Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2014, 08:55 PM

appropriate would most likely be anything that isn't too revealing. In some gym pools I have seen guys swim nude or in jock straps. I have also seen guys wearing nylon jogging shorts that turn transparent when wet. Those are not appropriate when in mixed company.
Of course, this may be a radical concept but, why not ask?
Old 12-21-2014, 09:41 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede735
Would 'inappropriate' also mean swim pants below the knee, as they are now disallowed by FINA?

In Maine phraseology, "wicked ugly" might be a better way to describe swim pants below the knee...lol

D67
Old 12-22-2014, 02:17 AM
Speedo Member

Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I'm definitely going to ask the next time I go to the gym. I was kind of hesitant before because I feel like here in the U.S. people expect others to know what "appropriate" swimwear is without saying . If I ask, they might think, "Wow, does this guy have no idea what inappropriate swimwear is? Is he planning on wearing some thong or transparent brief?" I don't want them to think I'm planning on wearing something overly revealing in order to to stir up trouble.

50 Free, I realize that FINA and all the other governing boards allow brief style swimwear, but they've banned suits that are far from "inappropriate". Like Bede735 said, they banned the LZR suit even though it covers most of the body. I realize brief style swimsuits don't constitute "technological doping" like the LZR supposedly does.

Point being, an individual gym swim facility isn't necessarily going to have the same regulations as FINA.

I'll tell you guys their answer when I get back from my next workout
Old 12-22-2014, 12:34 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanHunk
Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I'm definitely going to ask the next time I go to the gym. I was kind of hesitant before because I feel like here in the U.S. people expect others to know what "appropriate" swimwear is without saying . If I ask, they might think, "Wow, does this guy have no idea what inappropriate swimwear is? Is he planning on wearing some thong or transparent brief?" I don't want them to think I'm planning on wearing something overly revealing in order to to stir up trouble.

50 Free, I realize that FINA and all the other governing boards allow brief style swimwear, but they've banned suits that are far from "inappropriate". Like Bede735 said, they banned the LZR suit even though it covers most of the body. I realize brief style swimsuits don't constitute "technological doping" like the LZR supposedly does.

Point being, an individual gym swim facility isn't necessarily going to have the same regulations as FINA.

I'll tell you guys their answer when I get back from my next workout

LeanHunk,

My advice to you is to just wear a brief that is no less than 2" and just go and start swimming - that will mean that, as a swimmer, you know what's appropriate swimwear. I don't think that you should even ask.

D67

Last edited by Dooley67 : 12-22-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:43 PM

I am with D67. Put aside all the US crap, the US is not as awful as you make it sound. A Speedo swim brief is the accepted standard of lap swimmers everywhere.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:24 PM

As I have said on numerous occasions, this board is riddled with insecurity. This poor dude has read a problem into a sign that early states the obvious. You are not swimming in an all male pool so wear something that is appropriate for mixed company. At last check, that includes just about any swimsuit. Being so insecure he has to ask us cuz he hasn't the balls to ask management what is meant by the sign.
As usual, it is lets bash the U.S. and their attitudes about swimwear. Again, you can't take a nation of varied attitudes and lump them up as all having one attitude. Generally, it is the person saying the US males are too shy to wear a speedo when it is actually the person writing that is too insecure to wear what he wants. I have traveled all over the US and always worn a 2" black Speedo. Never have I had a comment or been told I am inappropriate. Don't blame the US preference for the more practical board shorts for your own insecurity about wearing what you want to wear.

PS before you all jump up and say that you hate board shorts, remember you are being as judgmental about them as you say they are being about your speedos.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:27 PM
Speedo Member

Cool Maybe a good experiment idea?

Hey guys. I didn't mean to generalize about the entire U.S., nor do I have anything against people who prefer board shorts. I myself wear board shorts whenever I go to the beach. However, you have to admit that in general there is a bit of a negative attitude towards brief-style swimwear here, at least on the beaches.

Anyway, last night I decided it isn't necessary to ask management. They have a lap pool, swimmers wear briefs at lap pools, so that was what I was going to wear to their lap pool.

By the way, these are the trunks I wore:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE3NlgxMT..._id=880000500F

The sides are about 1.6". Definitely less than 2", but not so revealing as the 1". Bottom line, they're great for laps.

The result? Aside from a few brief stares, no one in the locker room or pool reacted at all. There were at least three other guys in the locker room and eight people in the pool area, two of the latter being management staff. Not one person said anything.

I wonder if other guys will start wearing brief style swimwear? Will keep you guys updated

Last edited by LeanHunk : 12-22-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:54 PM

Nice briefs.

Out of curiosity, does inappropriate swimwear also apply to women? Personally I don't have a problem if they wear very little.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:25 PM
Speedo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede735
Nice briefs.

Out of curiosity, does inappropriate swimwear also apply to women? Personally I don't have a problem if they wear very little.

The less the better
Old 12-23-2014, 12:50 AM

Thumbs up

Good for you, LeanHunk and nice choice for the swim briefs. And as for women and inappropriate swimwear, I agree with you and Bede.

D67