Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Nike
I equate the jubilant celebration you see at gay pride parades with the same outlandish, joyful, and often overtly sexual activity that you see at Carnivale parades around the world. And who would condemn that? It's a party!
I have no personal inhibitions to condemning the activity which occurs at some of the "Carnival Parades".
Old 07-20-2015, 06:07 PM

I too would not condemn the party atmosphere. However, these celebrations, for the most part, are the only mass media publicity the gay community gets. If the partiers are dancing around in speedos or in drag, that is the image that is projected.
It is all a matter of perception. If the only time people see gays in the paper or on TV they are wearing speedos -- what do you think they will think when they see a man on the beach or around a pool wearing a speedo?
Old 07-20-2015, 06:16 PM

On the other hand, if the only time they see an Amazonian Indian on TV wearing very little, would they make a comparison to a man on a beach wearing very little?
Old 07-20-2015, 10:48 PM

Truth be told, the "speedo stigma" is not a manifestation of the straight community. Plenty of gay guys see another guy in a speedo at the beach and they assume he is gay. That said, if anyone is going to decide my sexual orientation based on the swimsuit I wear, so be it. I jusy hope they also think I can rock my swimsuit well.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:00 PM

Smile

The real issue is stereotyping a person by the clothing he/she wears. Is a young woman who wears work boots a lesbian; is a guy who wears pink shirts gay, etc., etc. If a person is defined by what he/she wears, then the whole person is not being seen or considered; what is assumed is that person is gay because he wears a speedo. People are more than what they wear, more than what color they are, more than what nationality they are.

D67
Old 07-21-2015, 12:05 AM

I don't understand the reasoning that speedos and short shorts became a "symbol" of the Gay Community.

Prior to the 90's, speedos and short shorts were very normal for young men and teenagers. How could something that's already the norm become a unique symbol for a particular group? Furthermore, speedos and short shorts have always been deemed as moderately erotic no matter about the sexual orientation of the wearer or the viewer.

I believe the trend away from short shorts and speedos was actually initiated by Michael Jordan who introduced long shorts on the basketball court and unfortunately that style is now the rock solid norm for men's shorts and swim suits.

However, I believe the trend is slowly being reversed and I'm seeing more guys in short running shorts. Change won't happen by itself and you have to "Take the initiative".

Last edited by California Dolphin : 07-21-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:12 AM

Default Right on point D67

Well said, D67. Bravo!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dolphin
I Prior to the 90's, speedos and short shorts were very normal for young men and teenagers. How could something that's already the norm become a unique symbol for a particular group? ".
Because the media loves a stereotype. Another example is the English flag. Because a far right xenophobic group uses it, it is then assumed that if you display it you must be xenophobic.
Also, it used to be if you had very short hair, it was assumed that you were a hoodlum.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:52 PM

Default "English" Flag

Just a quicky here
The English flag is the cross of St.George. The British flag is the Union Jack. Very relevat with the "United" Kingdom facing possible dismemberment
Old 07-23-2015, 12:02 AM

The extreme right BNP use both flags England and Great Britain.

It appears the whole Scottish independence referendum was a means by the prime minister to turn the Scottish people away from the Labour Party and towards the SNP. the Labour party lost it's Scottish MPs and lost the general election.