Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2014, 04:54 PM

Smile Interesting day at the Y

I went for my swim at the Y this morning as usual and asked one of the lifeguards something I had been wondering about. There are several guards who rotate, mostly young women in their late teens or early 20's, a couple older, and 2 guys who seem to be in their early 20's. The women wear either shorts or light sweatpants and t shirts while the guys wear shorts and t shirts.

The guy who was guarding today was wearing a tank top and dark blue cargo shorts that came above his knee and were fairly narrow. I asked him about the mode of dress for the guards and said that I had wondered whether the shorts or sweats would interfere with a rescue. He said that the aquatics dept has talked a lot about what guards should wear, taking into consideration that the pool deck and area tends to be fairly cool and that they had to balance safety with comfort for the guards. He also said that the guards had to demonstrate that they could make a rescue in what they wore.

As usual, I was wearing a brief, a Sporti, and I told him that I couldn't imagine swimming laps in shorts. He agreed, saying that some guys are uncomfortable in briefs and that he knows society frowns on speedos for men - basically the same conversation we've had in our posts on the subject. I asked him what he wore when he swam laps and he said that he wears a speedo. He actually is a very hot looking guy who I would love to see in his speedo.

Earlier when I had finished my laps and was just resting in the water, a young guy, maybe 25, in the next lane struck up a conversation. He was doing some work with buoys and a flutterboard to strengthen his arms and legs for rock climbing. He was wearing boardshorts. We talked for awhile and then I went into the locker room to shower. While I was dressing, he came out of the shower and said that he had been thinking of getting a "one of those suits" pointing to my Sporti to try while he did his water work. I told him the advantages of speedos and offered to lend him one of mine to try if he was at the pool when I was. He liked the idea. So, to make a long story short, there is some interest among young guys in wearing speedos - maybe they just have to be encouraged to try.

D67
Old 09-20-2014, 10:51 PM

That is interesting - and good the way you nudged the fellow swimmer toward trying Speedos!
Old 09-20-2014, 11:59 PM

Default A different situation...

A few years back (probably more than a few) at the pool I swim at, which is at a local college, I was swimming my laps. A really handsome college age guy wearing board shorts showed up and jumped in the lane next to me. Once he was in the water, he took off the shorts and tossed them on the edge of the pool. Under he had a print Speedo swimsuit. He swam a great workout, finishing up about the same time I finished. He stopped, grabbed the shorts, slipped them on in the water, then got out.

I saw him several times and he always did the same thing. I never had the courage to ask... wish I had. He was clearly a great swimmer, probably was on a team in high school before college. The college did not have a swim team.

STS
Old 09-21-2014, 12:25 AM

STS,

He probably didn't want any of his friends to know he wore Speedo briefs to swim laps.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimTeamSpeedo
A few years back (probably more than a few) at the pool I swim at, which is at a local college, I was swimming my laps. A really handsome college age guy wearing board shorts showed up and jumped in the lane next to me. Once he was in the water, he took off the shorts and tossed them on the edge of the pool. Under he had a print Speedo swimsuit. He swam a great workout, finishing up about the same time I finished. He stopped, grabbed the shorts, slipped them on in the water, then got out.

I saw him several times and he always did the same thing. I never had the courage to ask... wish I had. He was clearly a great swimmer, probably was on a team in high school before college. The college did not have a swim team.

STS

This is the psychologist in me talking. I think that it's such a sad commentary on that young man's sense of self confidence and maybe even body image. It wasn't the issue of wearing a speedo or not wearing one; rather it was an issue of not being secure enough to come to the pool in the speedo and just do his workout. One has to hope for his sake that he became more confident as he got older.

D67
Old 09-21-2014, 09:49 AM

At the pool yesterday I noticed a young lad in board shorts climb out of the pool, but his shorts had slipped down to show a lot of his bottom. Isn't that more embarrassing than exposing your upper leg?
Old 09-21-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley67
This is the psychologist in me talking. I think that it's such a sad commentary on that young man's sense of self confidence and maybe even body image. It wasn't the issue of wearing a speedo or not wearing one; rather it was an issue of not being secure enough to come to the pool in the speedo and just do his workout. One has to hope for his sake that he became more confident as he got older.

D67
I normally enter the pool at the nearest point to the changing rooms, but yesterday some kid was sitting on the steps. So I walked to the middle entrance, but that was similarly blocked, so I ended up walking the full length of the pool before entering. It actually didn't feel bad at all, so I think I must be more confident than I used to be.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:22 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley67
I went for my swim at the Y this morning as usual and asked one of the lifeguards something I had been wondering about. There are several guards who rotate, mostly young women in their late teens or early 20's, a couple older, and 2 guys who seem to be in their early 20's. The women wear either shorts or light sweatpants and t shirts while the guys wear shorts and t shirts.

The guy who was guarding today was wearing a tank top and dark blue cargo shorts that came above his knee and were fairly narrow. I asked him about the mode of dress for the guards and said that I had wondered whether the shorts or sweats would interfere with a rescue. He said that the aquatics dept has talked a lot about what guards should wear, taking into consideration that the pool deck and area tends to be fairly cool and that they had to balance safety with comfort for the guards. He also said that the guards had to demonstrate that they could make a rescue in what they wore.

As usual, I was wearing a brief, a Sporti, and I told him that I couldn't imagine swimming laps in shorts. He agreed, saying that some guys are uncomfortable in briefs and that he knows society frowns on speedos for men - basically the same conversation we've had in our posts on the subject. I asked him what he wore when he swam laps and he said that he wears a speedo. He actually is a very hot looking guy who I would love to see in his speedo.

Earlier when I had finished my laps and was just resting in the water, a young guy, maybe 25, in the next lane struck up a conversation. He was doing some work with buoys and a flutterboard to strengthen his arms and legs for rock climbing. He was wearing boardshorts. We talked for awhile and then I went into the locker room to shower. While I was dressing, he came out of the shower and said that he had been thinking of getting a "one of those suits" pointing to my Sporti to try while he did his water work. I told him the advantages of speedos and offered to lend him one of mine to try if he was at the pool when I was. He liked the idea. So, to make a long story short, there is some interest among young guys in wearing speedos - maybe they just have to be encouraged to try.

D67

Here's a follow up about the young man wanting to try a speedo. He's been back at the Y the last 3 or 4 days, talking to me about his efforts to lead a healthy lifestyle. He sounds like he's doing well with it. I asked him if he was still interested in trying out a speedo. He was, so I gave him my turquoise size 32 Speedo Solar which I have never really liked, have worn it just a few times, and is too big for me now. He asked me if I was giving it to him or letting him borrow it. I replied, "it's yours, hope you like it." I hope he will try it out and like the feel of it in the water and feel the difference between a sleek suit and the long boardies that he was wearing that create a lot of drag.

D67