Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Speedo Member

Default Testing the Waters

Being new to this board I decided my first post should relate to why I joined in the first place as well as gain some advice. Obviously this will all center around wearing speedos (I refer any bikini style swimwear as Speedos).
I've always had a preference to wearing Jockey bikinis beginning at a very early age. I found the bikinis to be far more comfortable and supportive than whitey-tighteys or any other underwear not to mention far more exciting. I even recruited a friend and a step-brother to toss aside their boring underwear for Jockeys. With that said one would assume that, being 28 now, I would have discovered the speedo long before now. Unfortunately, although I'd imagined what wearing a speedo at the pool would be like, I allowed the stereotypical BS to drown out thought of consideration.
It wasnt until last year that I bought my first Speedo however, I only bought it after realizing a new pair of trunks became very revealing when wet. But after a few trips to the pool I decided I had to try without the trunks. Shortly after, I tried swimming in my pool with a Speedo only and loved it.
A year later I still have yet to allow myself to be seen in a bikini even though I now own five different pair. It seriously has nothing to do with confidence as I would stroll down the center of town in a pair but has more to do with placing others in an uncomfortable situation. I live in a very conservative, but yet hypocritical, portion of the US. We allow our women to wear skimpy swimsuits that leave little for imagination and allow our teen boys to wear pants so large they fall down to their knees but get caught in a Speedo and you're automatically deemed gay, a pedifile or just nuts.
Like I mentioned, being seen in a speedo is not the problem. Just being seen in a speedo and not placed into any stereotypical category is. I guess you would call me a closet-speedo-wearer. I own my own pool and have many friends that come over and swim. Would it be acceptable to just walk outta the house in a speedo or should I continue to wear my board shorts when quests are around and only dorn the speedo when Im solo???
Old 07-27-2013, 11:52 AM

Default Welcome

Your last sentence - YES

You may initially shock them if they are always accustomed to your conservative appearance but you wear what YOU wish on your own premises
and you never know, you might might even make some converts in the speedo cause
if they give second thoughts to what they wear (which is what by the way?).

Also - any pics or descriptions to give here on your collection?
Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 PM

Default The cool thing to do is

walt to the edge of the pool wearing your board shorts. Then strip to your Speedos as you stand at the edge of the pool. Hop in the water in your Speedos. When you get out of the water,..dry your Speedo with a towel. THen put your board shorts back on, with everyone watching.

Your group will gradually get used to seeing you in Speedos that way, without being intimidated. Strike up a conversation about how much easier it is to swim in Speedos than in board shorts, and you will be all set. Some of your friends might eventually pick up on the idea as well...

This is way cool to do. it introduces the idea of Speedo wearing w/o being in your face for your guests.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:42 PM

Whenever you have a pool party at your place wear a pair of speedos under your shorts. Maybe start wearing shorter shorts as they are coming into fashion now. Some time the urge and the moment will come to strip off your shorts and reveal your speedos, it may be poolside or even in the water, ripping off your shorts and waving them in them air whilst shoulder deep in the pool can be exciting and raise a laugh from your friends. You can either then swim in the speedos or put the shorts back on depending on the reaction.
You are still the same you whatever you are wearing, if your friends cannot accept you in speedos it may be time to find new friends.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:08 AM
Speedo Member

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to just go with it next time friends are over. Not really sure exactly how Im gonna go about it but, minus the stereotype, speedos are far superior to trunks and I can articulate that we'll enough. Or at least at MY pool.
Someone asked about my inventory. Not a diverse collection by any means but I have one Andrew Christian low rise black and white with red stripping, a solid black pair of Speedos, two Desmiits, one blue and white and the other green and black (cross between a bikini and jammer), and a Desmiit low rise bikini blue and black.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:20 AM

Default go for it....

......and also "articulate" at any other pool you might be attending - not that you have to justify yourself but a calm response to an ignorant remark may be appropriate.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 AM

One alternative is to wear a "Square Cut" or "Trunks".

The latter are a water resistant version of short running shorts.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:35 AM

Default water resistance

Yes if running shorts are cotton but as so few are nowadays the effect on the man-made fibres in water is just about the same.

Maybe there are some terminological misconceptions here ? - Post #1
says "..............trunks became very revealing when wet".
That to me indicates their undesirability - but we do not know the fabric
as purchased there of course.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:03 AM
Speedo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron
Yes if running shorts are cotton but as so few are nowadays the effect on the man-made fibres in water is just about the same.

Maybe there are some terminological misconceptions here ? - Post #1
says "..............trunks became very revealing when wet".
That to me indicates their undesirability - but we do not know the fabric
as purchased there of course.

Revealing may not have been the best word to describe them but they were white boardshorts without a liner and any support. Basically like wearing a pair of loose boxers. Naturally that was way too much freedom and, still having my naive conservative state of mind, thought it better to buy a pair of speedos to wear underneath. Only once did I slip on a pair did I realize what Id been missing. The more I wore them the more I liked em. The rest is history
Old 07-30-2013, 09:59 PM

Default Just put them on and go....

[quote=Drenalin]Thanks for the advice. I've decided to just go with it next time friends are over. Not really sure exactly how Im gonna go about it but, minus the stereotype, speedos are far superior to trunks and I can articulate that we'll enough. Or at least at MY pool.
[quote]

It is cool that you have found Speedo type suits as cool. Don't get too worried or stressed out about wearing them. The easiest way is to just put them on and go out to the pool. Keep the shorts away, because if you wear them out over the suit you will either not take them off or may find it more awkward to come out in shorts only to pull them off. Just put on your swimsuit and head out the door! I have worn my brief suits since I was a kid and it was never a big deal. It is the only swimwear I wear. It's a swimsuit, right? I have never had an issue with people at any beach or pool with me wearing my swimsuits of choice. Once you get over the first time, it will be just your normal thing. Heck, if you have a really nice body, you might even get looks from the ladies or the guys. As for the whole gay thing about guys in smaller suits, I think we make that to be worse than it is. Again, I have never been called a name while wearing my swimwear at the beach, lake, pool, or even running on the beach. If someone is going to pre-suppose who you are by what swimsuit you have on it is their problem. My only advice to you is know where the line of appropriate is drawn. Briefs, even some with narrower sides, are generally okay at any beach or pool. Go less and you should keep those more private or restricted settings.

Have fun...