Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2015, 04:46 PM

Default Make your own suit

I thought this was an interesting video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emHKGKQHJzw
Old 05-23-2015, 01:46 AM

I tried to make my own suits a few years ago...with the differences in stretch based on the quality of material, it's hard to get a good pattern going.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:51 AM

Default make your.......

To much trouble easyer to buy them lol
Old 05-23-2015, 05:37 AM

Well I hope my next attempt is better than my last one... Interesting video.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:57 AM

Default My plan

My plan is to take some old suits with rips or tears and see if I can make repairs on them. I already did a couple and the repairs turned out good enough to make the suits wearable again. But these were typically small rips near the waistband.

Next up, I might try cutting an old stretched-out suit along the original seams, and then sew it back together into a smaller, but better-fitting size. Maybe I will try running a long butt-seam to snug it up too.

The lady in the video has some interesting ideas on how to sew elastic and get it to come out even using the "dot" method.

I've snugged up stretched-out jock-strap straps with some success by simply cutting them completely in two in the middle and overlapping them an inch or two and running several stitches in the overlapped area. I've been repairing holes in compression tees and shorts by simply folding along the hole on the reverse side of the item and running a long stitch just inside of the hole. You get a dart on the outside where the hole was and the garment is quite serviceable again., I've been repairing holes in the toes and heels of athletic socks the same way.

Basically I have nothing to lose with these experiments and I might get something back that is wearable again.

Always fun to see how the revamped product fits and looks.

Sebbie
Old 05-23-2015, 03:22 PM

Default ok I tried....

I tried taking the bagginess out of the rear of an an old stretched out suit.

Basically this involves creating a rear seam that divides the butt cheeks in a suit that has none. This seam starts at the waistband middle rear (where the tag is just below the elastic, folding over the suit and sewing from the inside of the suit and then goes more concave as you get toward the middle of the rear. I went a couple inches inward at the widest point, then narrower going bact to nothing and ending the seam as you approach the perineum area where the front attaches to the back.

I have a stretch stitch on my machine that is made to use on stretch favrics like Lycra. I kept breaking the thread. The stretch stitch requires that the feed alternate between forward and backward but it leaves essentially a triple- stitch seam, which is nice.

After you get the concave area sewed in, just cut out the fabric outside the stitch. The edges should be serged to prevent unraveling, but I haven't tried that. or I could just run a zig-zag stitch along the cut edge but for the time being it is fine and the fabric is not unraveling.

This is not a perfect fit, and I could take slack out of the suit in other places, possibly even put in a front seam. This suit is rather roomy in front but that is fine especially for sleeping. it certainly looks and feels better than it did. This technique would work for any old suit that seems to have gotten overly loose in the butt. How much you sew out with the concave seam depends on how baggy the suit has gotten.

I also added a new shoe string tie string which was missing entirely from this suit, using the safety pin stunt as shown in the video. I quickly discovered that 40" string is not long enough to tie, so I knotted on a 54 inch string and ended up adding about 6 inches additional from the 40 inch string. If you want a string long enough to drop down loose below your ball level, 60 inches works.

Next up to try: I have some old swim thongs that have gotten all stretched out.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:06 PM

Default Ok, I...

I tried repairing another brief suit that was not in as bad a shape as the first one, I cut a chunk out of the rear with a center seam, and then cinched it up a bit by taking a tuck in the perineum area and cutting out a couple inches of leftover cloth. The combination of the two adjustments cinches everything up a bit. I am wearing the suit now and can feel it pushing up a little in the perineum area, and, interestingly, I can also feel the butt seam pushing inward, much like a thong. This is a better fit all around than the first one I tried.

Next up, I tried repairing a swim thong from the same material and from the same company as the brief, above. This has no space for a string tie and the waist elastic was completely stretched out. I knew several inches had to come out of the waistband. I started out by cutting each side and doing an overlap seam to reconnect. My first attempt and I had one side inside out. I finally cut out the overlaps, straightened out the mismatch problem, and just did a zig zag stitch to hold the butt edges together. That worked tho I didn't get the edges perfectly even...

The next step was to take excess fabric out of the pouch. I did that with the same type of stretch seam I used on the butts of the briefs, but followed the original pouch shape except maybe an inch or so inside. Thus I ended up with a new center front seam and a smaller, not as stretched out, pouch.

Finally, the thong needed to fit way snugger in the perineum area. That will also pull the rear strap more tightly between the butt cheeks and in general make look and feel better. So I cut a couple inches out of where the front is attached to the back, the front now being narrower than before because of the pouch seam.

I made all these adjustments without trying the thong on as I worked. I was worried that I may have made the waistband too small, but when I tried on the finished product, the revamped waistband turned out to be a perfect fit. The pouch seems right-sized, and best of all, the thong back cinches up between my butt cheeks very snugly, with some of that really nice-feeling upward pressure on the perineum as well. My sewing flubs here and there aren't really noticeable once it is on.

How did I do on remaking the stretched out the thong? Well as soon as I got into it I started precumming profusely, so my body says the sewing work must be at least OK :-) .

I'm wearing the last brief I did right now. I really like how the butt-seam I made makes it feel much like I am just wearing a thong. I need to do my rowing and cycling for the day, and I will see how it goes.

Sebbie
Old 05-24-2015, 10:11 PM

Default I modded the thong a little

I decided that the waistband would look better if I instead of overlapping the waistband to shorten it I could butt join it. That worked pretty well.

Then I got this idea to improve the joining in the perineum area as well using a butt joint of the front and back of the thong. I cut out my old sewing and got it all sewed back together. Then I discovered I had twisted it and part had an inside out, so all my new sewing work had to go. Keep in mind that each time I cut the stitching out, the thong strap gets shorter by a quarter inch or so. So in the process of restitching this I was also managing to make the thong strap fit tighter, as it keeps getting shorter and shorter.

After some fuss I managed to get the front of the thong sewed onto the back.

I tried it on, and WOW. The thong that was really loose and stretched out, now fits really tight, both front and rear. The rear strap that is now much shorter really fits tight between the cheeks of the butt. In thong design, strap length is everything, and even a quarter inch makes a lot of difference.

I have two of these thongs, both stretched out, but one repaired and one not. I can experiment with the other one some more.

Sebbie
Old 05-26-2015, 04:43 AM

While I applaud you on your persistence in rebuilding your thong but I have to think it was a lot of work and time that could have been spent finding a new one. As much as I hate to retire a favorite suit or thong I also enjoy the fun of finding a new one. Half the fun of having speedos and thongs is picking out new ones.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:41 AM

Part of the fun of making a new swim suit is to take a flat sheet of fabric and to turn it into a 3d object that defines and is defined by the part of the body it is worn over.
There is pleasure in repairing and modifying things, taking something that no longer works for you and making it good again. An item that you have had some time may have memories attached making it something that you value and being unable to continue using it may be sad for you. repairs and modifications, however difficult bring that item back into use.

If anyone wants to make their own suits I have the Stitchboy Patterns on my cloud drive and can allow access.