Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Lycra Forums > General Mens Lycra Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 10:57 AM

Default "Types" of Lycra

I have a vast collection of lycra items from over the years. Recently I splurged and purchased a somewhat expensive bike short to wear on my rides. I noticed the exterior had a mat finish, not shiney. This started me thinking of all the pieces I have, many are thicker while others feel thin, other shine, while some are mat. Some are rough to the touch and others buttery smooth.

OK lycra gurus, why is that? I am sure it is manufacturing, but is it more lycra than nylon or visa versa . Not sure, since I look at the content labels of completely different items they report the same makeup.

Hmmmmmmmmmm??????????
Old 08-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Default me too....

Would be very interested to see any answers re. my recent attempts to correctly guess a speedo fabric (post#102 general chat speedo pix thread)
Old 08-12-2014, 02:51 PM

Singletlover, like you I would guess it was in the manufacturing process for the different textures on the fabric.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:33 PM

Default Fabric

Yes, but hope Tw is reading, to explain what different manufacturing processes produce which differing surface results.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:28 PM

Default Carvico

I'm not sure how the manufacturing process affects the shine or matte surface, but this company's range of fabrics shows you that there are many variations on the weight and composition.

http://www.carvico.com/en/fabrics/find-a-fabric
Old 08-17-2014, 07:08 PM

Default so much....

Wow - technology sure has moved on from the days of those awful standard woollen swim trunks! Thanks for posting info. James
Old 08-22-2014, 11:35 AM

Well now, looks like I have some work to do this weekend. Using the site listed it may answer the questions.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2015, 10:00 AM
Speedo Member

I've always wanted to see the manufacturing process of spandex/lycra. I keep hoping I'll get lucky and it'll be featured on an episode of "how it's made". But my big hope is that one day we'll be able to 3d print garments in the textile; with no unnecessary or uncomfortable seams and as anatomically correct as one desires. Just scan your body, select a pattern and hit "enter".
Old 01-15-2020, 07:41 PM

Talking Types of lycra

A good friend of mine was caught wearing a girl's one piece water polo swimsuit that fit him quite well with the exception of his well outlined erection tightly encased it the lycra swimsuit and exposed lower rear buns. He really liked wearing it, as some of the other guys at the sports club were wearing baggy long legged sports shorts. They wished they were in a similar swimsuit like my friend. He was well covered most of the time at the club, but things changed for him, when told it was time for him to strip off tight water polo swimsuit. He would blush, when taken to the men's dressing room by a senior club staff member. The tight clinging lycra material kept him very excited when the staff member was soon stripping it off him. He didn't go swimming and the girls tight one piece water polo swimsuit was still dry. He was too bashful having to give it up and be totally naked with a full erection. The staff member was an older guy, trying to reassure him not to be embarrassed having that girls swimsuit stripped off him. There he was, very secure and with a nice hard on an enjoying the tight feeling in the well fitting lycra water polo swimsuit. Some of his friends watched his soon to be naked plight began, when the senior member would slowly open the long back zipper on the girls tight water polo one piece swimsuit while he pouted and blushed, as the staff member would firmly, yet slowly unzip the long back zipper that ran down to his wedgied rear cheeks under the sexy girl's swimsuit. The tight swim suit was soon unzipped, as he continued pouting and beg not to strip it off him. The one piece swimsuit now unzipped and half off his upper torso while the lower half was still keeping his hard penis very secure and well wedgied between his rear buns. The other guys watching envied him wearing that girls swimsuit, yet feeling bad for him having it stripped off him, as he did look good in it even as a guy. The senior club staff member continued stripping it off my friend without any emotional feelings, while my friend would squeeze his legs closely and continue resisting, but to no avail when the tight still clinging swimsuit was down to his lower waist and now the staff member would begin unsnugging his hard on from the almost off lycra girls one piece swimsuit, when he let out a childish yelp, seeing his erection slowly slip out from under the ivory colored inside lining, then feeling the staff member's warm hands working the lycra tight one piece swimsuit out from between his rear buns and after much pulling and tugging the beautiful girls one piece lyca swimsuit was peeled down to his ankles and soon off his kicking feet, when the staff member would say " finally, it's off and he's ready for the showers." while the guys watching would be surprised seeing him wear it and then stripped and peeled of his squirming naked body showtime style. Yes, if a man is in decent or good shape and still young, he can wear a woman,s one piece lycra water polo swimsuit before it has to come off him.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:49 PM

Lycra is a reg. trade name belonging to Dupont for their version of Spandex.
The manufacturing process for Spandex is to insert threads of Elastane into the weave either in one direction making 2 way stretch or in both directions, up and across the loom making 4 way stretch.

The elastane can be added to any fabric so there are nylon, polyester and cotton Lycras. If the base fabric is shiny wet look you will get shiny wet look Lycra. If the base fabric is matt, you will get matt Lycra.

The more Elastane you add to a fabric the more stretchy it will become, my new Aussibums are 20% Elastane, while my Aqux Guard bikini is 13% Elastane.

The base fabric can be dyed any colour before weaving and the woven fabric can be printed upon.

The thickness of the thread used on the loom dictates the thickness of the finished fabric and garment.

Elastane is fragile, leave it damp in your swim bag and it will break down, washing with hot water and synthetic detergents and it will break down, wring out hard after swimming and it will break down, sunbathe in bright sunlight and it will break down, swim in chlorinated water and it will break down. The sign that your Lycra has broken down is that the ass of your swim suit will hang down to your knees, not a good look. To avoid this look some designers build in a rear seam in their swim briefs and bikinis it limits sag as the suit gets older.

You may notice small broken threads in the fabric of an older swim suit, this is the elastane breaking down and fracturing.

The Enduarance suits use much less or no Elastane and are consequently non stretchy.

Any questions ?

Last edited by Torchwatch : 01-16-2020 at 03:52 PM.