Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > Story Center
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2013, 04:26 AM

Default Senior Day.... the final season

“Do you realize we were just 8 years old when we met at YMCA swim camp?” Zach said one morning as we walked to swim practice. It was our last year, we were the Seniors of the team and the season was in its twilight. It had not really hit me that our swimming career was rapidly coming to a close. Thinking back, I guess it was really hitting Zach. I think most of the time, I was still half asleep on our walks over. One thing about swim practice is that you can be as tired as you want, but once you hit that water your really only have two choices. The wrong one will ruin your day.

“What makes you think of this stuff?” I replied to Zach.

“Don’t know,” he replied, “just saying.”

We were not mad or anything, but we walked in silence the rest of the way. Thinking back, I probably hurt Zach’s feelings a bit. It was a tough time, and he was there ahead of me. It was going to hit me soon, but on this morning I was the jerk. The close of a very important part of our life, the foundation of what formed our friendship, was about to happen. Zach knew it was going to be hard. In my heart, so did I.

Our final season had not gone quite as well as any of us had hoped. We were squarely middle of the conference going into the final weeks of the season. We lost some really good talent the prior year, and Zach and I, and one other senior were just not enough to keep us in the front of the standings. The younger guys were making huge progress, and we were, as a team, stronger now than ever. We pulled off a good couple of meets the last few out, even edging the top team in a huge upset in the last meet . A surprising fast swim in the IM from one of our freshman guys shocked the swimming world, well at least our swimming world. It also threw us narrowly over the top. That same freshman also nearly broke a team record I set. In due time he would, the reins of the team were starting to pass to the youngsters behind us.

Zach was quiet after practice in the locker room. No jokes. No talks while hanging out in our suits. Nothing. Zach skipped breakfast and we both went on to our classes. We did not have afternoon practice, so Zach and I reconnected at our dorm after classes were done. Zach grabbed his books and said he had to study and went off to the library.

I was perplexed. Something was wrong and it seemed huge. I knew in my heart that our friendship was fine, but Zach was struggling with something. When he skipped dinner, I was sure it was bad.

“Zachary, I was a real jerk this morning,” I said that night as we laid in bed. “I feel really bad.” I called him Zachary when I was being serious. It was a secret code between us.

“It is just hard,” he replied. “There is no swimming after college, I mean not like now.”

“I guess I had not thought about that,” I answered. “We got to stay focused an enjoy the moment. We got a few more meets left and then the championships. I have no plans to let up now.”

“Me either, Rye,” Zach replied. There was long silence. Our eyes met as I looked at Zach. “I guess it is all starting to hit me,” Zach’s voice cracked.

For the first time in a long time the most awesome guy in my life started to cry. Not a loud outward cry, more of the streaming tears, wet eyes and sniffles, but emotion nonetheless. I was frozen in what I saw. My best friend in the whole world was clearly really upset. I went over and silently sat next to him. I wrapped my arm around his shoulder and we held each other. Zach pulled me into a hug and we embraced into both arms, Zach’s head on my shoulder. Zach’s tears flowed.

“I thought I could handle this, “ Zach whispered between sniffles. Growing up was tough and my best friend was both sad and frightened.

“It is going to be just fine,” I whispered back. “Nothing will come between us.”

Zach shook with emotion in my arms. Tears welled up in both of us. Minutes passed as we held our friendship tightly in the grasp of our arms. The salt of Zach’s tears melted onto my shoulder.

“We gotta kick some ass,” Zach finally whispered back, “We gotta go out strong,”

The beginning....