Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 05:48 PM

Default The reason Speedos are stigmatised

I've noticed an absence of girls wearing bikinis at my local pool for several weeks now. My theory is that bikinis aren't really for swimming - they're for posing in. If women want to swim they wear one-piece swimsuits.

So a place where bikinis are prevalent e.g. a beach, is a place to pose in. And that's where the problem lies. If a man wears a pair of briefs at the beach he is posing, and that's just not the done thing. Far better to wear a pair of long shorts so as not to flaunt yourself.

Conversely, briefs aren't (or shouldn't be) a problem at a swimming pool because it is a place for the purpose of swimming.

In conclusion, I think clothes/sports shops should adopt a two tier strategy. One section should just be for swim briefs and headed FOR SWIMMING ONLY, while the other section selling (swim)shorts should be headed FOR POSING ONLY.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:01 PM

Hotel resort pools however, are an in-between area. Simultaneously used for both swimming and posing in, which is why there are more bikini-clad women present.

A man can still swim in his speedos though, but on the strict understanding that shorts should be worn over his speedos for any time spent out of the pool. I realise I'm getting silly now, but maybe because the 'problem' actually is?
Old 06-04-2014, 09:46 PM

Smile

I believe you may be overthinking the whole issue Bede. If you are wearing a speedo or bikini at the beach, wear it in and out of the water; if at a resort pool, do the same. I don't think you need to put shorts on over the speedo when out of the water. Whenever I'm either at the beach or at a hotel resort pool, the only time I'll put on my shorts is if I'm going to buy something and need a pocket for my cash or credit card, or if I'm going into the hotel. I really don't think you need to change what you do just because you choose to wear a speedo. Do what you want, what makes you feel comfortable, all the while being respectful of others.

D67
Old 06-05-2014, 01:52 AM

Default an additional thought

I suspect girls don't wear bikinis swimming because of exactly what you are saying Bede... however, for guys I think it is simply that they don't like them. Maybe it is the tight fit, maybe it is that they hate that they show their equipment so clearly, maybe they just think people will think they are gay (not sure why that would be an issue..lol) Having said that, why do we care. I not more want to have someone tell me what swimsuit to wear than I would want to tell some guy who prefers board shorts that he should wear something else. Choice and variety is nice. I like the diversity of swimsuits. I am with D67, I will wear my swimsuits and be just fine doing so. And the rest of the guys are just fine with whatever they pick out.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:12 AM

Actually I find it is more that women don't speedos them for a plethora of reasons (most of them pretty petty or bad). Girls wear bikinis specifically for posing. Functional bikinis are far and few. Shorts too are for posing but women won't admit that. In fact many women love to see men in speedos (given they are fit) but they dont want the attention off of them or they think they are too feminine (bikiniesque). Look at much of mens current fashion (not just swim) and it is impractical for activity or work but women love it and it evokes the "look" of work more than the practicality of it. It is like the FAA Air traffic controller I knew who had to wear a business suit to work for a few weeks just because they wanted the department to look more professional while they renegotiated the contract with the fed. The additional discomfort did nothing to help the task of directing and managing regional air traffic.

Additionally the media is directed towards women for the most part and if they can poke fun at men or put them down for not conforming, they will.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:51 AM

This is a case of an "Islamist" attitude creeping its way into America (and other countries) and men wearing shorts that expose their upper legs has become a taboo.

I often refer to today's men's down-to-the knee shorts and swim suits as a "Male Burqua" or "Leg Veils".

It's rather frightening how public opinion can be manipulated.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:36 PM

I agree with you CD only up to a point. The media is able to manipulate public opinion very effectively. However, if we buy into that with regard to the covering of our bodies when truly, deep down, we don't want to wear long boardshorts and we really want to wear that speedo, then we have only ourselves to blame if we don't exercise our real preference.

D67
Old 06-05-2014, 03:28 PM

l agree the media have shamed men into wearing boardshorts/baggy shorts to be modest.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:08 PM

At my local gym, I see a few mostly older guys-like me, I guess, wearing speedo styles and have seen a few women in bikinis though. In the Uk people are so conservative when it comes to showing of their bodies so seeing a woman in a bikini is rare at the pool. I was at a hotel spa in England a couple of years ago while on business and wore a very brief black bikini style made by Kiniki, Andre model. I was surprised that no-one really bothered with me or stared. Again on business, this time in Romania, I wore a string side navy bikini to the hotel pool and again no-one minded. I think the eastern europeans are still very open minded about all this as I've seen photos on flickr of russian and black sea beaches with guys in very brief speedo styles.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:17 PM

Default media influence

When it comes to the meeja and the fashion industry I am never sure who needs who - but feeding off each other to keep a non-subject under discussion for reasons of circulation and sales no doubt explains a lot (as it always does with profits to be made).
I do not read east European newspapers but I cannot envisage that any journalist
there would even think speedos and/or bikinis to be worth an article to engage their readers.

Last edited by Byron : 06-06-2014 at 01:11 AM.