Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2016, 06:03 PM

Default My dad is my Speedo inspiration

I was always a bit too embarrassed to wear Speedos growing up. It didn't help that not many guys were seen wearing them, and I didn't like the idea of the attention they would bring if I were to wear one. I'd have been a lot more at ease wearing one if they were the norm, but sadly they never were here in America. Seeing a guy in Speedos was a rare sight. As a 16 year old there were a few times where I came close to buying a Speedo from the local sports store, but I even had a lack of confidence about buying one never mind wearing it. Instead, I remember sneaking into my dads bedroom one day and borrowing one of his Speedo trunks. The next time I went swimming I put it on under some boardshorts and I remember how fantastic it felt. I would've loved to have taken the shorts off at the pool but that was as far as I went at the time. This became a recurring thing for a little while, and it was satisfying enough. I was able to wear a Speedo, and not be seen.

A couple of years later and I'm off on holiday with the extended family for a couple of weeks in the summer. Obviously, I had knee length board shorts packed for the trip. On about the third evening dad and I were sat on the hotel balcony in his room enjoying a few beers. He comments that I'm going to end up with some awful tan lines due to the board shorts. I shrugged it off, but then I said I'd would wear them but they were "uncool". I remember dad laughed at me a little bit for being too embarrassed to wear one, so I just threw a question at him - why are you not embarrassed to wear them? "They're just swimming trunks" I remember he said. I replied saying how boardshorts were what guys normally wear, and dad explained how Speedos were a lot more comfortable to wear, how you swam better in them, they dried quicker and so on. Of course I knew this. I asked another question, about how he could be so confident wearing them. He told me that Speedos are all he'd ever worn to the beach or pool, and so that was the norm for him. I'd somehow never really noticed it before but he was right. I don't think I had ever seen dad wear shorts. He commented that I should take a leaf out of his book. If shorts were what I wanted to wear then I should wear them, but I shouldn't be wearing them just because other guys do or because it's what's considered normal.

My next question to him was about any comments or remarks that other people made about wearing Speedos, especially from girls. He said he receives the odd remark here and there but he just laughs them off and has learnt not to care what others think or say. That evening dad lent me one of his spare Speedos when I said I'd maybe wear one at the pool the next day. He also told me not to make a big deal about it because it would just encourage others to pick up on it. Just act normal he said, and he gave me a great bit of advice in general - "whatever you do, do it with confidence and nobody will ever doubt or judge you." I didn't know it at the time, but that is the absolute truth. Confidence conquers all.

I wore the trunks the following day and it felt quite liberating in a way, and not a word was said. I continued to wear them for the duration of the holiday and by the end I'd started to question why I ever shied away from wearing them in the first place. Upon my return home and I set out and bought a couple of Speedos for myself. I gradually started wearing them more and more over time. Of course there were a few comments but I just did what dad had told me and laughed them off. Now 25 years old, I can't actually remember the last time I wore shorts to the pool or beach.

I was just recently looking back over some home videos of some family vacations and picked up on how dad was wearing Speedos on holiday. I'd never noticed at the time. Whenever I thought about wearing Speedos I was too concerned with what other guys were wearing. I probably should have looked to dad as inspiration a lot earlier. He must've had great confidence to wear them when nobody else around him was. Thought I'd share a few videos of him wearing Speedos from the aforementioned home vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX8qnjEQvYM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJWM5-fDe1c
Old 03-04-2016, 01:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to dm106 Send a message via Skype™ to dm106
Default Wearing speedos

Hey Robin, that's great. My dad didn't wear them but I was on the swim team so I had a good excuse to be wearing them. I sometimes did feel weird to be the "only" guy in speedos sometimes but - I usually wore that team speedo when that was going to be the case and if anyone made a dumb remark I just said these are my swim team speedos. Now, like you (and your dad) I don't give a crap about a comment.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm106
Hey Robin, that's great. My dad didn't wear them but I was on the swim team so I had a good excuse to be wearing them. I sometimes did feel weird to be the "only" guy in speedos sometimes but - I usually wore that team speedo when that was going to be the case and if anyone made a dumb remark I just said these are my swim team speedos. Now, like you (and your dad) I don't give a crap about a comment.

I have asked my dad when and why he first started wearing Speedos and he said it was when he was on the swim team in high school. He's worn them since then and has never felt inclined to wear board shorts, regardless of if he gonna be the only one in Speedos or not.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Captain.Jammer
Thumbs up

First off, welcome, RobinSpeedos, to the board. It's great to have you here and contributing nicely to the forum, already.

I really appreciated your post. I am still far from being ready to wear racer cut suits in public, but reading about your father being your inspiration does help.

Lastly, thanks for the video links. It's fun to watch and see a man that is not hesitant or apologetic about his choice of swimwear. As a side note, I take it that, in the first video, the young one in the speedo that is teasing your dad is not you.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:37 PM

Hey! Nope, that's not me. The videos are from big family/friend holidays, so the people in the vids are relatives/friends of the family.

Secondly dad is far from apologetic about the fact he wears Speedos. Evidence of this can be seen on his Facebook! http://i.imgur.com/s1KkOTA.jpg
Old 03-27-2016, 10:40 PM

Your dad is also a fucking DILF. Especially in those Speedos.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:30 PM

This post is great! I unfortunately had no speedo role models. But it's glad to see some dads do!

We plan to have kids, and I hope my choices influence our kids to be as open minded and empowered as you were!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:02 PM

Inspiring!
Old 06-28-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrief22
This post is great! I unfortunately had no speedo role models. But it's glad to see some dads do!

We plan to have kids, and I hope my choices influence our kids to be as open minded and empowered as you were!

Dad and I were at the beach not that long ago with some friends and family. We were the only two in Speedos whilst everybody else was in shorts. It obviously raises a few eyebrows and we get some comments about it, but there's something really empowering about the situation as well. I got such a feeling of confidence from it, especially having somebody Speedo-clad beside me too.

I won't lie, between the ages of 10-14 I used to be quite embarrassed at having a dad who wore Speedos. There were a few times when some friends saw or found out that he wore Speedos and there would be jokes made about him. I never really saw what was so 'uncool' about wearing them, but for those few years I really wished he would've just worn shorts. After those years I really grew to admire his confidence and my mindset totally changed because of him.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:46 AM
Speedo Member

Hi, it's 'RobInSpeedos' dad here.

Rob decided to show me his opening post here a couple of nights ago, telling me how much confidence I've managed to instil in him. Frankly I think it's great, and it's a damn shame more men don't wear Speedos. They're such a convenient piece of swimwear.

The second reason Rob showed me his post was to introduce me to the board, which he thought I might enjoy since I've enjoyed wearing Speedos all my life.

I received a nice welcome via PM from another user, somewhat encouraging me to share some "stunning" pics... I'm not sure they're stunning but here's the proof that I've been a life long Speedo wearer. This photograph was taken all the way back in my early twenties, and this one is much more recent.