Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Speedo Member

Default Looking for a tri short, need your shopping skills!

Hey guys!
I've been gone for a week or two because I've had surgery on my mouth. I've been on bed rest for a week.
Anyway, I'm looking for a tri short for my race in December. It's sort of like a jammer but it's designed for swimming, cycling, and running. They're quite expensive. I've been searching around eBay and Amazon for a good deal but I can't seem to find any that I like.
I was wondering if you guys know any other websites or items that I missed on eBay or Amazon that is more within my price range.
I do have an Amazon prime membership.
I wear a small (28-30) and I want the price to be under $30, maybe $40...

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:41 PM

Default Why?

When I began triathlons the attire was your basic Speedo or other brand swim brief. I still race in them, and a few other die hard tri guys do. Nothing is better in the swim. If you are wearing a wetsuit for the swim, they fit far better under the wetsuit, too. On the bike and run, briefs are way more comfortable than the one piece tri short set up, on hot days far more cool, and they look really awesome.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:10 PM

This is a difficult challenge.
To find cheap triathlon shorts in a small size.
In the UK you have the advantage the children's clothes are Value Added Tax free and can slip into children's clothes to your advantage.

Cheapest and best offer:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speedo-Tri...em5892a c12bd

I know Bourne Sports, have used them before for running gear and know them to be entirely trustworthy. This looks like they are dumping unsellable stock. Bid quickly.
£6+£12 postage but they don't mail to USA or Canada, private message me if you need them sent on.

2nd offer:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Mile-Tr...on+shorts+mens

Chinese made and branded, £15 don't know what US postage would be.

After these 2 shorts things get expensive.
Unless you fancy these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNWT-SPEED...32b083c0f#shId
They even mail to USA for £4

Last edited by Torchwatch : 05-17-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:39 AM
Speedo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimTeamSpeedo
When I began triathlons the attire was your basic Speedo or other brand swim brief. I still race in them, and a few other die hard tri guys do. Nothing is better in the swim. If you are wearing a wetsuit for the swim, they fit far better under the wetsuit, too. On the bike and run, briefs are way more comfortable than the one piece tri short set up, on hot days far more cool, and they look really awesome.

It's more of a padding issue. Cycling shorts have a padding on the back to making cycling more comfortable. Tri shorts have less padding but it still helps. I have not seen brief style cycling or Tri shorts.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:41 AM
Speedo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchwatch
This is a difficult challenge.
To find cheap triathlon shorts in a small size.
In the UK you have the advantage the children's clothes are Value Added Tax free and can slip into children's clothes to your advantage.

Cheapest and best offer:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speedo-Tri...em5892a c12bd

I know Bourne Sports, have used them before for running gear and know them to be entirely trustworthy. This looks like they are dumping unsellable stock. Bid quickly.
£6+£12 postage but they don't mail to USA or Canada, private message me if you need them sent on.

2nd offer:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Mile-Tr...on+shorts+mens

Chinese made and branded, £15 don't know what US postage would be.

After these 2 shorts things get expensive.
Unless you fancy these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNWT-SPEED...32b083c0f#shId
They even mail to USA for £4

Thanks you for your input! It seems like all the best deals are overseas. I'm going to check some sporting goods store around town for some good deals.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:00 AM

They actually make padded tri briefs... I have several. I'll see if I can locate a link...
Old 05-18-2013, 04:22 AM

Paragonsports.com has some padded Tri briefs as does Swimoutlet.com. When I did a search there was a site called Coloradocyclist.com that appeared to have a few deals on Triathlon items.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:20 PM

Triathlon padded briefs are good if you do not suffer from the saddle rubbing on your inner thighs during the bike section, your thighs rubbing together during the run section and you are happy to be watched and photographed by strangers as you go around the course without feeling exposed and embarrassed. I got 8 seconds on regional TV after my first triathlon, but then I did draft onto the TV camera car while wearing a red and turquoise tri-suit.

Although swim jammers, cycle shorts and Lycra running shorts look similar there are design differences in them and compromises have to be made to make triathlon shorts that work well in all 3 sports.

Cycle shorts have a seat pad, originally made from the skin of the Swiss chamois goat, although synthetic pads are now used. A thinner and faster drying pad has to be used in triathlon shorts.

Cycle shorts have leg grippers and swim jammers have elastic in the leg end hems to stretch the shorts past the big upper leg muscles and achieve a compression effect, this is not wanted when running (and is irritating) so there is nothing added to the leg end hems. The shorts are able to ride up over the upper leg muscles without ill effect and can be shortened if desired.

Cycle shorts have very high waists, as the racing cyclist bends forwards over the handlebars and low waisted shorts might expose the small of his back on chilly days. Swimmers prefer lower waisted jammers, the solution to this issue is lower cut shorts and upper body clothing that is longer at the back (to reach the shorts) or is cut away so as only to give somewhere to pin a number. (The upper clothing to be put on at the swim/bike transition).

Jammers are designed to be worn without underwear (though some swimmers wear speedos underneath) but many have some form of inner lining. Cycle shorts are meant to be worn without underwear and are shaped with space and support at the front. Lycra running shorts are designed to be worn with underwear, their 2 panel design leaves little in the way of space or support for the runner who goes commando. Since many jammers and cycle shorts use the more supporting and comfortable 6 panel design, it seems better to make tri shorts in this pattern.

The side panels in cycle shorts are curved into a natural sitting position, while jammers and Lycra running shorts have straight sides. The tri shorts designer must decide whether to make his shorts straight sided or give a little curve to them.
Triathlon shorts should have a waist cord to tie them, jammers, Lycra running shorts and some cycle shorts have waist cords. A garment that will go through the varied rigours of a triathlon needs to be secured and ignored through the course of the event.

After working through the design compromises above I would rather like to make some triathlon padded swim briefs and shorts just to see how they come out.