Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2015, 06:59 AM

Default Cold water reactions

A recent study has determined 2 distinct reaction to immersion in cold water that can clash and cause trouble for a swimmer.

The first is the involuntary inhale, a adult man will inhale about 1.5l of air if he drops into cold water. Combined with the sudden involuntary inhalation the heart rate rises as the body prepares to exert itself to escape from a dangerous watery environment. You may have stepped or jumped into the water deliberately but unless your body is used to entering cold water you will breathe in and your heart rate will increase.

The second is the mammalian diving reaction, if your face is under water this will stop you breathing in under water, and will lower your pulse rate to enable you to stay under water for longer without drowning.

If you enter cold water and the involuntary inhalation commences as you go underwater then you will inhale water and begin to drown.
If you survive the involuntary inhalation reaction but go underwater signals will be instructing your heart to speed up and slow down simultaneously, this can cause a heart attack.
80% of heart attacks in outdoor triathlons occur close to the start of the swim section.

The study suggests that if you intend to swim in outdoors in cold water you should climb rather than jump in and that you should avoid surface diving until you have adjusted to the water temperature. Swimming every day in cold water will acclimatise your body to it and make water entry less traumatic and safer.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:36 PM

I have read that whenever they have those "Polar Bear" jumps where people jump into a hole in the ice to reach for some unknown reason that they have a cardiologist on hand - just in case. (I would think a van to transport them to the psych ward would be a good idea too)
Old 06-27-2015, 02:11 PM

Interesting, as I may do a dip in the sea on New Year's Day. I suppose it won't be too bad as you are immersing gradually.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:39 PM

Default No worries

Bede,

I have done a few of the New Years dips. Never an issue. Mine were all beach starts and I was the only guy in a brief swimsuit. I would never wear anything else! All those extra clothes soak up ice water. I found that it was easiest to run in as fast as I could, dunk, and then head back out. It is actually a great experience and not nearly as bad as you think. My man parts showed back up a few weeks later (just kidding).

STS
Old 06-28-2015, 11:02 AM

Most people seems to wear a lot of clothing when they enter the sea, but I don't see how that would keep you warm. It be sensible know, to keep a lot of clothing on when waiting around on the beach, then remove it at the start time.