speedo but one only needs one pair of plain black speedos at a time and will not return until they are worn out. The store whose brief swimwear display presents multiple colours and patterns plus different fits and designs will attract speedo fans like kids to a sweet shop. Imagine if sherbet lemons were the sweets you could buy ....
Old 06-03-2015, 02:06 PM

Default Not Swimwear, but at a mainstream store

Not Swimwear, but at a mainstream store

I know how you guys love stretch fabrics next to your skin of all sorts, and these are two new underwear items in the Wal mart stores, a sexy brief and a short-leg boxer, both with wide lelastic waist bands
The brief is in a dark navy, with neon green accents
Russell sport brief

http://www.walmart.com/ip/44659646?productRedirect=true

The square cut boxer in mostly neon green, tho you may find one in the navy too.
Russell sport short leg boxer brief

http://www.walmart.com/ip/44659249?productRedirect=true

I am using these for stationary rowing. I like the wide elastic waistband, which fits and feels like the waist band of a really good quality strap, and supports my back in rowing.

Somehow, I think the square cut looks and feels sexier, but it might be largely the color.

I also have a new rowing machine I am messing around with

I really like how the arms work on this one, which mimic a sculling motion

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stamina-Bo...Glider/4329712