Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2015, 06:30 AM

Can't see the big difference between 2 inches and 1.5 inches. I have my own pool so don't go to local public pools but whenever I travel I have a one inch side suit I wear. The only comment I ever got was from the bartender that said it was good to see a guy in a skimpy suit that actually had the body to wear one. He said it was usually guys that were out of shape or wore a suit so tight it looked like sausage casing
Old 04-03-2015, 09:05 AM

You don't see a 1.5 inch suit in competitive divers, for example, so you're conscious you're wearing less than standard. But when you're in the water you don't really notice the difference. Well not much, anyway.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:24 PM

Smile

I think you inspired me to take the plunge Bede. Yesterday I ordered a classic Aussiebum 1.5" nylon suit. I haven't worn a nylon suit in years and decided to get one, and, what the hell, go for the 1.5 rather than the 2". I'll let you know how it is when it arrives.

D67
Old 04-12-2015, 05:50 PM

The only problem with them is that they're really thin. At least with the Hom brief they are of a decent texture, which makes you feel much more secure.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:18 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede735
The only problem with them is that they're really thin. At least with the Hom brief they are of a decent texture, which makes you feel much more secure.

I've had some AB suits in the past and I know they're thin. I was going for cheap - $11.71 USD and free shipping. The sheer rating is pretty decent, but if it's too thin, I've got a 1" black Cover Male bikini I could wear under it if it feels comfortable.

D67
Old 04-12-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
You don't see a 1.5 inch suit in competitive divers, for example, so you're conscious you're wearing less than standard. But when you're in the water you don't really notice the difference. Well not much, anyway.

For years the divers wore a suit that was extremely tight with about 6 inch sides made out of a strong spandex. The though being that they would stay in place when they dove. At the same time the swimmers were in nylon and about 3-4 inch sides. It was the 1972 Olympics in Munich when Mark Spitz showed up in the now famous stars and tripe suit that designs and patterns really emerged. In the Los Angeles Olympics when Greg Louganis wore the regular 2-3 inch speedo that the diver really got in on the color and design band wagon in a skimpier suit. I am sure that the size of the speedo now depends on either the team preferences or that of the diver. I am guessing that the suit is way down the list on important things a diver thinks about when perfecting his diving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_nmo2ysstfl1rs6ymro1_400.jpg (68.1 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 PM

I wear Turbo, TyR and Sporti with 2" sides to my Y and high school pools and have no problems. I also just bought a 1.5" Aussiebum Classic nylon suit (on sale). Love the feel of the nylon and can't wait to have it on the beach on Lake MI (once the ice melts!)
Old 04-13-2015, 08:43 PM

Smile

Welcome to the board swimmer. I hope you enjoy the conversations and contribute as often as you want. Incidentally, I also just ordered an AB 1.5 classic and am eager to try it out at the Y where I swim. I also don't expect any problems since I've been wearing 2" suits as long as I've been swimming there.

Dooley67
Old 04-14-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDave
For years the divers wore a suit that was extremely tight with about 6 inch sides made out of a strong spandex. The though being that they would stay in place when they dove. At the same time the swimmers were in nylon and about 3-4 inch sides. It was the 1972 Olympics in Munich when Mark Spitz showed up in the now famous stars and tripe suit that designs and patterns really emerged. In the Los Angeles Olympics when Greg Louganis wore the regular 2-3 inch speedo that the diver really got in on the color and design band wagon in a skimpier suit. I am sure that the size of the speedo now depends on either the team preferences or that of the diver. I am guessing that the suit is way down the list on important things a diver thinks about when perfecting his diving.
That reminds me a bit of this photograph:
tumblr_n16js0DYif1slely1o1_500.jpg

Does that mean competitive swimmers and divers, when they're in training, prefer really brief suits?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
That reminds me a bit of this photograph:
Attachment 417

Does that mean competitive swimmers and divers, when they're in training, prefer really brief suits?

I used to know a swimmer that competed in the Olympics. Their favorite practice suits were any suit that was given to them by a swimsuit company and that fit. He preferred a suit briefer than his competition suit so that the tan line would be smaller than the suit and not show a white line. That was the only comment he made about practice suits (other than offering me a couple cuz he had so many)