Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2015, 05:40 AM

Default In college, and really wishing to wear a speedo and swim. There's no team though :(

Hi! BriefBro here! I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself!

I'm in my third year at a junior college and there's no swim team available here so I have almost no outlet to go about wearing a swim brief and owning it. I look back to my high school days, and I was way too shy and way too unfit to bother joining the swim team. Everyone that tried out was admitted to the team, honestly, and almost everyone came out of swim season with a new, fitter body. It's my biggest regret from high school. If I joined I would have had the perfect foundation. If I did I would have lost so much weight and got so much more muscle.

However, I'm not all that unfit. I could lose like 20 pounds and gain like 10 in muscle, but I have a lot of work to do. I've even gained weigh in the last year. I was never really active when I was a teen. There is a local pool, that charges about $6 for a day. (California prices, go figure.) but I feel like it's not really a welcoming place. This area is also somewhat conservative. I did take a swim class there as an elective, but I only ever wore jammers. I really enjoyed it, honestly. When I swim I just forget about things and enjoy the sport. I did get frustrated at first at how unfit I felt but after several weeks I was able to swim a mile without stopping.

I'm just feeling a bit frustrated over it all. I'm over feeling so bad; I'll just take a dive and go back to that pool tomorrow. I'm not totally sure how a swim workout is like, but I'll learn. I have a pair of swim briefs: a 1 in side Speedo Solar Briefs. I know, the most revealing one, but I'll just relax with those for now and stick with jammers for now. I plan on eventually buying a 2 in or 3 in pair and swimming in those at an indoor pool. But that's for the future
Old 06-08-2015, 06:17 AM

Get yourself some more briefs already ;P swimoutlet is where i get a ton.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:42 AM

I agree you should get some speedos anyway, you can wear them around the house, under your shorts at the rather conservative pool you can get to (until you have the confidence to whip the shorts off).

If you want to get fit and wear Lycra then get a bike and some Lycra cycle shorts. Riding in cycle clothing is a commitment and will make you ride that bit faster. There are many cheap yet acceptable quality cycle jerseys and shorts on Ebay and Amazon. It is your preference whether to get a mountain bike or a racer.

Of course once you have a bike you can head for that quiet stretch of beach, lake or river that you have heard rumour of as a place where guys swim in speedos or less.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:11 PM

I am with the others. Just get a nice pair of swim briefs, Speedo or other brand. Not a solar, but a more traditional cut. You can get them on line or at any major sports store. Wear the new briefs to the pool, especially to a lap pool. You will fit right in. As for the work out, do what you can and don't get frustrated. We all started at some time and as a experienced swimmer I love giving new swimmers help, most of us are very open to giving tips. You are getting too worked up over everything. So you are a little out of shape, most of the folks who wear brief swimsuits are not the Adonis with six pack abs and a 3% body fat ratio. Keep up the swimming and you will soon find you not only swim great, but you will look and feel hot. And who knows, your future soul mate might be that cute guy or gal in the next lane!

Welcome to the board and the pool!

STS
Old 06-08-2015, 12:36 PM

Smile

BriefBro,

I agree with the others. Take a look at the true story I wrote last August 14, How I Met My Serious Swimming. It describes my journey to becoming a serious swimmer. I started out barely able to do a lap as you'll read. I got help from STS, Turbofan, and Swimmboy in learning how to do the workout and how to choose a swim brief. And I've been swimming seriously now for a full year.

Start out doing a lap or two, rest, then continue with a few more laps. Gradually, you will be able to build up your endurance. STS advised me to stay in the pool for 45 minutes, resting how ever many times you need to and for as much time as you need. You'll find that your resting time will shorten and you'll need fewer rest stops. Above all, don't get frustrated. And get a brief that fits well and that you feel comfortable wearing. Remember, it's absolutely natural to wear a swim brief when swimming laps, and no one will even bat an eyelash. Good luck!

Dooley67
Old 06-09-2015, 02:20 AM

I've given this answer before.

If you believe a speedo would be too extreme, just wear 1960s style "trunks" (about 2/3 up from the knees and looser fitting) to the community pool.

Short shorts are coming back (at least here in San Francisco) so you might go out running or casually wearing them in public places like shopping.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:20 PM

It's all about just making that initial step and keeping at it consistently
Old 06-14-2015, 02:23 PM

Your initial swim workouts should be simply swimming lengths of the pool as many as you can without stopping. Touch and turn then carry on.
If you have to stop and have a rest then the count starts again at zero.
Build up over a period of time until you can swim a mile (1500m anyway), your pool should be 25m or 50m in length so it is easy to work out distances.

After you have completed your long swim work on style, use kick boards if you can, watch coaching videos to get an idea of what you are working towards.

Try a few single fast lengths if there is time, then a gentle swim warm down.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:48 AM

I started swimming nine years ago. I didn't swim in high school --no swim team and so never thought I could swim in college. I started by taking swim lessons at the local YMCA and watching swim videos online.

I too always wanted to wear speedos but at first was too embarrassed and self-conscious. I was never overweight --6'3" and around 210, by I did yo-yo a bit and at my heaviest was 222. It was at that point that I started swimming.

I first wore jammers, then Moved to Lycra trunks (mid thigh), and then eventually to swim briefs. Even with the swim briefs, my suits evolved as I got more fit.

I'm now 182#, lean and toned with a "swimmers V" and I generally wear the TYR 2" side suits or the Turbo water polo suits. I am more confident and have the attitude that "I'm a swimmer and swimmers wear swim briefs."

Start out doing a length in the pool (25 yds) with a goal of doing 10 lengths in a workout. Use the kick board; look into proper use of a pull buoy. Then, as your form and endurance improve, increase to doing a lap and keep building up. Seriously though, take swimming classes to learn proper form --that will serve you the best --learn good habits, practice good habits.

When you swim well, you will feel better, be in better shape, and be able to confidently wear any suit you want because you will be a SWIMMER! Good luck!
Old 06-19-2015, 11:19 AM

Once you can do those first 10 lengths non stop then start noticing who else is swimming. Try to swim alongside someone a little better than yourself, when they try to overtake you hang on to them as long as possible before you relax and continue at your own pace. Once you can not only hang onto them but start dropping them it is time to find a better swimmer to swim alongside. Once you have burned off your first decent swimmer you've earned the right to wear speedos. Once you're one of the best swimmers in the pool then you've earned the right to wear brightly coloured or print speedos and you'll notice other guys starting to wear speedos.

One local swimming club used to make new swimmers wear yellow swim caps, once the swimmers were good enough for the club to enter them in races they were given blue club swim caps. earning a blue club swim cap became important.

Last edited by Torchwatch : 06-19-2015 at 11:23 AM.