Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lap Counter
Before you wear your nicest Speedo to the hot tub or sauna, take time to think about the damage the heat will render to the Lycra fabric.

I generally only wear poly blend suits (Speedo's Endurance, TYR's Durafast, etc.) in the sauna. They aren't as affected by the heat. I save the suits containing lycra for swimming.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbie
Why is this even an issue?...I've worn a nice neon yellow thong in Hotel hot tubs, co-ed as all get out.

Having said that, there are different unwritten "rules" about acceptable attire depending on where you are at. I was in a hot tub in San Dioego CA. BUT I would probably think twice before wearing the little neon thong in a not-so-urban locale in a Southern Bible Belt State. But a 3" blue Speedo should be fine anywhere. In San Diego, the yellow thong didn't even get a second glance...just normal and quite acceptable hot tub attire.

As I understand it, at private homes, most hot tub parties in California are completely clothing optional, and most everyone will be in a hot tub--men and women completely nude. But on the east coast, everyone at a private hot tub party wears a suit, perhaps a big(ger) suit. What happens at public facilities in each case is just an extension of what happens in hot tub parties at private homes, and in San Diego the thong ends up being the "modest" choice...what is considered a modest dress at one geographic location is perhaps seen as revealing and unmodest at another..

Bottom line: if you are concerned about modesty in this situation wear a 3" classic blue Speedo and you should be fine.

I wish people everywhere were comfortable in their own skins, but that is not the case.

Sebbie

I do wish it wasn't an issue. But, as you point out, there's a difference between what's acceptable in private and public. I'd be happy going nude, but one must respect others modesty. While I think a thong would make people uncomfortable, a classic speedo should be acceptable. I doubt it would be a cause of concern for anyone, although, sometimes I prefer to blend in.

My parents got a hot tub when my sister and I were teenagers. I can't recall seeing anyone wearing a suit while using it, though they were far more modest while we were growing up. That all changed after a family trip to Spain, which was the first time I wore a bikini swimsuit, but that's a story for another time. During high school when we had guests over for dinner, it was common practice to end the evening with a soak. Most of my parents' friends grew up in the 60's and didn't have any problem getting naked. We'd strip on the deck like it was the most normal thing in the world. When my friends were over my parents would always make sure their parent's were okay with us being nude. Most were, and would sometimes stay for the evening and join in themselves, but a few had a problem with it. We were always respectful of other people's sensibilities. People shouldn't be forced to do things that make them uncomfortable. At first, I think my friends just wanted to see my mom and sister naked. They were erect as soon as they dropped their pants, but it didn't bother us. Eventually, the got used to it. My family still spends time together naked in the hot tub (and just about everywhere else in the house) when we get together. It would be nice if everyone could be as comfortable with their bodies, but I think the puritanical ideals will continue to pervade in the US.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:26 PM

Default to wear or not to.....

Good to read your interesting post Jackk. I picked up on "other people's sensitivities" in terms of minimal coverage and/or nudity and can only conclude that you enjoyed a very civilised upbringing ( and more of such it would be nice to see).
You were also bold enough to refer to a continuing pervasive puritanism in the US and not (so far) be accused of US-bashing. Well done!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron
Good to read your interesting post Jackk. I picked up on "other people's sensitivities" in terms of minimal coverage and/or nudity and can only conclude that you enjoyed a very civilised upbringing ( and more of such it would be nice to see).
You were also bold enough to refer to a continuing pervasive puritanism in the US and not (so far) be accused of US-bashing. Well done!

We exist at a pretty good time in human history, and the US is a good place to live. I've visited lots of places, and don't have a desire to live anywhere else. Being overly modest isn't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Barriers are starting to come down. Korean spas seem to be popping up everywhere, and they require patrons to be nude. Most of the spas in Vegas are clothing optional too.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:47 AM

Speedos are a lot more fun than total nudity....anyone else feel the same?

Sebbie
Old 06-29-2012, 07:33 PM

Default yummy

Yes, if they look like this:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly...nfpo1_1280.jpg

A most interesting abstract design on this blue speedo - I do not understand it and manufacturer unknown - but one aspect stands out and I have never before seen a suit bearing the insignia of the USAF.
(as a wild guess they maybe have a water polo team somewhere?)
Old 06-30-2012, 01:03 AM

[quote=jackk78]We exist at a pretty good time in human history, and the US is a good place to live. I've visited lots of places, and don't have a desire to live anywhere else.

Byron... far cry from the crap you posted about the US. I didn't blast u about posting anti US... posting anti any country does not belong here is really what I said. Why is that so hard for u to get?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbie
Speedos are a lot more fun than total nudity....anyone else feel the same?

Sebbie
When it comes to hot tubs or sauna, I prefer nude.

On the beach or at the pool, I definitely prefer a bikini.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:34 PM

Default Re. crap (post #17)

Another tiresome post but I will make a further effort despite the full explanation I have already given in post of 06-25-2012 (which may be confusing you as we are having exchanges between two threads here).

Clearly Louis also cannot understand what's going on and has found it necessary to produce a long explanation to restate that his thread is about the compulsion to buy for one's collection when an attractive new suit appears online.

The letters US appear via me because we have, by some strange line of thought , been introduced in this thread to an American basketball player who is a star.
He is Chris and is likely to be disappointed by a very short marriage to another star called Kim because he was fooled into expecting fun sex which we are left to assume did not materialise. It appears that Louis is also expected to know that this story is an author's paradigm in relation to the speedo obsession he refers to at the start.

Having no knowledge of these stars I made an enquiry and received a reply - itself confusing by not knowing whether a Chris or a Kris was the basketball player concerned. Myself and the rest of the world (which I suspect has never heard of these people) are now better informed.
In the meantime of course my comment on irrelevant posts has produced some suggestions as to xenophobia and I have read:

"..faults on both sides" (whatever precisely what are the "sides" in this statement)
"..waving of the rules"
(where I think the spelling should be "waiving") (and where I should also add that my quotation should have said "price" and not "cost" to be correct)
"..a sweeping generalisation" (where I have to point out that any opinion has to be a "generalisation" if the writer does not personally know 260 million citizens)
"..US bashing" (for which it now appears that the words should be "any-country bashing")
"..I sure do see a lot of anti US crap spewed by others" (no examples supplied)
"..how does a view of a nation relate to swimwear?" (to which I reply it doesn't - and neither does the failed marriage of a basketball player).
An interesting question that - I see no protests about unacceptable national stereotyping when the proclivities of Europeans for speedos and Americans for boardshorts are and have long been freely (and often inaccurately) discussed and criticised here and on other web forums.

My final comment is "storm in a teacup" but if national pride is so easily hurt by a ".. rather bold statement on all Americans" I am happy herewith to add an ameliorating word, viz "media" behind "US" , in order to restore mutual understanding.

PS: I will also take this opportunity to point out (gently, not boldly) to Jackk that his somewhat insular views on "this happy current world" are not likely to be shared by millions of children who wonder whether their parents will find enough food to give them a meal tonight.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:18 AM

I've worn a few 2" and 3" endurance solid Speedos around the spa without any comments thus far. It definately feels better than wearing a soggy pair of shorts.